Leeds United v Leicester City Match Thread - Rodrigo and Raphinha out, Shack, Cooper and Pablo in!

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds United v Leicester City Match Thread - Rodrigo and Raphinha out, Shack, Cooper and Pablo in!

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:23 pm I think Paddy used up all his luck v Villa
He missed two in the first half against Villa too - 3 tonight.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds United v Leicester City Match Thread - Rodrigo and Raphinha out, Shack, Cooper and Pablo in!

Post by Boo Radley »

Cjay wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:03 pm Also i think taking Pablo off was wrong, for Raphinha or Rodrigo maybe but not Roberts.

Against a packed defence you need guile, Roberts hasnt got that.

Dont have an issue with being beaten by a better side on the day but when your own individual sloppy play contributes thats frustrating.
It’s no wonder Pablo was sickened going off, when he saw who he was being replaced by. Surely that is enough about Roberts. Tried hard but he just hasn’t got it.

We looked so out of sorts from the start that it was scary. We could have conceded four in the first half alone. We forced everything, we wobbled in possession and couldn’t put two passes together. Was it the weather, are they feeling the pressure of expectation? If the home support was there they’d be blamed.

When we composed ourselves after halftime they actually wobbled and then we really missed the home support. Our waste at corners is continuing at a depressing rate. You just can’t waste a set piece persistently like that and expect success. Our vulnerability straight through the middle is really worrying and especially expect to see plenty more of that approach after tonight.

Finally, our lack of depth has been really exposed tonight. We had nothing to really frighten Leicester on the bench. I know we were missing four quality players, but we can expect that during this campaign and this pandemic. We may be promoting some U23’s, especially attacking players, quicker than we imagined.

Depressing night, but will be worth it if we learn enough and develop quickly as a result.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

We missed Rodrigo tonight...
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Wasnt our night, we were too predictable again, everything down the flanks, nothing through the middle whatsoever and no chances to break. Might not be too bad if any of the wide players were consistently good at crossing the ball but more often than not tonight it was a poor ball or they missed the chance to get the cross in. I can only think of bamfords chance in the first minute when a cross found one of our players In the box.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

faaip wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:22 pm Don't forget to vote on the MOTM thread - top 6
Especially as you gave Klich an 8 ;-)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:00 pm As I said earlier, if you watch carefully you'll see Leicester have been deliberately set up to intercept passes from our third into MF and hit on the counter right on our doorstep. Need some mettle here, just the kind of game we needed Kalvin in.
Yes we were wide open without Kalvin there!

Just knew Vardy with his pace & eye for goals would hurt us, our CB's couldn't cope with him.

Was Cooper playing tonight?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Gelhardt should be given a chance before Roberts gets another.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:25 pm He missed two in the first half against Villa too - 3 tonight.
I know, it's heartbreaking to watch
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Not much to like about tonight. The only positive was another excellent game from Klich.
When they attacked us our defense looked stretched and slow. Our passing was awful in the first half but looked better in the second.
Terrible mistake by Koch to give them the first goal (Koch up?). Two relatively easy chances for Bamford to score, which would have completely changed the game around.
Having said all that, Leicester are one of the better teams in the league and will finish in the top 4 this season. They did actually make us look pretty ordinary for all the first half and we only looked good for parts of the second.
I know we are not allowed to criticize Bielsa, but I think he should have put Roberts on for Bamford and kept Pablo on.
leedsalex
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsalex »

BobHirst wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:31 pm Not much to like about tonight. The only positive was another excellent game from Klich.
When they attacked us our defense looked stretched and slow. Our passing was awful in the first half but looked better in the second.
Terrible mistake by Koch to give them the first goal (Koch up?). Two relatively easy chances for Bamford to score, which would have completely changed the game around.
Having said all that, Leicester are one of the better teams in the league and will finish in the top 4 this season. They did actually make us look pretty ordinary for all the first half and we only looked good for parts of the second.
I know we are not allowed to criticize Bielsa, but I think he should have put Roberts on for Bamford and kept Pablo on.

This
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:28 pm Losing it in midfield, I was thinking before they scored that we could be 3 down.

Everyone said we’d get a few spankings, unless we find a goal now this could be one of those nights.
We will if we continue to defend like schoolboys

Foxes had three of their main defenders out tonight, watching that you wouldn't think so!
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

We win as a team ...We lose as a team

Lets not start bun fights by blaming one individual.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:25 pm We missed Rodrigo tonight...
I agree Sara - and I’d like to see Gelhardt on the bench instead of Roberts, he is hungry and has a cutting edge. He’s 18 and Roberts has been hanging around not quite making it himself for 2/3 years, so what have we got to lose?
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Cjay wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:11 pm Against a packed defence? Not so sure.

I think we missed Rodders and Raph and KP.

We got away with out a proper dm vs Villa but against a decent counter attacking side like Leicester we were always going to struggle.

1st goal was crucial imo, Paddy has to take responsibility for that because Ayling was poor and Koch but Bamford should score their is no excuse for that.
A very good analysis of Bamford's finishing which I read recently looked at his finishing since 2015. It concluded that he struggles with agility when it comes to reacting quickly in packed boxes. He is just not a ' fox in the box ' striker which is probably what we need when teams sit deep and counter.

This wasn't in the analysis but his heading ability in the box IMO is the best example of basic flaws in his technical ability as a goal poacher - he has had so many shocking headed efforts from close range.

This article concluded that Bamford's finishing is much better in open play with more space, when somebody plays a through ball to his feet. He can then shoot with his favoured left foot which he has much more accuracy with.

As most teams will try to play like Wolves and Leicester we have a big problem.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

SG90 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:29 pm Gelhardt should be given a chance before Roberts gets another.
Beat me to it. :)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:33 pm We will if we continue to defend like schoolboys

Foxes had three of their main defenders out tonight, watching that you wouldn't think so!
Yet their CB cost £30m! £30m for a reserve CB?! Just shows how big the gulf is.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:33 pm We will if we continue to defend like schoolboys

Not sure 64, generally accepted we were awful and we could quite easily have had 3 / 4 tonight.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:28 pm Especially as you gave Klich an 8 ;-)
That obvious?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:35 pm I agree Sara - and I’d like to see Gelhardt on the bench instead of Roberts, he is hungry and has a cutting edge. He’s 18 and Roberts has been hanging around not quite making it himself for 2/3 years, so what have we got to lose?
Not me, but I agree anyway.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Problem was our midfield provided nothing much to our striker, and offered little protection to a Keystone Kops defence against seasoned and well trained opponents.

I refuse to call specific players out, we learn and move on. There were positives to take too, but I’d have Gelhardt training with the first team if he isn’t already. :tup: