Rodrigo Moreno- Joins Al-Rayyan confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Rodrigo Moreno

Post by Allrounder »

SG90 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:56 pm Think he's a scapegoat atm. Some of the fan favourites have been atrocious, yet get free passes. Unfortunately he's a striker being played out of position. Saying that, his miss earlier was dreadful and he caused dangerous situations with sloppy passing.
What do you expect when you keep playing a no.9 as CM? You kill off his confidience, hence that painful miss early on.
I think Bamford get’s way too much credit here and he has had a dreadful start to the season. Going forward MB should rotate between Rodrigo and Bamford at the top.

It’s unfair if you give Bamford 38 starts, of course any decent striker will score in every other match. If you had given Rodrigo so many starts at top he would have collected 20+ goals.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

All strikers miss chances, it goes with the territory. Unfortunately for Rod he is being played in a role that doesn't suit him and as a result not only he gets less chances but the team as a whole gets less chances.

It wasn't a coincidence that Harrison, Firpo and Cooper were getting exposed so much in the first half as Rod just isn't able to play the sort of game we need from an advanced midfield position.

Perhaps he is a being used as a lightening rod for our frustrations but he is needed at the club imo.

Overall Liverpool were better than us, had more better players but importantly for them had a better game plan.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Doesn't fit our system and never will unless we play him at CF which will never happen unless Paddy gets injured. Need to get rid as he is a liability at the minute and nothing more than a passenger unfortunately. Not his fault but sometimes you just gotta admit that things aint working out and just let go- just the same as when relationships break down. Why prolong the agony?
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

I think it is sad that our 30 million pounds striker can't get a game as a striker.
We must be the only club in the league that basically uses the same striker for almost 100% of every game.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

BobHirst wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 am I think it is sad that our 30 million pounds striker can't get a game as a striker.
We must be the only club in the league that basically uses the same striker for almost 100% of every game.
👍
There Is Only One United.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Allrounder wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:23 pm What do you expect when you keep playing a no.9 as CM? You kill off his confidience, hence that painful miss early on.
I think Bamford get’s way too much credit here and he has had a dreadful start to the season. Going forward MB should rotate between Rodrigo and Bamford at the top.

It’s unfair if you give Bamford 38 starts, of course any decent striker will score in every other match. If you had given Rodrigo so many starts at top he would have collected 20+ goals.
He's starting for us - why would his confidence be low?! Not as if he was coming off the bench today!

To say any decent striker will score every other match in the Premier league is just baffling and totally not correct. Paddy had an incredible season last year and is essential in the way we play. Rodrigo has shown nothing to suggest he would do any better and yesterday's horror show both in his general performance and that miss suggested otherwise. He should be thinking, I'm not starting where I want to so I'm going to make sure to take whatever sniff of a chance I get...would be the right mentality.

Saying that, I feel for Rodrigo because he just clearly isn't a centre mid, but saying that I also don't think he's a lone striker and so I think he will never really fit in and will go down as another one of orta's bad buys
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Probably need to get rid, he won't displace bamford, he aint a midfielder, if he's happy to be subbed every week for roberts then so be it, I wouldn't , but there is no other option, even when bamford is out, Bielsa puts roberts up front instead of a Spanish international !!
Bamford had imo, a fantastic game yesterday , although his chances were limited he really ought to have scored, same as rodders, but bamfords allround display was fantastic, the team let him down by not supplying him enough, he was constantly in between the 2 centre-halfs only to be let down by passes.
Flog Rodrigo and get that winger we so deperately need.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

BobHirst wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 am I think it is sad that our 30 million pounds striker can't get a game as a striker.
Spurs?
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

mentalcase wrote:Probably need to get rid, he won't displace bamford, he aint a midfielder, if he's happy to be subbed every week for roberts then so be it, I wouldn't , but there is no other option, even when bamford is out, Bielsa puts roberts up front instead of a Spanish international !!
Bamford had imo, a fantastic game yesterday , although his chances were limited he really ought to have scored, same as rodders, but bamfords allround display was fantastic, the team let him down by not supplying him enough, he was constantly in between the 2 centre-halfs only to be let down by passes.
Flog Rodrigo and get that winger we so deperately need.
There were a couple of times when the ball to him (Paddy) was perfect but he opted to try controlling it with his preferred left foot instead of the right . Because of the direction of the pass he should have controlled it with his right and then took the shot on with his left. One of the opportunities would have put him straight through on goal but his left footed control let him down. Top strikers will have killed the ball first time with either foot and got a shot off. On another occasion he was slow to move for a through ball so another chance went begging. The passing to him isn't all bad and he needs to wake up a bit.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:06 pm There were a couple of times when the ball to him (Paddy) was perfect but he opted to try controlling it with his preferred left foot instead of the right . Because of the direction of the pass he should have controlled it with his right and then took the shot on with his left. One of the opportunities would have put him straight through on goal but his left footed control let him down. Top strikers will have killed the ball first time with either foot and got a shot off. On another occasion he was slow to move for a through ball so another chance went begging. The passing to him isn't all bad and he needs to wake up a bit.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
Have to agree with thee, he did the same for England last week, as you say, top strikers use both feet, I did think he had a good game yesterday considering and can't knock his tally last season, he wont get dropped that's a fact and I can't see us getting anyone else.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Rodders clearly isn't a No.10, in many ways Roberts links things up better.

But as a striker when that chance on 5 minutes falls to him, he needs to be doing better!
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

It's absurd and it's costing us. I feel it a bit for Rodrigo can't help but feel he's been badly managed by MB (similar to Nketiah). The square peg approach is not one that some players can adapt their natural game to. Perhaps try playing to the lad's strength for starters.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Now's the time to give Rodrigo a chance at CF as Bamford looks half the player he was last year. At this rate he won't make double figures.
I hate to say it but I think last season may have been a fluke- he doesn't seem to respond well to a big crowd.
Rodrigo needs to be given a chance as its clear that the whole team looks unbalanced whenever he plays in Midfield and we don't have the luxury of carrying passengers.
Don't understand why MB insists on playing players out of position- when I want apples I buy apples, I don't buy oranges and try to turn them into apples,
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

SG90 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:19 pmSpurs?
I know some people on here don't rate Kane but I regard him as one of the top players in the Premier League.
You can't argue with the goals and assists that he provides for his team (teams if you include England). He has been doing it for a few years now. Plus I believe that he works a lot harder than a lot of people give him credit for.
Any way what I'm trying to say is that if I had Kane in my team he would and should play most of the time too. Bamford has done really well for us but he is not in the same class as Kane is. Play him for an hour and if things are not working out then give Rodrigo 30 minutes up front.
If this happened maybe Rodrigo would score a few goals and he would be the one playing for the first 60 minutes with Bamford coming off the bench.
At least try it Marcelo.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rodrigo's best this season for Leeds last night imo!
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:39 pm Rodrigo's best this season for Leeds last night imo!
Yes, it also helped with Klich there to do some of his grafting, allowing him to create more.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:23 pm Yes, it also helped with Klich there to do some of his grafting, allowing him to create more.
Totally agree Finn :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

MOTM for me, outstanding first half... I even liked the missed side foot, it was an intelligent attempt
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Simple question.

Why?

Why was a player who from his own admission favours playing in a role we don't use signed?

You can't criticise us as fans for getting excited by us signing a Spanish international.

But the club has people employed to find the best players, the best tactical fit.

How did Rodrigo become that man when all logic and analysis showed he wasn't the type of player we needed?

He has talent so will have decent times but for a record signing he has been a flop.

He doesn't fit the style, he doesn't fit the tactics, he doesn't have a natural role.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I totally agree Cjay, why did our scouts/Orta think Rodrigo was worth investing £30m in.

I had no particular knowledge of this player before we bought him but thought that at that kind of money and having played for Spain he should be a good buy, although at 30 years old my enthusiasm was slightly tempered.

After seeing him play 4 or 5 times I had my suspicions that he wasn’t going to be good enough, he looked slow as if running in mud, was seldom in the right position, often lost the ball from a pass because his control was poor and then seemed reluctant to track back to try and recover it. I thought it may be because he was new to the club and that in time he would improve and prove his worth.

After a season and a bit I am now convinced that he is proving to be a disastrous waste of money. I can’t believe that people who are paid very handsomely for their football knowledge can get it so wrong.

Orta may have struck lucky with Raphinha but I can’t help thinking that Rodrigo is a huge mistake.