3 days to Southampton - Current Match day squad

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: 38 days to Wolves - Current Match day squad

Post by 1964white »

Lumiukko wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:18 pm Thanks for mapping that out Faaip. definitely looks lightweight to me still and highlights that we need some more players in to cover the departure of KP and Raph. I don't think Ayling will be on the bench for the start of the season, but I could be wrong. But if he is out still, and with Dallas many months away, we look very lightweight in the fullback area. I wonder if we have plans to keep Cody?
We are very lightweight right now, Lumi. We can't afford to go down the same road as last season.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

1964white wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:36 pm We are very lightweight right now, Lumi. We can't afford to go down the same road as last season.
I would have been close to happy if we had brought in the players we have and kept KP and Raph, with just LB competition needed as an absolute minimum. I recognise the need for a striker too, but we could have gotten by with a fit Bamford, Joffy, and Rodrigo.

As it is, we need as minimums:

KP replacement
Raph replacement
LB competition

And ideally:
Striker competition
Experienced backup GK

Plus, as an addition, I would LOVE to finally see a Pablo/Saiz replacement like Otavio. However, the only chance we see Otavio is if we get him as a Raph replacement.

If I got my wish, the team would start (in Jessie's 4-2-2-2):

Meslier
Kristensen
Llorente/Koch
Cooper
Firpo/A.N.Other
Roca
A.N.Other (KP)
Aaronson
A.N.Other (Raph)
Joffy
Bamford/A.N.Other (e.g. Keteleare)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lumiukko wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:18 pm Thanks for mapping that out Faaip. definitely looks lightweight to me still and highlights that we need some more players in to cover the departure of KP and Raph. I don't think Ayling will be on the bench for the start of the season, but I could be wrong. But if he is out still, and with Dallas many months away, we look very lightweight in the fullback area. I wonder if we have plans to keep Cody?
Agreed, it's not my 11 just the 11 I think JM will play if he starts with his favoured 4-2-2-2, I'd take a long look at Hjelde as the left sided CB and no idea who plays DMF now Kalvin has gone. That's the thorny issue we didn't solve last season

I'd keep Cody, I'd be interested to see if Ayling could play the DMF alongside Roca. Ayling has pace, carries the ball well, physical, has played CB a few times...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lumiukko wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:50 pm I would have been close to happy if we had brought in the players we have and kept KP and Raph, with just LB competition needed as an absolute minimum. I recognise the need for a striker too, but we could have gotten by with a fit Bamford, Joffy, and Rodrigo.

As it is, we need as minimums:

KP replacement
Raph replacement
LB competition

And ideally:
Striker competition
Experienced backup GK

Plus, as an addition, I would LOVE to finally see a Pablo/Saiz replacement like Otavio. However, the only chance we see Otavio is if we get him as a Raph replacement.

If I got my wish, the team would start (in Jessie's 4-2-2-2):

Meslier
Kristensen
Llorente/Koch
Cooper
Firpo/A.N.Other
Roca
A.N.Other (KP)
Aaronson
A.N.Other (Raph)
Joffy
Bamford/A.N.Other (e.g. Keteleare)
Agree with all of that, especially the needs. I'd have James/Harrison/Summerville available to switch to a wide system if we're having no luck in the hexagon... I know it gets called the rectangle but with the flared AM'S (narrow wingers) it's more a 6 sided figure
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:50 pm Agreed, it's not my 11 just the 11 I think JM will play if he starts with his favoured 4-2-2-2, I'd take a long look at Hjelde as the left sided CB and no idea who plays DMF now Kalvin has gone. That's the thorny issue we didn't solve last season

I'd keep Cody, I'd be interested to see if Ayling could play the DMF alongside Roca. Ayling has pace, carries the ball well, physical, has played CB a few times...
Interesting thought experiment as he can pass the ball pretty well too. Unfortunately not something likely possible in pre-season to try out due to Ayling's injury recovery. I'd be happy with trying Hjelde out, and/or Struijk if he's developed some more. Definitely keep Cody given he can cover both fullback positions.

As for DMF, I think all Leeds fans will agree that the club have to get an adequate replacement for KP. With the risk of turning this into the transfer thread, Camara is still my pick, followed by Berge. Adams isn't coming given our bad relationship with Leipzig.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lumiukko wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:56 pm Interesting thought experiment as he can pass the ball pretty well too. Unfortunately not something likely possible in pre-season to try out due to Ayling's injury recovery. I'd be happy with trying Hjelde out, and/or Struijk if he's developed some more. Definitely keep Cody given he can cover both fullback positions.

As for DMF, I think all Leeds fans will agree that the club have to get an adequate replacement for KP. With the risk of turning this into the transfer thread, Camara is still my pick, followed by Berge. Adams isn't coming given our bad relationship with Leipzig.
Forgot about that, yep, needs to learn in training. I guess there's more opportunity to do that under JM, MB's specialized training groups and murder ball probably not the best way to reposition a player
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Who's captain if Cooper doesn't start?

Phillips gone, Ayling, Dallas inured or not first 11, Klich (for me the best option as captain as he sees the whole pitch and has that temperament needed) is probably past his best.. I like a deep lying mid or CB as captain so Llorente? Seems to be favourite.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:53 pm Agree with all of that, especially the needs. I'd have James/Harrison/Summerville available to switch to a wide system if we're having no luck in the hexagon... I know it gets called the rectangle but with the flared AM'S (narrow wingers) it's more a 6 sided figure
I agree on using the wingers for width when needed (like we did in the last two games of the past season), and the additional subs will give us that freedom. Definitely want us to hold onto Summerville one more season to see what we've got there. I also think Harrison is particularly well suited to Marsch's system as he does better for goals when coming in narrower. He will be invaluable for switching between narrow and wider formations.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:03 pm Who's captain if Cooper doesn't start?

Phillips gone, Ayling, Dallas inured or not first 11, Klich (for me the best option as captain as he sees the whole pitch and has that temperament needed) is probably past his best.. I like a deep lying mid or CB as captain so Llorente? Seems to be favourite.
Something I hadn't considered. Like you I prefer a deep mid or CB as captain. But, with our senior players out injured or sold (or on the bench like Klich), if Cooper doesn't start, we have a conundrum. If Rodrigo starts, I can see it being given to him, but Llorente reluctantly would be my choice. I like Llorente as a defender, but he doesn't seem quite captain material to me.

Btw, good thread this. Is bringing up plenty of food for thought. Feels like some proper footy chat.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lumiukko wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 pm Something I hadn't considered. Like you I prefer a deep mid or CB as captain. But, with our senior players out injured or sold (or on the bench like Klich), if Cooper doesn't start, we have a conundrum. If Rodrigo starts, I can see it being given to him, but Llorente reluctantly would be my choice. I like Llorente as a defender, but he doesn't seem quite captain material to me.

Btw, good thread this. Is bringing up plenty of food for thought. Feels like some proper footy chat.
Thanks, I'll count it down and add and subtract when necessary. I also like proper football chat, so if we can keep personal bias off this thread it should keep being a good read... I'm not going to judge anyone here merely analyze.

Didn't consider Rodders as captain tbh, not sure why but it might be a good shout assuming he's a week by week starter. We did pay a lot for him so I'm not opposed to that and it might do him good to captain Leeds.. But in reality I think Cooper starts and stays captain despite there being better options to start on the left of Llorente
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

GK - Illan Meslier
RWB - Rasmus Kristensen
LWB - Junior Firpo
RCB - Diego Llorente
LCB - Liam Cooper
DMF - Adam Forshaw
DMF - Marc Roca
AMF - Rodrigo
AMF - Brandon Aaronson
FOR - Patrick Bamford
FOR - Joe Gelhardt

1. Kristoffer Klaesson - GK
2. Luke Ayling - RWB/CB
3. Robin Koch - CB/RB/DMF
4. Leo Hjelde - CB/LWB
5. Pascal Struijk - CB/LB/DMF
6. Jack Harrison - AMF/LW
7. Sam Greenwood - AMF/FOR
8. Dan James - LW/MF/FOR
9. Matteuz Klich - CMF/AMF

With Dallas, Forshaw & Ayling likely to be unavailable for a large chunk of next season plus Raphinha & Phillips departures imminent, we can't afford to move players on or else we could have a similar scenario to last season.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:03 pm Who's captain if Cooper doesn't start?

good point this with ayling and dallas out! very difficult to pick a clear captain out of the remainder - dare I say Cooper is a nailed on starter at the start of the season at least in part because he's the only clear captain?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

If cooper isn't captain it just might be Roca or Kristensen, I'd say Roca if he's DM.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: 36 days to Wolves - Current Match day squad

Post by The Subhuman »

Leif Davis has certainly caught the eye of JM, he's likely to be on the plane to Oz at this rate

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ne-3752269
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:47 pm Leif Davis has certainly caught the eye of JM, he's likely to be on the plane to Oz at this rate

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ne-3752269
Interesting that Faaip. Maybe we don't need a LB afterall? We don't know how Leif has developed recently, and at his age it can change fast. Also makes sense for Costa to at least get an opportunity to spend some time with Marsch, even if, personallY I think we should move him on (though I recognise the contribution he made in the promotion season and in our first season back into the PL.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The projected match squad gives us a clearer picture. The bench is heavier on defenders than it is on midfielders and forwards. You missed out Roberts. But it's still obvious that we need a couple of more attacking players.

Do we need another defensive midfielder given Forshaw's injuries. Shackleton would fit but sounds like he's leaving. Lewis Bate probably in the mix. As someone mentioned, wonder if Bogusz will get a good look in preseason. And that Citeh 18 y/o might be pushing the match day squad
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:12 pm The projected match squad gives us a clearer picture. The bench is heavier on defenders than it is on midfielders and forwards. You missed out Roberts. But it's still obvious that we need a couple of more attacking players.

Do we need another defensive midfielder given Forshaw's injuries. Shackleton would fit but sounds like he's leaving. Lewis Bate probably in the mix. As someone mentioned, wonder if Bogusz will get a good look in preseason. And that Citeh 18 y/o might be pushing the match day squad
I didn't, I don't think he makes the matchday 20... I do think Gyabi will make his first team squad debut earlier than most might imagine
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Summerville might make the 20 though for Hjelde or Struijk
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:16 pm Summerville might make the 20 though for Hjelde or Struijk
I'd bet on Summerville making it. He's definitely going on the pre-season tour and will get his chances. Perhaps even in the game against Blackpool next week where I expect a lot of peripheral players to get some minutes.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:12 pm The projected match squad gives us a clearer picture. The bench is heavier on defenders than it is on midfielders and forwards. You missed out Roberts. But it's still obvious that we need a couple of more attacking players.

Agree, we do need two more attacking players, particularly with losing Raph. Not sure Roberts is the answer, but maybe, just maybe, the Marsch system will be the right fit for him? We'll have a better idea in one month.