Barry Douglas

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Barry Douglas

Post by The Subhuman »

Got Dallas off the hook, that was surely a goal had he not intervened. Davis waits but he's still very young.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Injured for 22 league games since arriving.

Thats a hell of a lot for a player who has only been here for 1.5 seasons.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:28 pm Injured for 22 league games since arriving.

Thats a hell of a lot for a player who has only been here for 1.5 seasons.
I reckon we'll offload Douglas within the next twelve months
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Never been his biggest fan, in fact I've been so disappointed with him & as a consequence highly critical of Barry Douglas!

Looked assured in the 45 minutes v WBA.
Played well at the Emirates in his first full 90 minute game in a long time.

Credit where credit is due :supbo: if BD starts v the Owls lets hope his good form continues
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Never wavered from my conviction there's a good footballer there..Certainly good enough to start for a top Championship side. More time we give him the better he'll get.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Meh was ok 1st half vs Arsenal tbf but 2nd half most of their attacks were down his side and it was Pepe getting away from him easily that lead to the goal.

Poor defender, lacks the pace to play the system.

Ali has had some poor games but the style demands full backs push on, Ali has the pace to get back and offers more of a goal threat.

Douglas will get caught up the pitch but wont have the pace to get back.

Don't mind him starting vs Wednesday as reward for the 1st half vs Arsenal and 2nd vs WBA but he worries me greatly.

Wolves fans were spot on about him
Signed

King Cjay

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:07 am Meh was ok 1st half vs Arsenal tbf but 2nd half most of their attacks were down his side and it was Pepe getting away from him easily that lead to the goal.

Poor defender, lacks the pace to play the system.

Ali has had some poor games but the style demands full backs push on, Ali has the pace to get back and offers more of a goal threat.

Douglas will get caught up the pitch but wont have the pace to get back.

Don't mind him starting vs Wednesday as reward for the 1st half vs Arsenal and 2nd vs WBA but he worries me greatly.

Wolves fans were spot on about him
Thought wolves fans rated him highly? My dad's a season ticket holder there and couldn't believe they were getting rid of him!

Thought he had a good game against arsenal. Nothing spectacular just solid, would love to see him crossing the ball in more. Maybe it will come with more game time and building his confidence up.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:35 pm Thought wolves fans rated him highly? My dad's a season ticket holder there and couldn't believe they were getting rid of him!

Thought he had a good game against arsenal. Nothing spectacular just solid, would love to see him crossing the ball in more. Maybe it will come with more game time and building his confidence up.
Some did but not necessarily because he was a good defender from what i read, it was his goals and assists that endeared him.

He was seen as the weak link in the Wolves side defensively hence why they got rid.

The general consensus seemed to be that they loved him for his contribution offensively but most seemed to agree that his defensive skills which were dodgy in the Championship would be to risky in the Prem.

He was solid tbf but definitely would be a weak link if played imo, on a few occasions Pepe got past him and Douglas couldn't get back, no shame in Pepe getting past him but the lack of pace Douglas has is a large concern when we have full backs who push on so much.

Either he has to push on less which ruins the system or he just has to position himself better?
Signed

King Cjay

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:45 pm Some did but not necessarily because he was a good defender from what i read, it was his goals and assists that endeared him.

He was seen as the weak link in the Wolves side defensively hence why they got rid.

The general consensus seemed to be that they loved him for his contribution offensively but most seemed to agree that his defensive skills which were dodgy in the Championship would be to risky in the Prem.

He was solid tbf but definitely would be a weak link if played imo, on a few occasions Pepe got past him and Douglas couldn't get back, no shame in Pepe getting past him but the lack of pace Douglas has is a large concern when we have full backs who push on so much.

Either he has to push on less which ruins the system or he just has to position himself better?
fair enough - makes sense!

It is strange though because I thought he would be great for us offensively but he really hasn't. I wonder if it's Bielsa's system/he's been tactically told not to venture so far forward - doesn't seem like it would be this though as ayling spends half his time usually roaming around the outside of the opponent's box!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Probably his best game for Leeds

Barry Douglas vs. Blackburn:

88% pass accuracy (highest on pitch)
77 touches
50/57 successful passes
17/19 attacking third passes
9 ball recoveries (most on pitch) Glowing star
4/7 successful long passes
3 crosses
2 tackles won
1 interception
2 chances created
1 shot on-target
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Douglas and Ali did not give us the attacking options that we are used to but I for one am relieved he had a great game.

I feel that for this end of season to go well everyone will need to contribute.

If Douglas plays on Thursday I would expect he would get some opportunities to take a few corners as Stoke will bring their bus.

Eastly last season he did put one right on Roberts head for a goal.( Home to Reading was it)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Surprised that he didn't play in the Under 23's today. All the other first teamers that needed minutes played at least 45 (Shackleton, Strujik, Bogusz, Davis, Gotts, Casey). Could that signal the end, that he's not in the plans at all any more?

When asked about him a week ago, Bielsa said that if he's here he still considers him a valuable part of the squad. But if he was being honest about that surely he would have got some minutes in the 23's today. Asked Beren Cross (Leeds Live) and he kind of thought the same, not indicating there's any injuries. So, I fully expect him to be on his way before the deadline.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I think Bielsa also said he's a great professional. My interpretation: Even though he knows he won't be playing he turns up everyday on time. :)

Time to move on Barry. Davis is waiting in the wings and deserves his chance if needed.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:50 pm I think Bielsa also said he's a great professional. My interpretation: Even though he knows he won't be playing he turns up everyday on time. :)

Time to move on Barry. Davis is waiting in the wings and deserves his chance if needed.
Davis was on the bench yesterday (and played in the 23s today), Douglas wasn't (and didn't). Pretty clear Bielsa puts Davis ahead of Douglas. I suppose that could change if they decide to give Davis a good loan move.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Yeah. Its obvious is time is up here. Make room for the younger lads coming thru. He's possibly one of our biggest earners from that Championship squad aswell. Celtic come and get him.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Never thought Barry Douglas was good enough to play in Bielsa's Premier League squad

Nice fella & I wish Barry all the best at Blackburn, hope he remains injury free & rediscovers his Wolves form

Player Profiles

My view

https://motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 37#p801237

General consensus

https://motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 25#p805725
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Real class shown by Orta and Leeds United in the open letter published on Twitter today addressed to Douglas as he leaves for Blackburn. Well done to all involved, and the best of luck to Douglas.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Boo Radley wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:35 pm Real class shown by Orta and Leeds United in the open letter published on Twitter today addressed to Douglas as he leaves for Blackburn. Well done to all involved, and the best of luck to Douglas.
Excellent stuff from the club, shows Douglas was held in high regard by players and staff alike. Good luck to the lad.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Always been a bit disappointed with this signing, never really did much for us but it Just shows that some players can have as much of an impact off the pitch as on it, not sure that justifies the wages and the fee but fair play to Barry, he contributed to the promotion and will always be grateful for that.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bielsa sad to see Barry go.

"In the case of Douglas it's different. It makes me very sad that he has left our team because in the two years he has been with us he has made a significant contribution."

"He is an impeccable professional and he is a very respected member within the team."

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk