Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Re: Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:58 pm You'd know that better than I but can we afford to have him learn in game.... I posted elsewhere that Ayling coud aslo play the DMF given coaching and time but unsure I'd want to start the season with either there. Ayling has defensive instincts, pace, strength, very good on the ball and can tackle. The hard part is understanding the positioning,

I think Struijk is the best DMF at the club atm, not sure he's seen that way by the manager though.. I think he would have been MB's guy for the job eventually.
Not my preference for sure. I would much rather have Adams or Camara on Match Day #1 than an untested project. But I'm not sure JM will see it that way. He is a Manager that very much trusts in his players. And is very loyal to players that buy into the project. His coaching philosophy is to put players in positions to succeed and coach them up so to speak. He also truly believes in bringing young players up through the club ranks. All of which leads me to believe that he is not too bothered at the moment. Again, this is just my take on it.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:28 pm Something tells me that Jesse is not overly desperate for players. One advantage of him coming in with 12 matches remaining last season is that he has a very clear understanding of the current players and how they might fit in with his system. He has already brought in specific need players in Aaronson, Kristensen, and Rocha. It may be that current squad members take on a more prominent or different role this season. For example maybe JM see's Robin Koch as a DM to play alongside Rocha. And maybe a couple of the kids like Joe Gelhardt become full time first team players. And in the case of Joffy maybe right into the starting eleven.

Just thinking out loud here. But I think they can be a bit patient with the next signings.
Strongly disagree.

Massive doubts exist over the style of play which has never worked in a top European league.

Indeed the only 2 examples of it at Premier league level was Ralf Rangnick at Manure who broke records for uselessness and Ralph Hassenhutl at Southampton whose only managed a 34% win percentage, has averaged 1.6 goals conceded per game and whose only finished above 15th once in 4 seasons.

Take Raphinha and KP out of this squad and we will go down unless.

1) Significant and quality replacements are added in plenty of time for Marsch to try and get the team coherent and well versed in his style of play.

2) Marsch shows a willingness to adapt his style.

I have serious doubts about his narrow style in the Premier League.

It works in lesser leagues because lesser players cant take advantage of its weaknesses.

In the Prem it has been shown to be easy to score against and hard to score from as its narrowness makes things overly congested and its lopsided pressing system makes a quick switch of play an easy get out leaving a full back isolated vs a winger which at Prem levelis a massive issue as basically every team has atleeast one tricky winger.

Arsenal-Bukayo Saka
Villa- Leon Bailey
Bournemouth- Siriki Dembele
Brighton- Leandro Trossard
Chelsea-Raph or Sterling
Palace- Wilf Zaha
Everton- Andros Townsend
Fulham- Harry Wilson
Leicester- Harvey Barnes
Liverpool-Mo Salah
Man City- Phil Foden
Manuere- Sancho
Newcastle- Alain Saint-Maximin
Forest- Brennen Johnson
Southampton- Redmond
Spurs- Son
West Ham- Bowen
Wolves- Neto.

And most have more than one who you really dont want tl leave 1v1.

Without signings in a timely fashion i would be even more concerned.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

CJay as always I appreciate your thoughts. But the argument about style is different than the point I was making. We can probably agree that more signings are desirable. I was simply stating an opinion that JM might not be feeling that same urgency. And I laid out the reasons why I think that.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:45 pm Strongly disagree.

Massive doubts exist over the style of play which has never worked in a top European league.

Indeed the only 2 examples of it at Premier league level was Ralf Rangnick at Manure who broke records for uselessness and Ralph Hassenhutl at Southampton whose only managed a 34% win percentage, has averaged 1.6 goals conceded per game and whose only finished above 15th once in 4 seasons.

Take Raphinha and KP out of this squad and we will go down unless.

1) Significant and quality replacements are added in plenty of time for Marsch to try and get the team coherent and well versed in his style of play.

2) Marsch shows a willingness to adapt his style.

I have serious doubts about his narrow style in the Premier League.

It works in lesser leagues because lesser players cant take advantage of its weaknesses.

In the Prem it has been shown to be easy to score against and hard to score from as its narrowness makes things overly congested and its lopsided pressing system makes a quick switch of play an easy get out leaving a full back isolated vs a winger which at Prem levelis a massive issue as basically every team has atleeast one tricky winger.

Arsenal-Bukayo Saka
Villa- Leon Bailey
Bournemouth- Siriki Dembele
Brighton- Leandro Trossard
Chelsea-Raph or Sterling
Palace- Wilf Zaha
Everton- Andros Townsend
Fulham- Harry Wilson
Leicester- Harvey Barnes
Liverpool-Mo Salah
Man City- Phil Foden
Manuere- Sancho
Newcastle- Alain Saint-Maximin
Forest- Brennen Johnson
Southampton- Redmond
Spurs- Son
West Ham- Bowen
Wolves- Neto.

And most have more than one who you really dont want tl leave 1v1.

Without signings in a timely fashion i would be even more concerned.
I'll wait to see how the squad develops, right now I have serious concerns. We need more quality signings.

We only have to pick up a few serious injuries, as we seem to do every season & we are right up sh*t street again.

Our two best players are on the way out, plus we are starting the season with three other players injured.

Dallas may not play at all in 2022/23.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:21 am I'll wait to see how the squad develops, right now I have serious concerns. We need more quality signings.

We only have to pick up a few serious injuries, as we seem to do every season & we are right up sh*t street again.

Our two best players are on the way out, plus we are starting the season with three other players injured.

Dallas may not play at all in 2022/23.
Dallas, Ayling, Raphinha, Philips, James won't play vs Wolves as things stand (know KP and Raph haven't gone yet but they are).

Cresswell to.

Whose the 3rd injured player?

We can only hope the club know what it's doing.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:32 am CJay as always I appreciate your thoughts. But the argument about style is different than the point I was making. We can probably agree that more signings are desirable. I was simply stating an opinion that JM might not be feeling that same urgency. And I laid out the reasons why I think that.
Fair enough Paul.

Was just explaining why if that is the case then Jesse is wrong :)
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

All gone a bit quiet on the incoming front.

No sense anything is close.

Does feel like without KP and Raph leaving we can't move on.

Wish Radz or the venture capitalists would put there hand into there pockets and inject some funds to allow us to move forward.
Signed

King Cjay

Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

For some reason I expected a few more of our players to be moving on such as Klich,Koch,Cooper,Roberts etc and more
Quality coming in.If we dont sign a proven striker ill be well pi..ed off .Why do i have a feeling of doom🙁
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Lots of reasons Tyzy, the main 2 being, the clown is running the club and Berts gone.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Second time in a matter.of weeks he has been seen going to Brussels.

Should be remembered also that Eindhoven is fairly close to Brussels as well.

Not a huge amount of difference in distance actually.

Bout 81 miles to Eindhoven where Cody Gakpo lives.

Bout 65miles to Bruges where Charles De Ketelaere is based.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 am
Second time in a matter.of weeks he has been seen going to Brussels.

Should be remembered also that Eindhoven is fairly close to Brussels as well.

Not a huge amount of difference in distance actually.

Bout 81 miles to Eindhoven where Cody Gakpo lives.

Bout 65miles to Bruges where Charles De Ketelaere is based.
Also lots of flight connections from Brussels. When I went to Berlin I had to change at Brussels.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I like change and asdisappointed as I am with Philips and raph leaving it was inevitable and we can allow ourselves to get excited for what might happen. Main targets seem to be Gakpo, Camara and De Ketelaere, I’d be surprised if we signed one of them let alone all 3. But if we did then it would be some transformation given those we already signed. A change a few of us have been waiting for and I personally think it could see us threatening the top half next season.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 am

Orta needs a bloody good haircut and a shave. He's beginning to look like a tramp.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

It seems like we've run out of dosh already.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:51 pm It seems like we've run out of dosh already.

I can't understand why we aren't looking at bringing in some loan players.

Not every incoming player has to be a full signing.
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:51 pm It seems like we've run out of dosh already.
Radz needs to splash out or ship out. Penny pinching doesn't work in the EPL. He'll make enough profit if he sells now. It's only his ego getting in the way.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Tyzy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:08 am For some reason I expected a few more of our players to be moving on such as Klich,Koch,Cooper,Roberts etc and more
Quality coming in.If we dont sign a proven striker ill be well pi..ed off .Why do i have a feeling of doom🙁
So how small would our squad be if we got rid of five or six more players come the start of the season?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rook wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:31 pm I can't understand why we aren't looking at bringing in some loan players.

Not every incoming player has to be a full signing.
That maybe the plan, once the signings we are after are concluded.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:40 pm That maybe the plan, once the signings we are after are concluded.

Let's hope so.

It's the most efficient way of bolstering the squad without blowing loads of money that we obviously don't have, 64.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Tyzy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:08 am For some reason I expected a few more of our players to be moving on such as Klich,Koch,Cooper,Roberts etc and more
Players have to be wanted by other clubs before we can move them on Tyzy. We can't just magic anyone out of the club even if they are surplus to requirements.