The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wedensday 16th September) - Should Radrizzani splash the cash on De Paul & Gvardiol?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wedensday 16th September) - Should Radrizzani splash the cash on De Paul & Gvardiol?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 16th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

De Paul keen on move, should Radrizzani just pay the £37m?

The Rodrigo De Paul rumours still rumours still rumble on with the Square Ball prompting an incredible response from the Argentinian on Twitter suggesting he is extremely keen on the move. Italian journalists say that the only thing the way of a move now is Leeds meeting Udinese’s valuation of around £37 million. With Chairman Andrea Radrizzani telling the Financial Times Leeds had £35m-£50m of their summer transfer budget still remaining should Leeds look to push the deal over the line?

Whilst Leeds proved on Saturday that they are capable of competing with the best teams in the Premier League it was an outstanding individual display from Mohamed Salah that ultimately gave Liverpool the points. It was however a quiet game for Pablo Hernandez, do we need more options in that area? Is De Paul the kind of player we need, the kind of player with that individual brilliance to take us to the next level?

Should Radrizzani get his wallet out and splash the rest of our cash?

A genuine chance at silverware? Who should Bielsa play tonight?

After the excitement of Saturday it is back to Earth with a bump for the next two games as Leeds take on Hull City in the Carabo Cup and Fulham in the League. The cup may be a bit of a distraction at this time of the season but Leeds fans with see Saturday as an early opportunity to get some points on the board. With that mind what team does Marcelo bielsa pick tonight?

Is Robin Koch given more valuable game time to get up to speed with the English style and Bielsa’s system? If so who partners him up front? Pascal Struijk played well on Saturday but Liam Cooper, retuning from injury, may need game time whilst it could be a great opportunity for Charlie Cresswell and Oliver Casey from the U23s to get some first team action.

Barry Douglas was noticeable absent from Saturday’s team, prompting speculation of a move, will we see him tonight? Hull could also be a good opportunity to see more of Rodrigo and Pioveda whilst Gjanni Alioski would probably expect to get his first time of the season. Who would you play? Is this a serious chance to pickup some silverware this season or just a distraction we don’t need?

£20 million for an 18 year old, is Gvardiol worth the risk?

The trail on young creation defender Joško Gvardiol seems to have gone cold. Leeds clearly rate the player and there is no doubt he has a lot of potential but £20 million on a relatively unproven player is a lot of money. Do Leeds still need to strengthen at the back or does the emergence of Pascal Struijk as a genuine option at centre back as well as central defence mean that Leeds do not need to bring in additional defensive reinforcements.

Charlie Cresswell and Oliver Casey have also impressed for Leeds in the U23 setup and look likely to join uop with the first team squad this season. With these kind of prospects coming through should Leeds take a gable on a £20m 18 year old or keep thie cash to strengthen other areas of the team?

Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wedensday 16th September) - Should Radrizzani splash the cash on De Paul & Gvardiol?

Post by Scoobychief »

Whether it is on the 2 players you mention or other players, we certainly NEEDS a CB and creative Midfielder and keeper, and time is running out.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wedensday 16th September) - Should Radrizzani splash the cash on De Paul & Gvardiol?

Post by lufc1304 »

De Paul yes, not sure we need Gvardiol with Struijk looking like he can cover CB. If it's a choice between the two, then it has to be the 10 role.

New and fringe players for me tonight, give them some game time.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Yep, need RDP more. Get him then see what’s left for an up and coming CB.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks,

EB you take care of yourself, my mates wee boy almost died from an Asthma atack a while back.

Re Leeds. Im 50/50 over De Paul, not doubting his credentials but would it leave the coffers empty? Is there a less pricier option that would save us £10M?
Or a loan to buy option.?( But clubs might be wary of that one after JKA)

Gvaridol looks dead in the water but imo a CB would be handy, not wanting to pour cold water on the Struijk love in but he almost sunk us with that almost OG. Only a the save of the day from Meslier prevented a goal.

He doesnt look like he has a cool head, so he plays with Koch tonight in a back 3 with Coops. Or moves into DFM and we rest Captain Phillips.

Tonight. I want a win. It will do morale no good to go into Fulham on the back of two defeats. Rodrigo to start out wide on the right or insiide n place of Pablo.

Shacks for Klich
Ali for Dallas

Rotation rather than changes
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Going on Saturday's game only, Pascal Struijk looked a better player to partner Coooer at the moment although they both line up on the left of center.
Koch needs more time to adjust to the English game and Bielsa ball so he should play tonight.
We definitely need cover for Pablo if Saturday was anything to go by so RDP should be our priority.
I know a lot of people on here aren't keen but I would still try and get Ryan Kent as well.
Mateusz Bogusz may well be an eventual replacement for Pablo but he is still young and inexperienced.

I think Barry Douglas will be playing elsewhere before the transfer window closes, possibly on loan.
We have more than enough cover at LB now that Davis is fit again.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Depends how close Casey is to starting too, he maybe an adequate CB4
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Most excited to see how Rodders and Poveda do.

Id love De Paul, id be very happy with Buendia to ( cant fathom why we arent after him)

We need 3 players imo and we should be looking to do that asap not waiting around till the end of the window, need points on the board and players in early as possible.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

The only absolute must for full 90 min games for me are Koch/Coops or Koch/Strujik and Rodrigo. They need as many game minutes as possible to get into the system.

A no10 is a strong requirement. I don't think Pablo's issues against Liverpool were anything to do with fitness or ability. I just think against a fresh-bodied and fresh-minded Van Dijk and Gomez his passes were simply cut out too easily. Definitely think he would've had a better effect in the second half as a sub, HOWEVER...on a personal note I think we owed it to him to start him against Liverpool at Anfield in our first game back in the Premier League. He's earned it.

Still, it's an absolutely key position within this system and we can't half-arse it. If we're going to spend a lot of money on a player, let it be DePaul's quality in that position.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

we should be after Buendia he was in the top 10 for assists last season playing for a very poor team and he has the advantage of knowing the league . we definitely need top quality reinforcements just cant really see it happening Bielsa likes a small squad and cant see any of the first team squad leaving.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds are a big club, they have to give our fans something to play for, apart from consolidating in the PL, our aims should be the cups & possibly a Europa place.

I'm hoping Marcelo selects much of the team that started v Liverpool, our first team need games to get match-fit as there has been precious little match practice in the pre-season build up. Eight of our players missed out on Bielsa style training due to international call ups.

Still think we need another CB & LB, I don't want to see the likes of Phillips, Ayling, Dallas shuffled about into central defensive roles because we are lightweight in those areas, Luke/Kalvin/Stuart & the team as a whole are much more effective when they are playing in their natural positions

De Paul would be a icing on the cake signing, unconvinced he's heading to Leeds though
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

WhiteRose wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 am we should be after Buendia he was in the top 10 for assists last season playing for a very poor team and he has the advantage of knowing the league . we definitely need top quality reinforcements just cant really see it happening Bielsa likes a small squad and cant see any of the first team squad leaving.
Yes good shout as Delia needs the money

About time we took quality players off the canaries
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Buendia - isn't the problem his attitude, a la Benrahma?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yep
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

De Paul and Gvardiol

Both quality players but think the price has gone far too high on both. Gvardiol would have been fine at 10 million but Strujik has proved himself as a left sided back up. De Paul would be a great to have and really add something to the team. But. for my money, I'm not paying over 30 million. There are good young playmakers out there for 20 million. And a back up defender should only be costing us 10 million maximum.

Carabao Cup

Win the game. We need a cup run. We have a few first choice players that need more game time and a few squad players that could use a game. Koch and Rodrigo, for sure, plus all the first team squad that didn't start Saturday (Poveda, Aliosjk, Douglas, etc)
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SaraM wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:45 am Buendia - isn't the problem his attitude, a la Benrahma?
I heard that myself but not reading too much into it without the details. It could be a personal thing with Farke or other teammates, or some sort of mitigating factors (please give some solid info if anyone has any). I tend to only make those judgements with players like Neymar, where it's so consistent and out in the open.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Find the "we dont like their attitude" regarding Buendia and Benrahma as a bit odd.

Buendia doesnt get on with Farke it seems but we have no idea, maybe Farke is an arse behind the scenes? He has a temper thats clear on the pitch but thats not a bad thing, Cantona had a temper.

Benrahma posted a video, so what? All the reports and things about him suggest he is a very professional player, never gives any trouble in training etc.

Not like these two go around punching reporters.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

De Paul looks class, and I think we need more in that area. Pablo can't carry us every game. I'd go all in for him.

Gvardiol doesn't seem keen, and Struijk looks more than capable as cover!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I agree about de Paul, we need his class. Regarding defence, I think some opinions might change on a wet February day with 2 defenders crocked and an important match against good opposition to play. Remember our defence (arguably) got us promoted and it could yet be our safety net this season. I'm not saying I want a dour defence but I would like everybody in the team to have confidence in our back line to set the rest free.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Norm wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:56 pm I agree about de Paul, we need his class. Regarding defence, I think some opinions might change on a wet February day with 2 defenders crocked and an important match against good opposition to play. Remember our defence (arguably) got us promoted and it could yet be our safety net this season. I'm not saying I want a dour defence but I would like everybody in the team to have confidence in our back line to set the rest free.
Honestly Norm, looking across the seasons past, a promoted team's relying on defence is urinating into a gale. People point to the Blunts' defence last season but looking deeper into it, Henderson was an excellent keeper for them and made a lot of saves. He probably had a big hand in commanding and organising the defenders too. Watching them against Wolves (who are a good team, make no mistake), Henderson or lack thereof will make a big difference to them this season.

The best promoted teams focus on goals, we demonstrated exactly against Liverpool what is required of us - we attack teams and go for the throat. We'll always be somewhat vulnerable at the back at this level until we have a whole back line of exceptional players but until then it's all about outscoring the opposition (the raison d'etre of Bielsaball anyway).

DePaul will be a direct boost to our ability to do that, and ergo stay up. Let Fulham and West Brom sit deep, the results will continue to imitate their opening games.