Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

Post by Jimang »

Sorry Faip, can't agree with you, records speak for themselves and all good teams are built on a solid defence. On last seasons evidence, in my opinion, Llorente and Koch are not Premier league class centre backs. Cooper is still prone to mistakes and after a promising first half to the season Struijk seemed to go backwards.
CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Jimang wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:55 pm Sorry Faip, can't agree with you, records speak for themselves and all good teams are built on a solid defence. On last seasons evidence, in my opinion, Llorente and Koch are not Premier league class centre backs. Cooper is still prone to mistakes and after a promising first half to the season Struijk seemed to go backwards.
I’m with faaip on this one. The problems last season was our non existent midfield and the man marking system. If we get our KP replacement right, him and Roca should help with this. We do need some competition for Firpo, quite surprised we haven’t been linked to any, not even a kid for the U23s. Perhaps later in the window if one becomes available.

Koch, Llorente, Cooper, Struijk are more than capable with Cresswell pushing and highly rated Hjelde also on the books.
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

Hope you are right, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say 🤞
hector

Post by hector »

The problem last season was not who the defenders were, but the lack of any continuity of partnerships....
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:05 am I'd take Adams for sure. But it's too difficult to say that given Kalvin's departure today. In fact, I'd fill bad for the kid and an impossible act he'd have to follow - a Yank trying to fill a local Leeds boys boots
Yes, good point. I feel anyone replacing KP is going to be on a hiding to nothing if they have a poor start. Similar, but worse than how fans feel about Firpo replacing Alioski (who was also a fans favourite).
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

CanuckMightyWhite wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:02 pm I’m with faaip on this one. The problems last season was our non existent midfield and the man marking system. If we get our KP replacement right, him and Roca should help with this. We do need some competition for Firpo, quite surprised we haven’t been linked to any, not even a kid for the U23s. Perhaps later in the window if one becomes available.

Koch, Llorente, Cooper, Struijk are more than capable with Cresswell pushing and highly rated Hjelde also on the books.
My thoughts too. I've not got a problem with Llorente and Koch like a few.
It was embarrassing ,last season, the ease in which our midfield was by-passed sometimes .
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

hector wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:13 pm The problem last season was not who the defenders were, but the lack of any continuity of partnerships....
Indeed it was. You need understanding and when we had a settled defensive unit at the end of the 2020-2021 season we were fairly tight defensively including only conceding 3 goals in 5 matches against the so called big 6.

We don't have to have a better midfielder than KP for us to do better next season as KP missed so many matches last season. If we have a defensive midfield that is stronger than Forshaw (who isn't a defensvie midfielder) then we should be a lot stronger next season.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

In theory if we could sign

Charles De Ketelaere.
Mohamed Camara
Cody Gakpo

Whilst selling KP and Raphinha then that makes the squad stronger.

It's obviously a risk in the sense that all signings are a risk but on paper 3 quality players is better than 2.

And you would think that is doable.

£42mil for Kalvin
£65mil for Raph.

£107mil.

De Ketelaere for £34mil
Cody Gakpo for £30mil.
Mohamed Camara for £25mil.

£89mil total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Rover
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Rover »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:00 pm In theory if we could sign

Charles De Ketelaere.
Mohamed Camara
Cody Gakpo

I''d sooner have Sander Berge than Camara. Berge has experience of the PL and Championship, he also stands well over six feet tall so should be good at set pieces.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:00 pm In theory if we could sign

Charles De Ketelaere.
Mohamed Camara
Cody Gakpo

It's obviously a risk in the sense that all signings are a risk but on paper 3 quality players is better than 2.

And you would think that is doable.

£42mil for Kalvin
£65mil for Raph.

£107mil.

De Ketelaere for £34mil
Cody Gakpo for £30mil.
Mohamed Camara for £25mil.

£89mil total.
Like the theory - even better when you consider how many games KP missed and how sh*te Raphinha was for part of the season.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:02 pm Like the theory - even better when you consider how many games KP missed and how sh*te Raphinha was for part of the season.
Agree on KP he is and has developed a bit of a sick note reputation (all be it the fee is still to low).

Raph I thought was more let down by what he had around him and so perhaps did to much at times or atleast tried to.

I think he felt the pressure of at times of being a 1 man attack.

When Raph goes he goes with my best wishes because without him we probably finish bottom of the league.

But if we get less than £65mil for him upfront I will be so annoyed.
Signed

King Cjay

VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Based on last season alone, if we keep Rapha, it would be a guarantee of Premiership status.

That’s why we need top dollar because we are going to need a lot of quality to fill that role.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:48 am Based on last season alone, if we keep Rapha, it would be a guarantee of Premiership status.

That’s why we need top dollar because we are going to need a lot of quality to fill that role.
totally agree. he was by far and has been by far our best player since his arrival
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

An awful rumour going around started by a Spurs fan who is apparently considered an itk amongst there support.

He said we are looking at Harry Winks!!!

Sounds mental but Victor does have a habit of going for old targets and Winks was one.

Also it concerns me that we are only signing 1 cm.

Shows we have learned nothing.

1 injury and we are back to biscuit legs Forshaw ans exhausted Klich
Signed

King Cjay

Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:13 pm An awful rumour going around started by a Spurs fan who is apparently considered an itk amongst there support.

He said we are looking at Harry Winks!!!

Sounds mental but Victor does have a habit of going for old targets and Winks was one.

Also it concerns me that we are only signing 1 cm.

Shows we have learned nothing.

1 injury and we are back to biscuit legs Forshaw ans exhausted Klich
please don't depress me Cjay
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Isn't Harry Winks in McFly?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

faaip wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:23 pm Isn't Harry Winks in McFly?
No he doesn't.

Why do these Orta stories keep surfacing.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Rover
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Rover »

Apparently we are interested in Adama Traore; does anybody think, other than Orta, he is a decent signing?
foxy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by foxy »

Rover wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:08 pm Apparently we are interested in Adama Traore; does anybody think, other than Orta, he is a decent signing?
isn't dan James sufficient as a quick headless chicken?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

foxy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:38 pm isn't dan James sufficient as a quick headless chicken?
We need one on each wing....
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa