Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Patrick Bamford

Post by HarryofOz »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:35 pm I think he's a fairly inconsistent finisher, however I can see how he fits in well with the system. He's not a poacher fox in the box striker - more like a false no 9. He drops quite deep sometimes, and often drifts to the right, where he creates space in the middle for the FBs or the 10 as he drags the CBs wide. You saw that today, with Dallas underlapping him as Bamford went wide to the right. He is a particularly good passer of the ball for a striker, so he helps the system through exchanging passes and one twos with the wingers, midfielders and FBs, thereby linking play. He also helps the system by leading the press and through defending.
That is a very accurate description of what Paddy brings to the team. He isn't a great goalscorer (at this stage of his career), but he scores enough goals for because of his workrate, his willingness to get himself into goalscoring positions and the way we play the game.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Leads the line well for a lone striker, considering he's not blessed with either pace or physique. Can't fault his general all round contribution and he's actually executed some outstanding finishes too (this game and 2x at Villa spring to mind). Also seems a likable person off field too. I've really come around to rating him this season after being sceptical before. He's certainly more suited to the premier league where he's not facing 10 defenders every game.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Patrick Bamford: Odds slashed on Leeds United striker being Premier League top goalscorer after stunning goal

The 27-year-old’s strike and performance against Leicester saw his odds slashed from 20-1 to 12-1 to finish as the league’s top gun this season.
Here are the latest odds with Paddy Power:
Salah 7/4;
Vardy 9/2;
Kane 7-1;
Son 15/2;
Calvert-Lewin 11-1;
Fernandes 12-1;
Bamford 12-1; (From 20/1)
Watkins 25-1.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Really pleased that he has managed to overcome his recent temporary lull. Top class character, top class striker :star:
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

HarryofOz wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:49 pm That is a very accurate description of what Paddy brings to the team. He isn't a great goalscorer (at this stage of his career), but he scores enough goals for because of his workrate, his willingness to get himself into goalscoring positions and the way we play the game.
Yeah, I've grown to appreciate more what he brings to the side through studying a bit more closely exactly what he does. It's quite a good exercise from time to time to focus solely on what one player is doing for 30 mins or so during a match.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:26 am Yeah, I've grown to appreciate more what he brings to the side through studying a bit more closely exactly what he does. It's quite a good exercise from time to time to focus solely on what one player is doing for 30 mins or so during a match.
Absolutely. It also helps you break down who isn't doing what correctly when things go wrong. I remember folk blaming the defence when we conceded 3 in that Fulham game earlier in the season but 2 if not all 3 of their goals stemmed from Harrison not tracking back quickly enough or not closing down quick enough - and he was singled out as having a poor game in general. If all the parts in this machine aren't working then the whole thing falls apart. You see that more clearly when you focus on one particular player.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Bielsa describes Paddy’s goal:

“It was a beautiful goal, it was in a part of the goal that is difficult to find considering the violence of the shot”.
There Is Only One United.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:06 am Leads the line well for a lone striker, considering he's not blessed with either pace or physique. Can't fault his general all round contribution and he's actually executed some outstanding finishes too (this game and 2x at Villa spring to mind). Also seems a likable person off field too. I've really come around to rating him this season after being sceptical before. He's certainly more suited to the premier league where he's not facing 10 defenders every game.
Physically he seems a bit Allan Clarkish , though nowhere as lethal in front of goal . Has done really well in top flight , like many I didn't rate him too highly until you look at his contribution in bringing others into play . Yes , you could get a striker who will score more , but overall it might affect the style of play adversely as it may be a player who was there for goals only only won't contribute to other aspects , which could well upset the balance of the side in the way it plays under Bielsa . Catch 22 really , stick with what we've got I reckon .
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

You could get a striker who would score more.

You could also spend up £60 or £70 million and £300k per week and get a striker who doesn't score or contribute as much, an Aubameyang type. And Leeds should know this more than most, after all Jean Kevin Augustin was the last player who was going to replace Bamford, and that could be the bones of £20 million written off.

Bamfordnis a fine player, cost buttons compared to most strikers at that level, and fits the system perfectly. If he never scores again, he's been a bargain. For me, he's the second or third name down on the team sheet.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mountain wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:37 pm You could get a striker who would score more.

You could also spend up £60 or £70 million and £300k per week and get a striker who doesn't score or contribute as much, an Aubameyang type. And Leeds should know this more than most, after all Jean Kevin Augustin was the last player who was going to replace Bamford, and that could be the bones of £20 million written off.

Bamfordnis a fine player, cost buttons compared to most strikers at that level, and fits the system perfectly. If he never scores again, he's been a bargain. For me, he's the second or third name down on the team sheet.
I agree :tup:

Welcome to MOT Mountain
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clacton White wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 am Physically he seems a bit Allan Clarkish , though nowhere as lethal in front of goal . Has done really well in top flight , like many I didn't rate him too highly until you look at his contribution in bringing others into play . Yes , you could get a striker who will score more , but overall it might affect the style of play adversely as it may be a player who was there for goals only only won't contribute to other aspects , which could well upset the balance of the side in the way it plays under Bielsa . Catch 22 really , stick with what we've got I reckon .
This is the problem we had with Nketiah, the same with Rodrigo if he is given the opportunity to play the No.9 role as there is no way Rod would defend from the front or even at our defensive set-pieces as well as Paddy does!
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Mountain wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:37 pm You could get a striker who would score more.

Well considered and unemotional input :tup:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Top 6 Strikers in PL Fantasy league ...
PB.jpg
PB.jpg (24.66 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Paddy 2nd with 119 points ...not to shabby...
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:41 am
Love this ❤️
gessa

Post by gessa »

Alan Shearer's view. Paddy made all 3 teams of the week. Dallas made 2 of the 3 and Harrison 1.

Patrick Bamford (LEE) LEI 1-3 LEE
“This was a brilliant centre-forward’s performance which had everything. Eleven goals in the Premier League is a great return so far, and there are certainly more to come!”
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Shearer-totw.jpg
Shearer-totw.jpg (349.13 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
gessa

Post by gessa »

I see the rumour mill as started.

Apparently Chelsea want Paddy, where do these journalists dream them up.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:12 pm I see the rumour mill as started.

Apparently Chelsea want Paddy, where do these journalists dream them up.
Pricks ears up .....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Sell sell sell...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa