The sacking of Bielsa - Right or Wrong ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Was the sacking the right thing to do

Poll ended at Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:57 pm

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 54

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The sacking of Bielsa - Right or Wrong ?

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:20 pm Well if it's all over tw@tter it must be true :roll:
I mentioned this a few days ago before it hit twitter, Radz & co are reacting to players concerns, nevertheless his group of lads will be naturally upset with the way things have turned out, it must feel like a bereavement as he was a father-figure to them.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Goodbye Marcelo, you wonderful, courageous, principled man.

Please don't think we all wanted you to go because we didn't.

Knee-jerk decisions are rarely right.

As to the players, we can only hope for a 'new manager bounce' to keep us up.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Before this season we played some of the most entertaining and attractive football I have ever seen. It was an absolute joy to watch.
This season has been totally different. Only on very rare occasions have we played the kind of football we all fell in love with.
The team seem broken right now. We've led several games this season and then gone on to lose them. In other games we have been thrashed and humiliated. Since losing to fellow strugglers Everton and Newcastle we have reached rock bottom and are conceding goals so so cheaply. I don't know what the answer is and unfortunately neither did Bielsa.
I think we were definitely going to be relegated if Bielsa had stayed. We may still go down but I think a change in approach is what was needed. To carry on doing what was not working would have been suicidal.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:22 pm No from me, due to the timing but, admittedly, mainly due to sentimentality.

What I won’t do though, if we are relegated anyway, is say “I told you so”!

Speculation as to whether we would have stayed up or been relegated with Bielsa in charge is now irrelevant and futile and not an opportunity for a future point scoring exercise.
Well said 👍
Unfortunately there are others who will use it to say "I told you so" if we still get relegated
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

SG90 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:40 pm It reminds me of when Gary Mac was sacked. It was upsetting, he was a club legend, many didn't want it to happen, but unfortunately the results weren't good enough and he had to go.
Or Eddie Gray or Billy Bremner.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I voted no due to the timing, and the snide way it was leaked to the press. Managerial changes this late in a season rarely work, though Marsch playing a similar style may help. It's a big risk by Radz (he read that statement off autocue yesterday, sounded like scripted bullshit, so I won't be putting any stock by his 'something was broken' line). As a supporter, I hope it was the right call. I accepted that we needed a change, and would have expected that to happen in the summer, allowing Marcelo to leave with the dignity he so richly deserved. Yes, we've been s**t all season and he seemed unwilling to change but, for me, football has gotten a little bit uglier, a little bit less romantic now that he's gone. And before anyone piles on, I know those things don't garner points and that's what this business is, but MB allowed us (some of us anyway) to look beyond the purely linear win/lose and I liked that.

Having said all that, I'll back the new man and hope that his fine words yesterday can be translated into immediate actions on the pitch. It's not his fault he's replacing a true one-off.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:20 pm Well if it's all over tw@tter it must be true :roll:
64 posted something the other day, he isn't the kind to make things up or stir unnecessarily.

I can see why players would be upset, it can't be nice for them to be humiliated every week and criticised by pundits.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I do think if Burnley didn't win those 2 games, he'd probably still be in a job. But that's the problem with relying on other teams, rather than getting the results yourselves.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jeez some of the posts here re this seasons performance are staggering for the reason folk can't see why.

Let's see how the big Jesse gets on with this mish mash of players the monkey with a pin has given him, and without the 3 main key players that actually 'got' Bertball.

Some take to it like a duck to water (KP,PB,LC) add to that some that take a little longer Dallas, Ayling, Harrison etc (go figure) and some will just never fcking get it Rodrigo, FIRPO! Llorente etc (go figure),

I can't wait.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BobHirst wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:12 am Before this season we played some of the most entertaining and attractive football I have ever seen. It was an absolute joy to watch.
This season has been totally different. Only on very rare occasions have we played the kind of football we all fell in love with.
The team seem broken right now. We've led several games this season and then gone on to lose them. In other games we have been thrashed and humiliated. Since losing to fellow strugglers Everton and Newcastle we have reached rock bottom and are conceding goals so so cheaply. I don't know what the answer is and unfortunately neither did Bielsa.
I think we were definitely going to be relegated if Bielsa had stayed. We may still go down but I think a change in approach is what was needed. To carry on doing what was not working would have been suicidal.
I agree Bob.

Many of our fans think everything was fine, unsure what they have been watching to be honest :duno:

We may still go down as Marsch has an extremely difficult job on his hands, but at least now we have a glimmer of hope that a new coach may provide something different to gain us vital points for survival as opposed to the same old, same old with a system/tactics that clearly wasn't working.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:42 am Well said 👍
Unfortunately there are others who will use it to say "I told you so" if we still get relegated
No one truly knows if we would stay up with or without Bielsa.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:42 am Or Eddie Gray or Billy Bremner.
Clarke, Gray & Bremner all three legendary players, all failed in their LUFC managerial roles & consequently faced the axe, sadly it's the unpleasant side of football
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:35 am 64 posted something the other day, he isn't the kind to make things up or stir unnecessarily.

I can see why players would be upset, it can't be nice for them to be humiliated every week and criticised by pundits.
The information I received last week was from a reliable source & is generally correct.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:36 am I do think if Burnley didn't win those 2 games, he'd probably still be in a job. But that's the problem with relying on other teams, rather than getting the results yourselves.
Dyche has made a habit of getting Burnley out of trouble, I was hoping this would be the season he fails, I'm less certain now than I was after we had beaten them 3-1.

Their 1-0 compared to our 0-4 scoreline vs Spurs has rung alarm bells for me :(
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Get the defence set up tighter and I'm sure JM can get us clear.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:46 am Dyche has made a habit of getting Burnley out of trouble, I was hoping this would be the season he fails, I'm less certain now than I was after we had beaten them 3-1.

Their 1-0 compared to our 0-4 scoreline vs Spurs has rung alarm bells for me :(
I think Burnley got a bit lucky in the timing of their match with Spurs. Spurs having beaten City were on a high but it had probably taken it out of them physically (how many times do we see teams get d*cked the match after they have beaten us?). So they had the 'after the lord mayor's' type performance thinking they just had to turn up to win combined with being tired. They then likely got completely b*llocked by Conte after the match whih produced the reaction when they played us.

Not taking anything away from Burnley, they still had to win the match but I wasn't surprised that they won.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:41 am The information I received last week was from a reliable source & is generally correct.
I have no reason to doubt you! :tup:

I've said all season something wasn't right behind the scenes and I'd felt Raph and MB had fallen out. His HT subbing at Everton and dropping to the bench for the scum game confirmed it for me.
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

faaip wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:09 pm No we weren't ... he'd have kept us up with room to spare...
Please tell me how many points have we obtained in the last 6 games
Please tell me how many goals have we scored in the last 6 games
Please tell me how many goals we have conceded in the last 6 games
Look at the form of Newcastle, Burnley
Look how even Watford manage to pick up a point here and there
Too many of our players are out of form
Too many of our players still play in positions that they are 2nd best
Our goalkeeper is just not currently good enough at this level

Norwich are down but looking at the rest in the mix we have the worst form
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:29 am I agree Bob.

Many of our fans think everything was fine, unsure what they have been watching to be honest :duno:

We may still go down as Marsch has an extremely difficult job on his hands, but at least now we have a glimmer of hope that a new coach may provide something different to gain us vital points for survival as opposed to the same old, same old with a system/tactics that clearly wasn't working.
Agree 100%
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:55 am I have no reason to doubt you! :tup:

I've said all season something wasn't right behind the scenes and I'd felt Raph and MB had fallen out. His HT subbing at Everton and dropping to the bench for the scum game confirmed it for me.
Cheers SG :tup:

I'm careful what I post up on here, I hear so many stories that don't always ring true!