The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 25th November) Orta outlines transfer window plans for January

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 25th November) Orta outlines transfer window plans for January

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 25th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Orta outlines transfer window plans for January

Victor Orta has admitted Leeds United will need to be ‘really clever’ in the winter transfer market, outlining the difficulties that January poses for the club. The Leeds Utd Director of football oversaw a record breaking Summer for the Whites spending circa 100m just two months on four headline acts as well as making the transfers of Meslier and Costa permanent.

A club record £27m was splashed out on Spanish International forward Rodrigo. This was quickly followed up with the 13m signing of German International Robin Koch. Fellow centre back Diego Llorentre (18m) came next, and lastly exciting Brazilian winger Raphinha made the trip across the Channel for circa £20m.

Leeds have bagged 11 points from their last 9 games, but have not won in 6 games. Not only does Orta have to consider finding the right players who will enhance the side, but needs to take into consideration the financial struggles imposed on football by the covid 19 pandemic.

For me firstly, it’s [about] availability. You go to a player who is playing in a lower division, or you go for a player who is not playing in your division or at another level, it is a risk. “The availability of the players is limited by that. Obviously, the way to choose is limited, so you [can’t always] make a proper choice [in January].

The situation with economics is strange. I think people want to sell - but don’t sell because they need to buy. They don’t want to spend. It makes it a strange market again. “I am not a proper fan of the January market, I [have] always said that. The stats say the same about our business in the winter market [recently].

We need to be really clever. If one option appears, who we think clearly improves the squad, obviously [we need to] be ready to make [an offer]. Now, I trust a lot the squad we have, I trust a lot the ways of our staff in living for Marcelo. [The] winter market is a circumstance and one we need to evaluate carefully.

Is BLM losing its appeal?

England Rugby players Billy Vunipola, Ben Earl and Henry Slade all decided not to take part in the Black Lives Matter stance as England got their campaign off to a winning start against Georgia last weekend. This comes after Lincoln City became the latest club to confirm their players will no longer initiate ‘taking a knee’ before games earlier this month. We all heard Les Ferdinand's stance on the matter last month. The former England striker and current QPR Chief Executive was quoted as saying 'taking the knee is now good PR' and little more!

Has BLM's association with Antifa caused irreparable harm to their cause? Were the English football authorities right to jump aboard the BLM cause? Is there a change is overall opinion whether players should still be taking the knee before each game? Lincoln City's Captain Liam Bridcutt was quoted as saying: “Speaking to other players, it wasn’t that we were not going to take the knee for whatever reason, it was more of a case that we feel like we can do more.

Leeds sign up with Jay-Z's entertainment agency

Leeds United have signed a partnership with Roc Nation - an entertainment agency founded by rapper Jay-Z. They join the likes of Rihanna, Alicia Keys and DJ Khaled, as well as footballers Kevin De Bruyne and Marcus Rashford whoare just a few of the celebrities looked after by Jay-Z's business venture. Roc Nations aim is to “support the growth of the Leeds Uni ted brand in key markets of the USA and Asia.”

Talk Sport pundit Simon Jordan has approved of the deal that’s seen Leeds United become the first Premier League club to partner with Jay-Z’s agency. The former Crystal Palace owner said the challenge for Leeds was to rebuild a brand diminished by time in exile out of the Premier League.

I think if you look at the owner, Andrea Radrizzani, their challenge is the Premier League has moved on a lot in the last 17 years, and their livery has diminished despite being a leading club in the 70s. They have lost a lot of lustre, not because we don’t recognise them as a big club but because they’re not recognised as a big club in Malaysia, in China, and the like.

Part of the opportunity is to rebuild that. The only thing that will do that is, not some highfalutin rock star’s media agency, but their continued participation in the Premier League. Leeds have an opportunity to get back some of the ground they lost but it’s a hell of an ask to catch up with Man United and Liverpool. But why not?

You get an expert in the field. He may occupy a real connection with the next raft of viewers, the 20 somethings. He might have the zeitgeist on that. Do Leeds United have the ability to take fans away from the likes of Liverpool and Man United? That’s the $64,000 question. It’s a big ask but if you’re not going to push the envelope you’re not going to find out. It could add another string to their bow.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 25th November) Orta outlines transfer window plans for January

Post by Chilli D »

The January transfer window is generally a waste of time for the reasons outlined by VO.
And given the fact it takes time to settle in to Bielsaball, it will probably be March before the signing is ready to challenge for a place.

Taking the knee for BLM has run its course in my opinion. The police brutality of black people still needs to be highlighted of course but there needs to be another way now.
For taking the knee to continue there should be a new message along the lines of 'we are all one race, let's stand together' or something similar.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 25th November) Orta outlines transfer window plans for January

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

We need to concentrate on one or two signings, definitely a Pablo replacement we desperately need someone who can unlock a packed defence.

The BLM movement needs to continue, but I can see that it is starting to become a thing that sports people do so that then starts to loose its impact.

Wow that’s great news that Simon Jordan approves of the Roc Nation connection as I must admit I was worried about it before he gave his approval ;-)
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I doubt we'll make any significant signings in January, unless there's a long-term injury and we urgently need a replacement. If we can retain our Prem status then I expect we'll have another good summer in the transfer market.

Looks like BLT has outlasted the BLM knee ;-)

Hope Forshaw doesn't try to take the knee, if and when he ever gets back, cos that'll be another year out :)

We've got 99 problems, but a Bates ain't one :)
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

President Trump said.
"On Friday, Sep. 22, 2017, President Donald Trump stated his opposition to NFL players kneeling during the anthem: “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!”

You see standing with your hand on your heart is a sign of respect for the American national anthem, and kneeling is viewed as a sign of disrespect.

Whereas those who take the knee view it as a sign of silent protest... a subtle reminder that George Floyd died with a knee on his neck.

The act of kneeling is a form of non-verbal communication we kneel before alters, we kneel before kings and queens when we are knighted, we kneel when we ask someone to marry us, we kneel when we beg. Usually it is a symbol of humility and respect.

So in America at least this symbolic act has been turned on its head, so what was once a respectful gesture has now become disrespectful. It gets confusing when a symbolic act can be interpreted in two different ways.

We might ask ourselves what the American flag and the American national anthem has to do with British football, and at best taking the knee is cultural appropriation which is unthinking and unwitting, not withstanding it is a protest against racial discrimination in all its forms.

Can you imagine the outrage that would ensue if taking the knee was left to the individuals conscience and all the black footballers kneeled and all the white footballers stood. It would be a recipe for conflict and tension.

It may be that the reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself.

Taking the knee is a reminder that inequalities exist and will remain so as long as there is man's inhumanity to man.

We should not forget that taking the knee is a cultural phenomenon associated with the American flag and the American national anthem, but has now taking on a greater significance in the fight against racism.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Morning all, 5 days ago I had a bit of a set too with a hawthorn hedge at the bottom of the garden, the hedge won convincingly and now after 4 hospital visits and 1 emergency operation I’m now back in circulation. Consequently I missed the Arsenal match but by all accounts, backed up by the stats, it seems we were by far the better team and should have won convincingly. Not for the 1st time this season that will go down as points dropped rather than a point gained, by my reckoning we could easily be 4 or 5 points ahead of where we are at present but even so, we do not appear to be in any danger of being in a relegation struggle so far.

So, therefore, Imo we don’t need any panic buys in January, better to leave well alone until the summer when a more rational assessment of how to improve to the next level can be made.

From previous posts I think everyone will know my position on the “BLM/taking the knee” nonsense, should never really have started (why are we so influenced by events that happen in a country 3000 miles away?) and in any case should have been stopped months ago.

Jay-Zs entertainment company - yeah whatever!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:58 am Morning all, 5 days ago I had a bit of a set too with a hawthorn hedge at the bottom of the garden, the hedge won convincingly and now after 4 hospital visits and 1 emergency operation I’m now back in circulation.
Blimey Byebye, have you broken some limbs?
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:43 am
You see standing with your hand on your heart is a sign of respect for the American national anthem, and kneeling is viewed as a sign of disrespect.

Whereas those who take the knee view it as a sign of silent protest... a subtle reminder that George Floyd died with a knee on his neck.

Pretty sure the concept of “taking a knee” started years before George Floyd’s death and was intended as a show of disrespect to the American Anthem by NFL footballer Colin Karpernick.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL

The idea that it was intended to be respectful is ludicrous.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 am Blimey Byebye, have you broken some limbs?
“Blimey” is probably about right 64, no broken limbs just a “broken”right eye! Won’t furnish you with the gory details but should, all being well, have my right eye back in business in the new year. 👍🏻
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Aussieleeds wrote: Pretty sure the concept of “taking a knee” started years before George Floyd’s death and was intended as a show of disrespect to the American Anthem by NFL footballer Colin Karpernick.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL

You have misunderstood. What i tried to point out is that there is a mixed message. From a traditional viewpoint kneeling is always associated with humility and respect, but with BLM kneeling is a form of protest.

Symbolic acts should not have two different interpretation respect or disrespect.

When muslins bow in the mosque in prayer or when Christians genuflect at the alter and make the sign of the cross there is only one meaning to these symbolic acts not two.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:47 am “Blimey” is probably about right 64, no broken limbs just a “broken”right eye! Won’t furnish you with the gory details but should, all being well, have my right eye back in business in the new year. 👍🏻
Heck Byebye that sounds painfully unpleasant, hopefully the damage to your eye/sight is only short-term & you feel much better sooner than later
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Not keen on protests/political issues in sport

Yes Black Lives Matter....they have made their point, time to move on

And before anyone pipes up

Johanneson, Yeboah & Beckford are three of my favourite Leeds players, certainly in my top 20 8-)
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:43 am President Trump said.
"On Friday, Sep. 22, 2017, President Donald Trump stated his opposition to NFL players kneeling during the anthem: “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!”

The act of kneeling is a form of non-verbal communication we kneel before alters, we kneel before kings and queens when we are knighted, we kneel when we ask someone to marry us, we kneel when we beg. Usually it is a symbol of humility and respect.

So in America at least this symbolic act has been turned on its head, so what was once a respectful gesture has now become disrespectful. It gets confusing when a symbolic act can be interpreted in two different ways.

We might ask ourselves what the American flag and the American national anthem has to do with British football, and at best taking the knee is cultural appropriation which is unthinking and unwitting, not withstanding it is a protest against racial discrimination in all its forms.

Can you imagine the outrage that would ensue if taking the knee was left to the individuals conscience and all the black footballers kneeled and all the white footballers stood. It would be a recipe for conflict and tension.

It may be that the reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself.

Taking the knee is a reminder that inequalities exist and will remain so as long as there is man's inhumanity to man.

We should not forget that taking the knee is a cultural phenomenon associated with the American flag and the American national anthem, but has now taking on a greater significance in the fight against racism.

An excellent synopsis of events leading up to "taking the knee" the first time... Which as Rab rightly points out, happened prior to the event what it is generally accepted for now. I do think though, that now we have No room for Racism arm bands, posters and adverts...taking the knee is now passed it's sell buy date prior to all matches starting.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:01 pm Heck Byebye that sounds painfully unpleasant, hopefully the damage to your eye/sight is only short-term & you feel much better sooner than later
Thanks for your concern 64, I’m told all will be well when I have my second operation in the new year 👍🏻
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Smudge3920 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:27 pm An excellent synopsis of events leading up to "taking the knee" the first time... Which as Rab rightly points out, happened prior to the event what it is generally accepted for now. I do think though, that now we have No room for Racism arm bands, posters and adverts...taking the knee is now passed it's sell buy date prior to all matches starting.
I'd rather see the players from both teams form a circle and link arms to show solidarity between all races, religions etc. Much more symbolic in my opinion.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Aussieleeds wrote:
I am afraid Eric Reid would disagree with you.

"Kaepernick and his 49ers teammate Eric Reid said they choose to kneel during the anthem to call attention to the issues of racial inequality and police brutality. "After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former NFL player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, ... during the anthem, as a peaceful protest," said Reid. "We chose to kneel because it's a respectful gesture."

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Aussieleeds wrote: Pretty sure the concept of “taking a knee” started years before George Floyd’s death and was intended as a show of disrespect to the American Anthem by NFL footballer Colin Karpernick.
You are correct.
Kapernick started his protest by SITTING in the stands and it was in 2017 he began to take the knee.

George Floyd died with a knee on his neck in 2020 and it is not beyond the bounds of imagination that the symbolic act of kneeling has now morphed to encompass this act of police brutality, and subliminally this is the message it conveys, and serves as a constant reminder.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:34 pm Thanks for your concern 64, I’m told all will be well when I have my second operation in the new year 👍🏻
Rather you than me mate, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a hospital in these surreal times, needs must in your case Byebye.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Our squad will gradually improve with each transfer window to come
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:14 pm Rather you than me mate, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a hospital in these surreal times, needs must in your case Byebye.
Just what I was saying a couple of weeks back but as you say needs must. I’ve been very impressed with the treatment I’ve received from York hospital though it’s been 1st class - thank God for the NHS!