A sign of the times

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

A sign of the times

Post by Chilli D »

So yesterday I got made redundant from my job, meaning for the first time for 28 years I am without work and only the second time since I left school in 1981.
Obviously I am one of many, many people who are in the same situation as a result of the pandemic and the effect it has had on the economy but it really hit home last night when I watched the BBC news and they reported that an engineering company in the Midlands advertised 10 jobs and had 15,000 applicants in 24 hours!
People who previously held management positions are applying for bar jobs and cashier jobs.
Worrying times indeed and with the furlough scheme due to end in October it is soon to get worse.
A sign of the times.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: A sign of the times

Post by HarryofOz »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am So yesterday I got made redundant from my job, meaning for the first time for 28 years I am without work and only the second time since I left school in 1981.
Obviously I am one of many, many people who are in the same situation as a result of the pandemic and the effect it has had on the economy but it really hit home last night when I watched the BBC news and they reported that an engineering company in the Midlands advertised 10 jobs and had 15,000 applicants in 24 hours!
People who previously held management positions are applying for bar jobs and cashier jobs.
Worrying times indeed and with the furlough scheme due to end in October it is soon to get worse.
A sign of the times.
Good luck Chilli. I hope you find something soon.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Chilli D wrote:
So yesterday I got made redundant from my job, meaning for the first time for 28 years I am without work and only the second time since I left school in 1981.
A sign of the times.
old son

You, and all the millions of others similarly affected, have my sincere sympathy mate.

Scary times caused by the way authorities have taken a dodgy course of action, leaving almost nobody with a satisfactory fallback.
A panicked, inadequately-planned recipe for disaster with thousands of companies going by the wayside and millions of people out of jobs and options. It's hard to see a suitable recovery.

As ever, the politicians who did all this will be OK.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Norm wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 am old son

You, and all the millions of others similarly affected, have my sincere sympathy mate.

Scary times caused by the way authorities have taken a dodgy course of action, leaving almost nobody with a satisfactory fallback.
A panicked, inadequately-planned recipe for disaster with thousands of companies going by the wayside and millions of people out of jobs and options. It's hard to see a suitable recovery.

Well hopefully we'll vote them out first possible chance.

Sorry to hear that Chilli, leaving school/college? in 81 would suggest you're around the same age as me. Even tougher past a certain age to find work. Early retirement not possible? That's what's kept us going, my partners Civil Service pension, she retired at 52.

I'm a self employed tradesman who had 7 jobs in the end "postponed". Fair chance a lot of those will have been done during lockdown by the customer him/herself and no one is ringing looking for wrk to be done

Have my first job starting 10th August, postponed in March (first job this year, January is always dead and February usually slow,) assuming they still go on holiday, if that changes I guess it gets postponed again. Heard nothing back from the other 6 though I know 2 are safe but just on hold til next year now.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

Sorry to hear that Chilli, we're hopefully back to as near normal as possible in September, earned nothing since 1st April. We have a job going atm for when we reopen, we normally get 8-12 applicants, so far we're up to 107 and the cv's are still arriving, many over qualified and looking for a stop gap.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Really sorry to hear that bad news Chilli, hope you find a job soon, keep your spirits up & good luck mate.

I count myself very lucky in what is a mess in these surreal times
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 am
Not a problem on their 100k + salaries, to be honest the majority of them have never had a proper job & certainly don't live in the real world
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

I don’t know you Chilli, but your post made me genuinely sad. I have three lads, one is working, one is in your position having just lost his job, the other is 15 and will be out looking for his first job in not too many years’ time. I’m not exactly confident there’ll be much around, and your message bought home that potentially anybody of any age can be affected in this way.

I really wish you all the very best of luck in your future endeavours. It’s not to everybody’s taste, but a very good friend of mine is a care nurse and often says those places are always desperate for people. Retraining is an option, and work is all but guaranteed at the end of it. Just a thought.

Good luck pal.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am So yesterday I got made redundant from my job, meaning for the first time for 28 years I am without work and only the second time since I left school in 1981.
A sign of the times.
Sorry to hear that Chilli. Sadly it’s like another virus and all of us are susceptible to it.

It happened to me during the last recession it was a huge shock to my system. Take the time to recover, then make getting your next job your new day to day job until it works out. Straighten your back, stick out the chin and go after it knowing you have more experience, and hence knowledge, than the vast majority of other candidates. You can’t buy that or do a course to for it.

Best of luck!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

That's a sh*t one, Chilli, sorry to hear that, mate. Hope you find something soon, whether a stop gap or in your trade. Good luck
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Really sorry to hear that Chilli. I really hope you get sorted out sooner rather than later

Easy to say I know, but try and keep positive 👍
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Very worrying for you mate, sorry to hear your news. Hope things pick up for us all soon.
There Is Only One United.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

So sorry to hear this, Chilli.

I hope things turn around for you quickly.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:18 am Well hopefully we'll vote them out first possible chance.

Sorry to hear that Chilli, leaving school/college? in 81 would suggest you're around the same age as me. Even tougher past a certain age to find work. Early retirement not possible? That's what's kept us going, my partners Civil Service pension, she retired at 52.

I'm a self employed tradesman who had 7 jobs in the end "postponed". Fair chance a lot of those will have been done during lockdown by the customer him/herself and no one is ringing looking for wrk to be done

Have my first job starting 10th August, postponed in March (first job this year, January is always dead and February usually slow,) assuming they still go on holiday, if that changes I guess it gets postponed again. Heard nothing back from the other 6 though I know 2 are safe but just on hold til next year now.
I'm 55 faaip, I left school aged 16.
Unfortunately early retirement isn't an option due to still having a bigger mortgage than I should have at my age.
On the plus side, when I took voluntary redundancy from my previous job last year I received a sizeable payout having worked there for 25 years and I still have most of it so I do have money to fall back on although it was supposed to be for my retirement.

I hope things pick up for you mate.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Thanks for all the messages guys, much appreciated.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

All the best going forward pal. Never nice to hear of people losing their jobs.
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Horrible to read these situations. Obviously the job market will be competitive for a while. Might I recommend those who find themselves redundant to maybe consider looking into the self employed route. Not easy but there’s a multitude of services you can offer. Always a market for couriers for example and not awful expensive to get into. Also various franchises can be worth looking into as they offer great startup advice. Just a thought
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:50 pm Thanks for all the messages guys, much appreciated.
Your welcome Chilli, we all feel for you mate
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:54 pm Horrible to read these situations. Obviously the job market will be competitive for a while. Might I recommend those who find themselves redundant to maybe consider looking into the self employed route. Not easy but there’s a multitude of services you can offer. Always a market for couriers for example and not awful expensive to get into. Also various franchises can be worth looking into as they offer great startup advice. Just a thought
So relieved I'm self-employed, as a employee jobs are precarious in these awful times

Great advice Eire :tup:
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

1964white wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:14 pm So relieved I'm self-employed, as a employee jobs are precarious in these awful times

Great advice Eire :tup:
Went the self employed route myself in 84. Had tough days of course but never had one day that I didn’t have work. Some days weren’t great paying but at least earning something all the time