How much trouble are we in?/interesting Square Ball podcast

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: How much trouble are we in?

Post by mentalcase »

Mountain wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:52 am What player would have fitted into Bielsa:s system, how much would they cost and how would they have ensured results would be better?
No-one quite knows as Bielsa refuses to engage with other signings unless they're wingers FACT
The system we play, the system Bielsa swears by is getting it to the wingers and hope for t' best FACT
No midfield needed thanks, off ya pop, nothing to see nor admire here FACT
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:50 am Bielsa

"I don't think the absence of certain players was the cause of the result"

You are kidding Marcelo :roll: ridiculous comment.
Could that be him just sticking up for his players who did play :duno: protecting them
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:00 am No-one quite knows as Bielsa refuses to engage with other signings unless they're wingers FACT
The system we play, the system Bielsa swears by is getting it to the wingers and hope for t' best FACT
No midfield needed thanks, off ya pop, nothing to see nor admire here FACT
The system that has given us 3 incredible seasons with one of the greatest managers on the game?

You reduce his football knowledge to "hope for the best, FACT"?

It's not fact, it's your opinion. And your entitled to it. And others are entitled to roll their eyes at it.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

I still think Bielsa is the man for the job, I still think with a full squad we can get out of this but 1 win in 8 games is relegation form. It's a similar ppg as Fulham achieved accross the season last time out. With so many players out of form and so few options to change things up I think we have a right to be concerned. And I know we don't have a god given right to turn up at Southampton and win but we did the double over them last season, they were on a horrific run of form and if we do want to climb up the table we need to be beating the teams in and ariound us.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

7 points down on the same fixtures last season, on that form we'd end up 33 down over the season and relegated.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:41 am I still think Bielsa is the man for the job, I still think with a full squad we can get out of this but 1 win in 8 games is relegation form. It's a similar ppg as Fulham achieved accross the season last time out. With so many players out of form and so few options to change things up I think we have a right to be concerned. And I know we don't have a god given right to turn up at Southampton and win but we did the double over them last season, they were on a horrific run of form and if we do want to climp up the table we need to be beating the teams in and ariound us.
However we rarely have a full squad and some players are just walking sicknotes. This is something that's been waiting to happen as the cracks were there last season, glossed over with a few one off performances. Summer was an opportunity to strengthen keys areas and we are reaping the results of this. Even our pre-season form was yet another red flag, as we looked tired and disjointed. MB's persistence with having a small squad in the long run will not hold in this league and may well be his undoing. A few usual injuries and our bench yesterday reflected a glaring lack of depth, quality and really not sufficient for the PL. In time perhaps some of them will come good, but time is something that we can ill afford at the moment.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I'm worried but on the plus side other teams look equally as poor or poorer than us at the moment.
It looks like being a difficult season but as long as we survive, that's all that matters.
I actually think that the club will now try and recruit in January. How successful they'll be, who knows?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Chilli D wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:19 am I'm worried but on the plus side other teams look equally as poor or poorer than us at the moment.

You'd have said that about Southampton before yesterdays game, but they totally dominated us
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

We'll have a better idea in 14 days after completing the Wolves H, Arsenal A and Norwich away fixtures. A draw against Wolves and a first away win at Norwich isn't unrealistic with the return of Raph, Kalvin and Bamford.

Introduce a few January key signings, introduce our youth and sound the air raid sirens in preparation for Premier League survival. There's plenty of time remaining to turn things around and climb up the table to safety.

Stay positive, we can do this.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:11 am Could that be him just sticking up for his players who did play :duno: protecting them
Probably Swannie,

Bielsa is an honourable man, accepting the blame himself.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Even though I think we are in trouble atm we need some perspective. We had 5-6 nailed on starters missing yesterday 3 of which are crucial to how we play even though we haven't clicked into gear just yet. Our defence has been disrupted prior to and during virtually every game, the midfield needs strengthening and upfront James is showing signs of being a real threat , Paddy needs a goal to kick start his season and Rapha does what he does remarkably well. Take 5 regulars out of most teams and they will struggle let alone a thin squad like ours but we have to ride out this storm no matter what and I'm sure we will turn it around . I think the players yesterday knew they were on a hiding to nothing with all the regulars out which doesn't excuse their lack of endeavour or fight but mentally they probably knew a draw was as good as they'll get if lucky. Confidence is taking a battering right now but get our main players back and couple of wins and I'm sure we'll see us climb up the table, not going to be easy but there's a very long way to go.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:41 am I still think Bielsa is the man for the job, I still think with a full squad we can get out of this but 1 win in 8 games is relegation form. It's a similar ppg as Fulham achieved accross the season last time out. With so many players out of form and so few options to change things up I think we have a right to be concerned. And I know we don't have a god given right to turn up at Southampton and win but we did the double over them last season, they were on a horrific run of form and if we do want to climb up the table we need to be beating the teams in and ariound us.
I don't believe we have a divine right to beat Southampton either, but we can't afford to drop points against the sides around us if we're to survive. It's easy to say we'd have won with KP, Raph and Bamford, but we had them against Burnley and Newcastle and couldn't beat either. The only positive I have is I believe there will be plenty of teams in the mix, the likes of Brighton and Brentford had good starts but won't keep it up and I wouldn't even rule out Villa getting dragged in. But we need to start winning games or we will start to fall adrift.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Relegation would be a disaster as the wage bill would be horrific. I believe every player received a 50% increase on promotion and I doubt Radz was savy enough to include relegation decreases either. So we'll be stuck with the likes of Cooper, Ayling, Dallas, Klich, Roberts on £40k a week and who on earth's gonna want them? Also the likes of Bate, Gelhardt, Cresswell will have plenty of PL suitors.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:01 am Image

7 points down on the same fixtures last season, on that form we'd end up 33 down over the season and relegated.
Yeah, the table doesn't lie YS, we're in a lot of bother.

Getting one win from Burnley, Newcastle, Watford and Southampton is relegation form.

Hopefully our better players are back soon to try and improve things urgently.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

SG90 wrote:Relegation would be a disaster as the wage bill would be horrific. I believe every player received a 50% increase on promotion and I doubt Radz was savy enough to include relegation decreases either. So we'll be stuck with the likes of Cooper, Ayling, Dallas, Klich, Roberts on £40k a week and who on earth's gonna want them? Also the likes of Bate, Gelhardt, Cresswell will have plenty of PL suitors.
Selling Rapha will pay for those.

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

BGwhite wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:25 pm Selling Rapha will pay for those.

But if we go down we'll be lucky to get £20m at best!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Maybe the idea behind heavy recruitment for the 23's is that they are the safety net in case of relegation.

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Mountain wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:35 am The system that has given us 3 incredible seasons with one of the greatest managers on the game?

You reduce his football knowledge to "hope for the best, FACT"?

It's not fact, it's your opinion. And your entitled to it. And others are entitled to roll their eyes at it.
Yes it is only my opinion, but it is also FACT, no matter what spin you put on it, you simply cannot deny we are struggling and Bielsa will not change for anyone FACT.
Yes , we have had 3 incredible season with one of the so called greatest managers in the game, so great , he won erm nowt before coming to Leeds FACT.
All I'm saying is, we're struggling and haven't the manager capable of changing things because he's so stubborn, also we have owners that can't bring in new personnel because one of the "greatest managers in the game" throws a wobbly when you want to get rid of useless players like roberts & cooper and replace them with class, a 3 man decision is pathetic.
I'm reducing his football knowledge on his recent run of results, again FACT, I'm not making it up, the facts are staring us all in the face, FACT.
I keep saying it, rest on your laurels and you will suffer, yea yea, we've missed our players through injury and suspension, so have other clubs, thing is, other clubs have bigger squads, when their players are tired/injured/suspended, they bring in fresh faces with experience, we rely on over tired, over used players, we rely on roberts ffs, the youth are only featuring because of the injuries, then it will be back to the same old players that got us promotion, where is the forward thinking in that, eventually we will need to replace those players, will Bielsa be the man to do that or is he too loyal ?
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:13 pm I don't believe we have a divine right to beat Southampton either, but we can't afford to drop points against the sides around us if we're to survive. It's easy to say we'd have won with KP, Raph and Bamford, but we had them against Burnley and Newcastle and couldn't beat either. The only positive I have is I believe there will be plenty of teams in the mix, the likes of Brighton and Brentford had good starts but won't keep it up and I wouldn't even rule out Villa getting dragged in. But we need to start winning games or we will start to fall adrift.
I bet both Brighton & Brentford end up in the top 14 of the table.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:18 pm Relegation would be a disaster as the wage bill would be horrific. I believe every player received a 50% increase on promotion and I doubt Radz was savy enough to include relegation decreases either. So we'll be stuck with the likes of Cooper, Ayling, Dallas, Klich, Roberts on £40k a week and who on earth's gonna want them? Also the likes of Bate, Gelhardt, Cresswell will have plenty of PL suitors.
Doesn't bear thinking about :(