Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:43 pm Always felt we would struggle against their two DFMs and so it proved, time and again they regained possession when we tried to run instead of pass through them. Most of our joy came out wide, what a run by Bamford for the goal and then Dallas broke down that side as well. We look better on the wings this season over last as there is more space to work with.

KPs had a torrid time but losing Pablo so near to KO was a huge blow. At times he couldn't find an out ball.

We all knew that Bogusz wouldn't get on so imo that was a place on the bench wasted.

But we were good for spells of the game and clinical in front of goal.

Points in the bag and the nerves frayed to the bone.

But it is Saturday night, we will be chatting to friends on zoom while getting to know a nice single malt I picked up from the offy.

Lovely
Have an extra glass on me pal, it's a good day :ok:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

Post by Irish Ian »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:46 pm Have an extra glass on me pal, it's a good day :ok:
Many thanks
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:33 pm Youre probably right. My take had been that Phiilips fills in the middle and Cooper goes out wider. But I like you're take on it better
It clicked when I saw the replay of their third, Harrison arrived too late to cover the cross. Then I went back to watch their second and it was the same player on Dallas's left, he was caught between trying to mark two. Coops and Koch each had their own man. Harrison was nowhere to be seen.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:43 pm Always felt we would struggle against their two DFMs and so it proved, time and again they regained possession when we tried to run instead of pass through them. Most of our joy came out wide, what a run by Bamford for the goal and then Dallas broke down that side as well. We look better on the wings this season over last as there is more space to work with.

KPs had a torrid time but losing Pablo so near to KO was a huge blow. At times he couldn't find an out ball.
Agree. I think what's lost in "Phillips didnt play well" and "Klich was great" is the tactics. Phillips was thrown in and overrun. It came off as a bad game but he stuck to it well. Klich had a great game because of all the space that was left further up. Bielsa's tactics and even though it looked like a bad game for Kalvin, he was doing the job of two men.
Last edited by andrewjohnsmith on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We may have conceded 7, but 3 were penalties. We won't have 30 penalties against us this season.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

KP was poor because he was against both Anguissa and Reed. When we play Roberts at 10, we get no help in midfield. That's why we struggled first half until Pablo came on after the restart.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:32 pm Still beats watching George Graham's Leeds
It does, but reminds me of Kevin Keegans Newcastle :shock:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Maybe not having fans there helped today. The crowd would have been edgy at 4-3 and perhaps added nerves to the pitch.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm Agree. I think what's lost in "Phillips playey well" and "Klich was great" is the tactics. Phillips was thrown in and overrun. It came off as a bad game but he stuck to it well. Klich had a great game because of all the space that was left further up. Bielsa's tactics and even though it looked like a bad game for Kalvin, he was doing the job of two men.
Have to agree with this. I noticed it at Liverpool aswell, i was surprised Liverpool didn't make the space count more. There is a gaping hole in Midfield at times, Phillips needs more help in their for me. We have the 2 wide men and Klich playing forward of Phillips. Its almost a front 5 and a back 5 with nothing in between at times. I guess that's why its entertaining. :duno:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Weird how Costa was poor when he was on loan, but since his permanent move, he's been class.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:13 pm I thought Koch played well. People will mention the penalty, but will say nothing about the block from Hector when he had a free header.
Agree On Koch, his colleagues around him looked ragged at times
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:15 pm Or robbing Mitrovich from a clear cut scoring position towards the end of the first half.
Looks a goal threat too!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:23 pm 3 points. Only 37 more to get to ensure Prem Status next season (I think)
Fulham are the type of expected lower teams we need to take the points off, any points gained v the top eight clubs are a bonus imo!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:05 pm Defences take a lot longer to build than attacks, it's all about understanding and teamwork and that takes time.
Agree totally :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:26 pm Yeah 40 total should do it.

You know, folks, we have to remember that every game we play is going to be tough. Expect heart surgeons to be in high demand until survival is guaranteed.
I did say after our promotion to the PL we have to expect more defeats than last season
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm Weird how Costa was poor when he was on loan, but since his permanent move, he's been class.
Like a new signing for me, a excellent start to this season for our coffee boy
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

oh boy, what a wonderful view

8 Liverpool FC Liverpool FC 1 1 0 0 4:3 1 3
9 Leeds United Leeds United 2 1 0 1 7:7 0 3
10 Burnley FC Burnley FC 0 0 0 0 0:0 0 0
11 Manchester City Manchester City 0 0 0 0 0:0 0 0
12 Aston Villa Aston Villa 0 0 0 0 0:0 0 0
13 Southampton FC Southampton FC 1 0 0 1 0:1 -1 0
14 Tottenham Hotspur Tottenham Hotspur 1 0 0 1 0:1 -1 0
15 Manchester United Manchester United 1 0 0 1 1:3 -2 0
16 Brighton & Hove Albion Brighton & Hove Albion 1 0 0 1 1:3 -2 0
17 West Ham United West Ham United 1 0 0 1 0:2 -2 0
18 Sheffield United Sheffield United 1 0 0 1 0:2 -2 0
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Feel sorry for Koch, thought he played well, best of the back 4 imo.

Our left hand side was poor today and imo Meslier should have done better for all of the goals.

Costa looks every inch a Premier league player and Paddy to based on today, both of them were superb.

Klich was good to but imo we were to open and as part of that midfield he has to do better.

We are really clinical atm but we must ne harder to beat (same as last season) we cant concede at this rate.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

whiteswan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:26 pm It does, but reminds me of Kevin Keegans Newcastle :shock:
Be about right - As long as Bielsa doesn't have one of those Sky Sports post match meltdowns
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm Weird how Costa was poor when he was on loan, but since his permanent move, he's been class.
No need to question. We'll take it