Leeds United v Hull City - MATCH THREAD - Bielsa makes eleven changes

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds United v Hull City - MATCH THREAD - Bielsa makes eleven changes

Post by mothbanquet »

SG90 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:10 pm He could've subbed Roberts off but chose not to.
I don't know, no doubt if you asked him he'd give a plausible answer. And he'd admit to being wrong. But he shouldn't have had to sub him in the first place - I've always been on the fence with Roberts but this was a big, big mark against him in my books. Even Bogusz managed to carry the ball well at some points and penetrate and he's nowhere near the first team.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SG90 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:14 pm Bielsa is to blame because he picked the team. Simple.
Anyone would fancy the team he picked. They didn't do the job. Simple.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 pm Anyone would fancy the team he picked. They didn't do the job. Simple.
I didn't. As soon as I saw the team sheet, I knew we'd go out.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Three senior players Roberts, Douglas, Alioski showed tonight why they are not good enough

Cresswell looked out of his depth, I assume the same goes for Casey who was subbed at half-time
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SG90 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pm I didn't. As soon as I saw the team sheet, I knew we'd go out.
Through lack of ability or lack of effort? Because I only saw the latter.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:09 pm Well said Cjay, another two and a quarter hours of my life wasted watching that shite.

I don't understand MB's logic, unless he's trying to out perform Heckingbottom and company.

Roll on Saturday and let's put Fulham to the sword. RDP won't be looking this performance on Instagram that's for sure.
I dont have any issues with the team tbh mate, we have a tiny squad a very little room to manoeuvre.

This was an opportunity for Rodrigo to get some minutes ( apart from those minutes for Spain and for us Rodders hasnt played properly since the beginning of February so he will be very rusty).

It was an opportunity for Douglas, Roberts, Ali and Kiko to stake a claim ( Douglas and Roberts can forget it, they were so bad ) Ali got the goal but not really enough and Kiko made some decent but easy saves).

And it was a chance for the kids, Poveda, Bogusz, Davis, Cresswell, Casey etc to show that they are worthy of a place in the first team (sadly aside from Poveda and being kind Bogusz they arent).

MB tried his 2nd string and most were found wanting and for me 2 of the senior players can go, ive been keen on selling them to raise funds all summer, Douglas and Roberts should be sold to fund improvements and that opinion is made up now.

All MB learned tonight is that we are still lacking 3 or 4 players minimum, cb, lb, gk, am.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:22 pm Three senior players Roberts, Douglas, Alioski showed tonight they are not good enough

Cresswell looked out of his depth, I assume the same goes for Casey who was subbed at half-time
Against a League One team, no less. I can excuse the young lads but the three you mentioned, absolutely none.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

There is no way you can blame the manager for that, there was enough "talent" in that team to win... they simply did not play to the usual standard...maybe having the GK as captain effected the balance on the field, who knows... Douglas has reached his sell by date , sadly, Very disappointed with Shackleton , seems to be going backwards... Poveda the bright star in that 11....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:16 pm I don't know, no doubt if you asked him he'd give a plausible answer. And he'd admit to being wrong. But he shouldn't have had to sub him in the first place - I've always been on the fence with Roberts but this was a big, big mark against him in my books. Even Bogusz managed to carry the ball well at some points and penetrate and he's nowhere near the first team.
I haven't sat on the fence, I genuinely can't see what Roberts offers our team.

Championship player at best!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Cjay wrote:

He probably does and the answer is they couldnt hack it.

A premier league 2nd team should walk through a League 1 side Norm, thats what they should do.

The fact ours hasnt is a concern, its not the case of the cup really mattering because it doesnt, what matters is if Hernandez goes down injured then Roberts replaces him, Roberts couldnt open up Hull.

If Dallas and ALi go down Douglas comes in, he got skinned by a Legue 1 reserve tonight.

If Koch and Coops go down Struijk, Creswell and Casey are next up.

Point is we are only a handful of injuries away from relying on these players and as people mention for an excuse for the performance, lack of preseason, that in turn increases the likelihood of injuries.
I was a bit tongue-in-cheek before but the serious part was absolutely that of yours which I've highlighted.
It just proves we haven't got a PL 2nd team yet, or maybe we have but that wasn't it. All the "Murder Ball" on earth isn't going to win you games but if you work at it with potentially good players it could. I don't know what that was about but the one certain thing is that, for MB, there will have been a point. Possibly expect a comment from him.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Look, we've also got to give credit to Hull here. It wasn't just that we played crap, they forced us to play crap. They had steel and determination and pressed ruthlessly right until the very end. They didn't sit back after scoring, they kept marauding forward and tracking back, and worked their bollocks off for 94 mins. They earned it.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:22 pm I dont have any issues with the team tbh mate, we have a tiny squad a very little room to manoeuvre.

This was an opportunity for Rodrigo to get some minutes ( apart from those minutes for Spain and for us Rodders hasnt played properly since the beginning of February so he will be very rusty).

It was an opportunity for Douglas, Roberts, Ali and Kiko to stake a claim ( Douglas and Roberts can forget it, they were so bad ) Ali got the goal but not really enough and Kiko made some decent but easy saves).

And it was a chance for the kids, Poveda, Bogusz, Davis, Cresswell, Casey etc to show that they are worthy of a place in the first team (sadly aside from Poveda and being kind Bogusz they arent).

MB tried his 2nd string and most were found wanting and for me 2 of the senior players can go, ive been keen on selling them to raise funds all summer, Douglas and Roberts should be sold to fund improvements and that opinion is made up now.

All MB learned tonight is that we are still lacking 3 or 4 players minimum, cb, lb, gk, am.
Now we can understand why Bielsa sticks with basically the same XI in our league games
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:22 pm Through lack of ability or lack of effort? Because I only saw the latter.
11 changes v Hull at full strength. 4 kids at the back. No creativity through the middle.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:28 pm Now we can understand why Bielsa sticks with basically the same XI in our league games
Well they won't be getting any gametime soon, that's for sure.

Until Bielsa throws away the FA Cup by picking them.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The likes of Bogusz and Davis haven't played proper football since Stoke in the cup over a year ago. How will they get more gametime now?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SG90 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:31 pm 11 changes v Hull at full strength. 4 kids at the back. No creativity through the middle.
Against a League One team, those kids and those players in the middle should have done far, far better, it's no excuse. They all know their jobs and they were picked because they're supposed to have the ability to step into the first team. That's the whole point.

I'm thoroughly wound up by that game and I do see the point you're trying to make. It's not completely unjustified either. But if those players gave everything in that game then more blame could be levelled at Bielsa (who will take complete responsibility because that's the kind of man he is) and the point would be more pertinent. As it was, only a couple played to the standards expected of them and the senior players were no example whatsoever.

If they put the required effort and concentration in, the result would've been different. That team would've achieved more if they showed the same attitude Hull did instead of allowing themselves to be bullied and pushed around.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:42 pm Against a League One team, those kids and those players in the middle should have done far, far better, it's no excuse. They all know their jobs and they were picked because they're supposed to have the ability to step into the first team. That's the whole point.

I'm thoroughly wound up by that game and I do see the point you're trying to make. It's not completely unjustified either. But if those players gave everything in that game then more blame could be levelled at Bielsa (who will take complete responsibility because that's the kind of man he is) and the point would be more pertinent. As it was, only a couple played to the standards expected of them and the senior players were no example whatsoever.

If they put the required effort and concentration in, the result would've been different. That team would've achieved more if they showed the same attitude Hull did instead of allowing themselves to be bullied and pushed around.
:tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:40 pm Roberts should be taking opportunities like these, he just isn't good enough.
Give me a gold star :star: :P
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I blame Bielsa, because there was no need to make 11 changes. 2/3 max, yeah. Now we're undercooked for Saturday, Struijk and Koch need more games together. Rodrigo needs to link up with the team. What are we saving players for?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:47 pm Give me a gold star :star: :P
:pig: That's all I've got tonight :roflmao: