Liverpool v Leeds United - MATCH THREAD - Cooper out, Struijk starts

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Liverpool v Leeds United - MATCH THREAD - Cooper out, Struijk starts

Post by Ellandback1 »

Liverpool v Leeds Utd

Saturday 12th September 2020 17.30 | Anfield

Leeds United will face the toughest of starts to the Premier League campaign when they travel to Anfield on 12th September to face Champions Liverpool. A battle of Champions vs Champions, Jürgen Klopp’s Heavy Metal Football vs Bielsaball is a tantalising prospect for Leeds United’s first game back in the topflight for sixteen years. Leeds United’s record is not great at Anfield only managing 8 wins in 56 visits, the last of those back in 2001 when goals from Ferdinand and Bowyer gave Leeds a 2-1 victory. The teams have faced each other twice since Leeds were last in the Premier League, on both occasions in the League cup with Liverpool winning both games 1-0 and 2-0. On the plus side, Leeds have never lost an opening match in the Premier League.

Having missed out on the first opportunity for silverware in the Charity Shield, Jurgen Klopp will ensure that all his players all fired up for this one. The Reds will be without Oxlade-Chamberlain whilst Tsimikas is in isolation having tested positive for Covid 19. They will line up with Mane, Salah and Firmino in attack, a daunting prospect for ant team.

Whilst I'm sure every Leeds player cannot wait to step out on the hallowed Anfield pitch, it is difficult to think of a harder game anywhere in the World! Bielsa must choose between the experience of Casilla or the youth of Meslier between the sticks. The Spaniard was highly tipped to leave in the Summer, but if this were the case why would have started both pre season friendlies with Casilla in goal?

With captain Liam Cooper injured, German International Robin Koch will start alongside Pascal Struijk in centra defence with Luke Ayling at right back and Stuart Dallas at left back. Kalvin Phillips suffered no ill effects after the England game, and will sit in front of the defence. Klich and Hernandez look set to occupy central midfield with Costa and Harrison out wide and Bamford as lone striker. We can expect to see marquee signing Rodrigo make an appearance at some point at Anfield as he takes his place on the bench.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Ayling, Koch, Struijk, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Hernandez, Costa, Bamford

Subs: Casilla, Casey, Alioski, Poveda, Shackleton, Roberts, Rodrigo
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by mothbanquet »

From playing Luton and Preston to one of the best teams in the world. It's good to be back.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:30 am From playing Luton and Preston to one of the best teams in the world. It's good to be back.
Brings a warm glow to my vision of watching Leeds playing top flight football again
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:09 am It is expected that German International Robin Koch will start alongside Liam Cooper with Ayling at right back and Douglas at left back.
Why Douglas & not Dallas one of our best servants last season?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Will there be a Bielsa press conference this week?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd set the under over at plus 4 for Leeds this week I think and bet the under
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

If Kikos in goals, it won't matter who else is in defence
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:03 pm Will there be a Bielsa press conference this week?
Thursday mate...
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

What are they smiling about?Image

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I see it as our first XI from last year with Koch for White. Can't see it any other way since there's been no time to prepare. Koch plays because we don't have anther CB. Rodrigo to get a good 30 minutes off the bench (45 if it looks bad at half time)

I also think Bielsa will pick Casilla just for his experience. Say what you want, but Meslier is young. But it will only be a matter of time before he takes Casilla's place

Casilla - Ayling, Dallas, Koch, Cooper - Phillips, Klich, Hernandez - Costa, Harrison, Bamford
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:54 pm What are they smiling about?Image

Got em where we want em - Looks like Apollo Creed before a Rocky fight
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Got em where we want em - Looks like Apollo Creed before a Rocky fight
Any team that are happy and smiling during training, have to be dangerous and confident... this photo was taken after three sessions of Bielsa inspired murder ball.

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Here we go then folks. What a game to start with, the reigning Champions of England, and former Champions of Europe. Should be a doddle then. :) Great to be back. Unfortunately i won't be watching live due to being in Skye, but i will record the game for when i get back.

Liverpool will press us high (that's what they do to all teams) and have some world class players, so i'm looking beyond the this game for our first points of the season. Its going to be a very different challenge for the lads being under the cosh. I just hope they stay calm and don't panic and capitulate. All tho if the do, i won't be too worried because not many teams come away from Anfield with anything.

I hope Koch plays, to stand any chance i think he has to. Throw him in to the lions den and see how he copes.

Gutted for both sets of fans. The atmosphere would have been one of the best of the season. Come on Leeds!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Smudge3920 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:47 pm Thursday mate...
:tup:
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:59 pm I see it as our first XI from last year with Koch for White. Can't see it any other way since there's been no time to prepare. Koch plays because we don't have anther CB. Rodrigo to get a good 30 minutes off the bench (45 if it looks bad at half time)

I also think Bielsa will pick Casilla just for his experience. Say what you want, but Meslier is young. But it will only be a matter of time before he takes Casilla's place

Casilla - Ayling, Dallas, Koch, Cooper - Phillips, Klich, Hernandez - Costa, Harrison, Bamford
i will be seriously p*ssed if he goes with kiko in goal, a disaster waiting to happen - i also think he will go with meslier anyway

agree with the rest of the team
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

if he doesn't want to start koch so soon i imagine dallas may go rb, ayling cb, douglas lb
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:09 pm Any team that are happy and smiling during training, have to be dangerous and confident... this photo was taken after three sessions of Bielsa inspired murder ball.

Anyone that looks this happy and smiling during training really aren’t training anywhere near as hard as they should be. Hope that’s the case here!
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

danhirons wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:37 pm i will be seriously p*ssed if he goes with kiko in goal, a disaster waiting to happen - i also think he will go with meslier anyway

agree with the rest of the team
Totally agree on Kiko. He can only be the necessary backstop now until we buy another keeper. He would implode under the pressure we’re likely to be under in Anfield.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Match Thread Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Smudge3920 »

Weekends are going to be great this year... winter is coming here in the Colonies, already seeing frost in the mornings, but when we hit the -30c + this year weekends will be great...
This Saturday (all live...)
05:30... Fulham v Arsenal
08:00... Crystal Palace v Southampton (with a full english courtesy of Mrs. S)
10:30... Liverpool v Leeds :celeb:
1:00... WHU v Newcastle
Sunday...
07:00... WBA v Leicester
09:30... Spurs v Everton
Monday...
11:00... Sheffield U v Wolves
1:15... Brighton v Chelski (lumpard vile 'orrible man :evil: )

Given the problems this year , shortened off season, lack of pre season, dam international's, I have no clue as to how "you know who" :love: will decide on the starting line up... my only real concern is goal... Kiko for obvious reasons and Meslier a huge step up for him, but would have more confidence in the latter... the rest I know they will run till they drop and not embarrass us... Been a long time, MOT.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:54 pm What are they smiling about?Image

They heard Kiko will be in goal....
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden