Joe Gelhardt

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Joe Gelhardt

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:31 pm I think Kenneth was probably refering more to the fact that Gelhardt didn't fit the lone role in the Bielsa system, in a similar way that Nketiah and Roofe didn't either. In a front 2, which Marsch seems to prefer he should fit in better, and possible even if JM plays 1 up front as that role is different now as to how it was under MB.

Even in the U23s it seemed like Gelhardt and Greenwood swapped the 9 and 10 roles quite a lot, quite probably part of the Bielsa learning process to make them better players and also to see which of the 2 fitted the positions better as neither were likely naturally exactly what MB required in those positions.
That's exactly what i meant.
I want him in the team asap, but not the lone role, it's not for him as of yet.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:20 pm Well Kenny I'm saying that Joffy "CAN BE" the striker in Marsch's system. The talent is there. You're saying he can't. It's not his best role. Who's the negative Nellie here?? And I would counter your assertion and say that he struggled to get in the team because Bielsa didn't rate him over his other options. Simple as that...
What specific talents do you see in him for the lone role ?

PB is the best for the lone role that's plain for all to see, after him we have nobody really suitable.
The only reason DJ came next was because of his speed to harry the defence into making a rash decision or a mistake, and the 4 behind being able to capitalise.
Joffy is a lot better up front than DJ, but not suitable on his own.
TR can't do it, full stop.
Greenwood, no chance on his own, but again shines better in a 2 or 3 up front and is possibly a No.10 (jury out yet)
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:04 pm What specific talents do you see in him for the lone role ?

PB is the best for the lone role that's plain for all to see, after him we have nobody really suitable.
The only reason DJ came next was because of his speed to harry the defence into making a rash decision or a mistake, and the 4 behind being able to capitalise.
Joffy is a lot better up front than DJ, but not suitable on his own.
TR can't do it, full stop.
Greenwood, no chance on his own, but again shines better in a 2 or 3 up front and is possibly a No.10 (jury out yet)
The system is designed to aggressively win back possession and then attack as a unit. I don't think you can call it a "lone striker" role in the traditional sense. They need to find a #10 to play underneath him. There will be a lot of interchange. For example Joffy tends to drift to the right which would allow Raphinha to tuck inside in certain moments. And JM will give the Brazilian that freedom. But what I have seen is his ability to create for others. The best example is his work on the end line that led to the goal on Sunday. That was beautiful! The passes have not always come off. But you can see the ideas. And he also has that desire to score goals which you can't teach. I will say that I have not seen enough of his finishing. So I'm offering an opinion based on pretty limited information. The good news is my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. Cheers! 8-)
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I was thinking we were discussing why people couldn't understand why JG hadn't been given the lone striker role more this season.

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Great news
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:18 pm
Great news
Absolutely. He's a pivotal player for us already, I would argue. Going to be class next season and definitely a future England senior player in him in the not too distant future.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:18 pm
Great news
Thank f**k for that.
I think he will get much more game time under JM and hopefully that will lead to a call up for the England U21's
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Joe Gelhardt- New contract talks underway.

Post by lufc1304 »

Not before time, we have a star on our hands in Joffy
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Joffy will be the next Raphinha/Phillips to depart ER for a big fee :( maybe in a couple of years time.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:28 am Joffy will be the next Raphinha/Phillips to depart ER for a big fee :( maybe in a couple of years time.
Why? Why would he want to leave us when we're in a top six position.... :duno:

:lol: :lol:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Just hope Joff stays grounded, a call up for England will be on t'cards, depends who he mixes with and who trys to turn his head.
I think he's more than happy at Leeds, it's up to the club to give him more game time and JM to put trust in him, he's still a way off just yet, but improving as he goes.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:38 am Why? Why would he want to leave us when we're in a top six position.... :duno:

:lol: :lol:
You've got us failing next season, so unlikely we'll finish in the top six, Swannie.

Joffy is definitely a player we could make a huge profit on in the future, as we are a selling club, particularly players on our books with any great value.

We are now a feeder club for the elite.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:10 pm Just hope Joff stays grounded, a call up for England will be on t'cards, depends who he mixes with and who trys to turn his head.
I think he's more than happy at Leeds, it's up to the club to give him more game time and JM to put trust in him, he's still a way off just yet, but improving as he goes.
Joffy could easily end up at Liverpool.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:30 pm You've got us failing next season, so unlikely we'll finish in the top six, Swannie.

Joffy is definitely a player we could make a huge profit on in the future, as we are a selling club, particularly players on our books with any great value.

We are now a feeder club for the elite.
We have been for 45 years ... 90% of all teams are.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:33 pm We have been for 45 years ... 90% of all teams are.
We weren't a selling club when promoted under Revie & to a certain extent under Wilko.

Once our 90s title winning team deteriorated, the likes of Batty, Speed & McAllister were moved on.

Different game nowadays, sadly for the worse!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:41 pm We weren't a selling club when promoted under Revie & to a certain extent under Wilko.

Once our 90s title winning team deteriorated, the likes of Batty, Speed & McAllister were moved on.

Different game nowadays, sadly for the worse!
TBF not many teams were when Revie was king, hence the 45 years. Under HW we were challengers for a very short time and that buys a little short term loyalty but Gary Mac quickly up camped for Liverpool... It's why I said we've been a selling team for 45 years... since around 77. Not something I enjoy but I don't like there's an elitism in football right now.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Great news. Make it a ten year contract.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

What a bullet header from Joffy.....Shearer-esq.

Involved in the move with a swivel & a back heel to Forshaw, then barges in at the back post with a terrific header.

Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Shame he's only 5ft 5 (or whatever). I don't kow why but I somehow feel that Greenwood is going to be a bigger and better player for us. No reason why I have just been sensing that for a while...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:28 am Joffy will be the next Raphinha/Phillips to depart ER for a big fee :( maybe in a couple of years time.
That is the model model Leon.

This is why we have the heavy Academy inbvestment and also the recruitment of Jesse who buys into that idea.

Without the huge revenue streams available to us it will always be.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa