Leeds Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Klich fit, Costa in for Harrison

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Klich fit, Costa in for Harrison

Post by SG90 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:56 pm Don’t hold your breath, look how long he’s been trying to turn Roberts into a goalscorer.
:lol:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:42 pm Strange how we all see the game & players differently. I thought Roberts did well and apart from not scoring with a very good chance he produced some good moments and he does possess a good turn of speed. It's a bit harsh on him to make out he's useless.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
I thought he had an okay first half (should have scored) but was poor in the second.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:57 pm Anyway, as off it as we were today Villa got their tactics against us spot on.

It's not always about how 's**t' our players are, sometimes we have to give the opposition credit. Even if we don't like their style of football!
Don't see what they did that was so great tbh. Got a lucky break with the goal then stuck ten men behind the ball.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SaraM wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:59 pm With Bamford, you could see what he was trying to do, and there's so much more to his all round game. I'm not generally in favour of writing people off, we may not otherwise have had Klick, Phillips, Dallas, Ayling or Bamford playing at the level they now do, but I can't see where the improvement is coming from with Roberts; he simply hasn't stepped up alongside the others.
Him and Costa are two that need jettisoned. Other players have improved dramatically under MB, but not those two.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:57 pm Anyway, as off it as we were today Villa got their tactics against us spot on.

It's not always about how 's**t' our players are, sometimes we have to give the opposition credit. Even if we don't like their style of football!
Villa were better organised than they used to be tbf to them.

Offensively they were as bland as expected and the goal was slightly fortunate because of our dumb pitch making Watkins slip.

Overall id give us a 4 and them a 6 out of 10.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 pm Ugly Championship throwback game. Nothing fell for us tonight.
Spot on mothbanquet, about it reminding me of our occasional very poor performance there, but it was more we looked clueless that nothing falling for us.

With us more or less safe, I am assuming that Bielsa is testing the squad now as he plans for next season. He will have learnt a lot today. Costa and Roberts, unfortunately, are not Premier League standard. Poor passing and decision making, switching off at key times, and in relation to Roberts in particular, his shooting is abysmal. They slowed up our attack constantly.

Klich is another that has to wake up.

Looking forward to Rodrigo coming back, Pablo needs more game time and we need to start testing a few U23’s. Orta’s target list is becoming more refined with every game.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

White Riot wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:01 pm Him and Costa are two that need jettisoned. Other players have improved dramatically under MB, but not those two.
Costa was at a higher level to start with, and he can still occasionally turn it on. Roberts was ineffective at the level below, and has never looked like a premier league player.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:59 pm With Bamford, you could see what he was trying to do, and there's so much more to his all round game. I'm not generally in favour of writing people off, we may not otherwise have had Klich, Phillips, Dallas, Ayling or Bamford playing at the level they now do, but I can't see where the improvement is coming from with Roberts; he simply hasn't stepped up alongside the others.
That in bold says it all imo.

Everyone almost has improved to some notable degree under Bielsa.

They arent all world beaters, they may not even be Premier league starting 11 quality now but to a man you can see improvement in almost all of the players who have been here since Bielsa arrived.

Dallas, Cooper, Klich, Ayling, KP, Harrison, all improved.

Roberts hasnt to any noticeable degree.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Cjay wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:03 pm Villa were better organised than they used to be tbf to them.

Offensively they were as bland as expected and the goal was slightly fortunate because of our dumb pitch making Watkins slip.

Overall id give us a 4 and them a 6 out of 10.

They shithoused us, and we didn't really have the quality to open them up. Phillips and Rodrigo arguably make a difference but we know we don't have the quality in depth beyond the first choice eleven. Hernandez aside.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

White Riot wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:57 pm Yeah, I fully expected to see Llorente at DCM tonight, or a back three of Llorente, Struijk and Cooper. But what do I know?
In this respect more than MB I suspect...

MB will only play 3 CBs against two forwards - otherwise it's 4-1-4-1.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:49 pm Wasn't even good enough in the Championship. :roll:
In his three seasons at Leeds:

Three excellent performances v Preston, WBA & a shocking Hull side in the championship.

Not one outstanding display in the premier league

Not great reading
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The most disappointing thing for me was three points tonight and we would have been celebrating safety. We're probably already safe and we will get the three extra points at some point but it would have been nice to have done it tonight. Points are going to be very hard to come by over the next few weeks.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:59 pm With Bamford, you could see what he was trying to do, and there's so much more to his all round game. I'm not generally in favour of writing people off, we may not otherwise have had Klich, Phillips, Dallas, Ayling or Bamford playing at the level they now do, but I can't see where the improvement is coming from with Roberts; he simply hasn't stepped up alongside the others.
I think Roberts has the better all round game as a striker, I prefer his movement as Paddy tucks himself in behind the defender too much rather than get across him. Roberts is a much better header of the ball, better first touch, stronger, his hold up play is superior too. Where Paddy wins at the moment is he's scoring worldies but that will stop and is he then good enough a footballer to get himself out of a rut..

Paddy very poor last two games and try to figure out how many goals he scores when the ball comes in from the wings. In fact Bamford has profited from Roberts play recently and Roberts really should have 4/5 assists in the last 4 games
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:10 pm In his three seasons at Leeds:

Three excellent performances v Preston, WBA & a shocking Hull side in the championship.

Not one outstanding display in the premier league

Not great reading

But he's been injured for so much of that time, he's only really now in his first real run with no injuries. I'm not saying he's the answer, I don't think he is in the long run, but we don't have too many other options this season.

Roberts has as many assists as Phillips, Hernandez and Dallas by the way and more than Rodrigo.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:53 pm Llorente was ok today, I was disgusted with that bit of play acting and he almost got caught in possession several times plus Villa posed almost zero threat after the goal. Nowhere near MOTM for me. Cooper however was a lot better on the ball and bringing it out of defence
Really can’t imagine how you class Llorente’s performance as OK today. He was easily our best player over 90 minutes. He’s playing his second game for Leeds and he didn’t put a foot wrong, high passing accuracy (which was rare throughout the team today), had that cheating tramp Watkins in his pocket and started most of our attacks.

I didn’t like the dramatic rolling around either but that is cultural for him and Bielsa will cut that out of his game by the next game I’m sure.

Otherwise, he’s a different class and will be key to our growth next year.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Allrounder wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:31 pm This whole Villa team has learned cheating from their chief cheater.
Sickening that Smith can succeed by adopting such traits.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:12 pm I think Roberts has the better all round game as a striker, I prefer his movement as Paddy tucks himself in behind the defender too much rather than get across him. Roberts is a much better header of the ball, better first touch, stronger, his hold up play is superior too. Where Paddy wins at the moment is he's scoring worldies but that will stop and is he then good enough a footballer to get himself out of a rut..

Paddy very poor last two games and try to figure out how many goals he scores when the ball comes in from the wings. In fact Bamford has profited from Roberts play recently and Roberts really should have 4/5 assists in the last 4 games
There is talk that Paddy is wanted by Chelsea.

Does that mean we can go for Haaland instead ? I still rue the club failing to sign him in 2018. Whoever Haaland signs for he will be a 30 goal a season striker in the PL. Maybe Dortmund will take pity and let us sign him for the 2018 fee of 8m rather than 100 to 120m ....
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:33 pm Next game West Ham away so guaranteed loss. Give the kids a chance since we'll lose anyway.
You would think the hammers will be too strong for us, they are made of sturdy stuff these days.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:33 pm Very frustrating, never looked like scoring. Not just his fault, but really don't want to see Roberts again tbh.
I'm afraid you will see him again as Marcelo rates him :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 pm Not sure we can talk after that ..whatever it was from Llorente, I hope MB has a word.
Was embarrassing!