The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th August) - Leeds to test Rangers resolve with £15m offer for Kent

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th August) - Leeds to test Rangers resolve with £15m offer for Kent

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 27th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Rodrigo ready to sign on the dotted line

Having passed his medical in Valencia yesterday afternoon, Rodrigo flew to London yesterday evening where he is pitched up at at a hotel. Later on today, he will sign a three year contract, worth £100,00 a week! Leeds will part with £27m, rising to £36m with easily achievable add-ons!

Brighton confirm why they won't sell White to Leeds

Brighton have told Leeds that the reason why they do not want to sell Ben White to them, is that they see them as direct competition in the Premier League. The Seagulls finished the season in 15th place, eight points and three places above the drop zone. From their stance, it seems that they expect to be in another dog fight this coming term; whats more, they expect Leeds to be in the thick of it too. Bens agent, Alex Levack told Sky Sports...

The latest is there are a lot of conversations happening. Unfortunately for Leeds fans, Ben's just not going to be coming to Leeds. Brighton have categorically said there's no way they're going to sell to Leeds, so unfortunately that's the case. There's conversations going on, Ben's away up in Scotland with the Brighton team for pre-season, getting himself fit, getting around the team.I would say watch this space over the next few days.

JD Sports become Leeds first official sleeve sponsor for 2020/21 campaign.

In the latest ground-breaking commercial deal for Leeds, JD Sports have agreed for their logo to sit on the left arm of both the new men’s and women’s Adidas kits. They will be printed on adult and junior replica shirts. Peter Cowgill, chairman of JD Sports Fashion PLC said...

We are excited to partner with Leeds United ahead of their return to the Premier League. With the level of support and impact the Club has on the local community, as well as through its global fanbase, it’s great to see them back and for JD to be a part of the journey.

Leeds United Executive Director Paul Bell added...
JD are one of the most recognised names on the high street and we’re delighted to enter into this new strategic partnership with them. "The sponsorship market in the Premier League is as intense and competitive as ever and we are excited to be working with JD on our return to the top flight. We have successfully grown our retail operations over the last two years, increasing the number of official stores, upgrading our eCommerce platform and expanding our ranges of match and replica kit, training and leisure apparel.

The JD Group now has over 2,300 stores across 19 International territories including key markets such as Asia, USA and Australia and this new agreement will help the Club gain increased global visibility. “Following our landmark partnership with Adidas, the global leader in football, we’re now pleased to secure a relationship with JD, the leader in sports fashion. “We are looking forward to working with JD, in what I’m sure will be an important partnership for both JD and Leeds United.

£15m bid for Ryan Kent

According to the Daily Star, Leeds are about to launch a second bid on Rangers forward Ryan Kent. The Whites opening bid of 10m was quickly dismissed by Steven Gerrard, and even though the former England Captain made it clear that he didn't want to lose one of his prized assets, he maintained that every player has their price. The Whites are expected to offer 15m, eight million more than the Ibrox club paid for him one season ago. Bielsa has been a big fan of the 23 yeae old for a while, and wanted him last year. Unfortunately Kent joined Rangers instead!

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th August)Leeds to test Rangers resolve with 15m offer for Kent

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

From here on a sunny day in Bramley

Great news on Rodrigo looking forward to seeing him in a Leeds shirt

Good news on JD also, always good to get sponsorship into the club rather than having to do any dodgy deals with our ground ;-)

Kent obviously a good player and Bielsa likes him (apparently) but we seem to have plenty of wingers and I’d rather the money be spent on another CB plus I don’t recall him setting the SPL (pub league) on fire so far
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th August)Leeds to test Rangers resolve with 15m offer for Kent

Post by HarryofOz »

Later on today, he will sign a three year contract, worth £100,00 a week!
100 pounds a week, he must love us dearly. ;-)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I've no especially strong feelings of malice towards Brighton and their stance, if true is at least agreeable from a pragmatic sense. However, I do think they'll come to regret their decision. Whatever advantage White gives us will not change how we stay up in the Prem, if we do stay up, or how Brighton will get relegated, if they do get relegated.

After watching a fair few of their games over the past couple of seasons, I will argue there's an objective case to be made for how they will fare worse than us next season regardless of whether they sell White to us or not. What may well come to pass is that White's value will drop considerably over the next season if he stays and they will have wanted £25mil to strengthen them in the Championship next year.

Honestly, any of the bottom 10 clubs - and this is a sentiment repeated across all fans of these clubs - could have been relegated the past couple of seasons. The quality down there is really not that much above Championship level and survival has come down to who is the 'least terrible' because teams like Newcastle, West Ham and Brighton played absolutely horribly for long stretches yet still survived comfortably. When we lose it usually (and increasingly so the longer Bielsa's been in charge) is while still playing to a high standard. If we maintain our standards, game in and game out like the well-oiled Bielsaball machine we are, we absolutely cannot fail to survive.

I think we'll lose against Liverpool (and who expects us to win against one of the de-facto best teams in the world right now?) but the game against Fulham will be us beating a relegation battler, a contest we know we can win.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

18 year old Arsenal Striker Sam Greenwood announces he's leaving Arsenal mmmm wonder where he's going to turn up :duno:

https://motleedsnews.com/transfers/18y- ... ds-switch/
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning all.

Great to see a new first teamer on the verge of a move. I hope personal terms can be agreed.

With 9 days to go until the big KO how does our defence look?

Ayling in the middle alongside Cooper with Dallas at RB where he started last season or Strujk in the middle..
Definitely not as fluid as last season, and seeing Liverpool will play two strikers we really need three in there.

So please sign a first team CB as a priority Mr Orta. Kent can be enticed later if needed.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

Mykola Matviyenko anyone?

Ukranian International

CB who is a very capable LB, on the radar apparently. Were one of 5 PL teams interested at £20m .
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:08 am I’d rather the money be spent on another CB plus I don’t recall him setting the SPL (pub league) on fire so far
It's doesn't seem like we are concentrating our efforts recruiting defender, no problem as we are only playing in the prem this season :roll: :lol:

Only joking, I do think a CB is on the way, I personally would prefer two more CB's
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:34 am Morning all.

Great to see a new first teamer on the verge of a move. I hope personal terms can be agreed.

With 9 days to go until the big KO how does our defence look?

Ayling in the middle alongside Cooper with Dallas at RB where he started last season or Strujk in the middle..
Definitely not as fluid as last season, and seeing Liverpool will play two strikers we really need three in there.

So please sign a first team CB as a priority Mr Orta. Kent can be enticed later if needed.
Taking Ben out of our defence leaves us vulnerable right now!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:01 am Taking Ben out of our defence leaves us vulnerable right now!
Indeed and we dont even have Berra to cover
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

If and when we manage to get Koch, I think we need another centre Back. Hard and no nonsense.

I'd go after Vida, the Croatian International centre back with Basiktas

He'd be 6m euros

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Feels like Brighton have been deliberately wasting our time. 6 points off them, please.

Underwhelmed by Kent, personally, and can never warm to anyone in a Rangers shirt, but if Bielsa is keen, what do I know.

That JD sponsor is too big. Bigger than the prem badge and the Leeds badge. Looks wrong. Would put me off buying a shirt.

I doubt we'll be starting the season without a new cb. Hold your nerve, peeps.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th August)Leeds to test Rangers resolve with £15m offer for Kent

Post by Ratscoot »

According to Phil Hay Rodrigo is unlikely to play for us at Liverpool due to self isolating and International duty next week so it's Bambi upfront bet Van Dik isn't loosing too much sleep over that development

Definitely at least one CB in so be really happy if Koch joins but potentially same thing as Rodrigo with self isolation so hoping we get a UK based CB as well that is fit as apparently Chambers from Arsenal is out injured until January
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th August)Leeds to test Rangers resolve with £15m offer for Kent

Post by danhirons »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:34 am According to Phil Hay Rodrigo is unlikely to play for us at Liverpool due to self isolating and International duty next week so it's Bambi upfront bet Van Dik isn't loosing too much sleep over that development

Definitely at least one CB in so be really happy if Koch joins but potentially same thing as Rodrigo with self isolation so hoping we get a UK based CB as well that is fit as apparently Chambers from Arsenal is out injured until January
Fortunately. Don't think there's a self isolation rule between Germany and the UK. Also Re Rodrigo surely he can just get a Corona test and be ready to go?! Maybe not enough time...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

danhirons wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 am Fortunately. Don't think there's a self isolation rule between Germany and the UK. Also Re Rodrigo surely he can just get a Corona test and be ready to go?! Maybe not enough time...
Leeds have a recognised testing facility for corona
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:13 am Leeds have a recognised testing facility for corona
Does that tell you what flavour it is
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
apollo
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by apollo »

SaraM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:17 am Feels like Brighton have been deliberately wasting our time. 6 points off them, please.

Underwhelmed by Kent, personally, and can never warm to anyone in a Rangers shirt, but if Bielsa is keen, what do I know.

That JD sponsor is too big. Bigger than the prem badge and the Leeds badge. Looks wrong. Would put me off buying a shirt.

I doubt we'll be starting the season without a new cb. Hold your nerve, peeps.
Why is that?
Does that apply to all scottish clubs?
gessa

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:17 am

Agree
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Looking forward to see Rodrigo in action. Its a massive gamble financially for the club, so i solute them for that. We need him and i wish him all the best. £100kpw is a joke. Don't get me started on that.

Brighton are just playing silly games if you ask me. The player clearly wanted to come to a bigger club. Brighton have responded by saying they see us as a direct rival to play that down. 6 points please.

I thought Jim Davidson had retired years ago? I don't care where the extra money comes from to pay Rodrigo's wages. As long as there's enough money left to pay the cleaners and the canteen staff if it all goes tits-up.

As far as i am aware? The lad Kent says he wants to help Rangers to win a title up in Scotland. I say leave him to it.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Any more manufacturers logos, sponsors logos, names, numbers etc. and you won’t be able to tell what colour the shirt is supposed to be, still it all adds to the coffers doesn’t it.

I’ve said before that Hove and Brighton Wanderers (or whatever they’re name is) are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Feel quite sorry for Ben and I do hope their ridiculous stance comes back to bite them.

If Bielsa wants Kent then that’s alright with me but it’s a shame we didn’t pick him up last year for less than half the price!