Leeds Utd v Luton Town - MATCH THREAD

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Luton Town - MATCH THREAD

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 pm We were although i think Pablo's radar was a bit off and Ali imo made a bigger impact.

5 chances created for Ali, Roberts only created 1 as a 10, Harrison 2 and Costa 3.

Worried about Pablo, he isnt fully fit and probably shouldn't be playing.

His hammies are like cheese strings.
What does Roberts actually bring to the team? Never scores, never creates anything.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 pm We were although i think Pablo's radar was a bit off and Ali imo made a bigger impact.

5 chances created for Ali, Roberts only created 1 as a 10, Harrison 2 and Costa 3.

Worried about Pablo, he isnt fully fit and probably shouldn't be playing.

His hammies are like cheese strings.
Ali stood out, your man did well Cjay
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 pm Because Radz will have to admit Orta has failed, so he won't. How much money has he wasted on dreadful recruitment now? Yet we're still reliant on 35 yo Pablo and Dallas who was a Cellino signing!
Alot of cash!!!

The other thing though is Orta keeps buying players who dont fit the style or arent fit enough , i find that odd given he is a confessed fan of MB.

Nketiah, Costa (who MB publicly admitted was hindered by the style), Bamford (nobody who worked with him before said he could play as a lone striker) Douglas (a wing back in a back 3 whose weakness was defending and pace) Izzy Brown, JKA, Jamal Blackman, Lewis Baker etc.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:44 pm What does Roberts actually bring to the team? Never scores, never creates anything.
He had bright moments but he isnt creative enough for a 10 imo and he isnt clinical enough for a striker.

An odd one, not sure where he fits.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:44 pm What does Roberts actually bring to the team? Never scores, never creates anything.
I thought the same when our fans have raved about him, he better upfront as a striker imo!
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Tbf he hasn't had too much of an opportunity to show what he can do as a striker - those 2 quickfire goals against Hull after Bamford had drawn another blank gave some indication that he might make a decent striker.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 pm Tbf he hasn't had too much of an opportunity to show what he can do as a striker - those 2 quickfire goals against Hull after Bamford had drawn another blank gave some indication that he might make a decent striker.
Well took 2/3 pages but finally a reasonable post..well said.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tbf though Hull were 2-0 down and couldn't sit back as much.

Far easier to find room then.

Being a striker against a packed defence is extremely hard to do, you got to be very clever to find space and need very clever players to find you.

Neither Bamford or Roberts are natural goalscorers imo and dont have that instinct that natural goalscorers have.

Also without Pablo we dont have anyone who can unlock a packed defence so have to resort to tippy tappy side to side and eventually cross.

Roberts had bright moments today though but lacks key attributes needed to play both as a 10 or a 9 imho.

Paddy is the same.
Signed

King Cjay

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 pm I thought the same when our fans have raved about him, he better upfront as a striker imo!
Has to start up top against Blackburn
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 pm Tbf though Hull were 2-0 down and couldn't sit back as much.

Being a striker against a packed defence is extremely hard to do, you got to be very clever to find space and need very clever players to find you.

Neither Bamford or Roberts are natural goalscorers imo and dont have that instinct that natural goalscorers have.

Also without Pablo we dont have anyone who can unlock a packed defence so have to resort to tippy tappy side to side and eventually cross.

Roberts had bright moments today though but lacks key attributes needed to play both as a 10 or a 9 imho.

Paddy is the same.
Roberts needs a run of games in a position so he can settle. I think he sees himself as a striker
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

dezzy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 pm Roberts needs a run of games in a position so he can settle. I think he sees himself as a striker
He is able to beat a man, has a trick or two so maybe that may be an advantage he has that Paddy doesnt?

Personally despite my doubts on Tyler i agree with you on Blackburn.

Id like to see Ian as a 10 to for the same reason.

He looks like he has a trick or two and that may unlock a packed defence.

We cant keep dicking about passing side to side until Pablo comes on to give us some creativity in the middle :(
Signed

King Cjay

Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Or just maybe, we should have kept hold of Roofe.
hector

Post by hector »

Just read this thread as was busy last night...

Jeez (sarcastic head now coming on) what a crock of s**t Leeds are.... I mean.....

It is not as though We have improved our lead at the top in the last 3 games to now being 4 points clear.....
It is not as though we have played 1/3 of the games we had left to play....
It is not as though WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE...

OH wait a minute

(sarcastic head off)

Anyone reading the majority of the previous posts would think that we are in a relegation battle..

Yes there are lots of things that need improvement, but thre is no need to act like it is the end of the world yet.......
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LUFC_BOS »

Ok folks, time to calm down, if we are good enough we will endure and go up. Am ambivlolent about our fans rehotoric, have lived enough of this over 51+ years of supporting our beloved team. This is not a time to push the panic button,there is self belief in this team, if we continue to gain points from any game will give us a good chance as any.

Please beleive in our Coach and team.

MOT
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Bad day at the office said before don't win enough games and you don't deserve promotion. Just have to wait and see. We haven't been up to much since the restart, even against Fulham we weren't any great shakes.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 pm Is he definitely going back then?
Well, no-one is saying.

Personally I would keep him.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Working last night so only watched the highlights. What was Bamford and then Costa doing trying to head the ball? Bamford just fell over as tho his legs went from under him, and Costa looked like he didn't want to mess his hair up. Poor efforts for professional footballers at any level. Its no wonder we can only score on the break and never from a corner.

4 points from 9 after the restart. I would have expected 6 but the lads have got to keep goin. We all were excited to see what Big Kev could bring to the party, its turned out to be another farce with a unfit player. I have said it before, we must be the only team that recruits players to get them fit. It's looking like another failed gamble at a time when we needed someone to slot straight in. Lesson for Orta. When a club tells you the player you inquire about is not going anywhere, (Che Adams) its time to go to plan b earlier.

We go again in our next cup final against a team that's lost their last 2.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

hector wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:09 am Just read this thread as was busy last night...

Jeez (sarcastic head now coming on) what a crock of s**t Leeds are.... I mean.....

It is not as though We have improved our lead at the top in the last 3 games to now being 4 points clear.....
It is not as though we have played 1/3 of the games we had left to play....
It is not as though WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE...

OH wait a minute

(sarcastic head off)

Anyone reading the majority of the previous posts would think that we are in a relegation battle..

Yes there are lots of things that need improvement, but there is no need to act like it is the end of the world yet.......
Thank god for you Hector, left to our own devices we were all over indulging in despair last night. Need the counter balance of some
calm heads, realism and positivity to keep us above water!
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 pm Tbf though Hull were 2-0 down and couldn't sit back as much.

Paddy is the same.
Both Bamford and Costa missed sitters after excellent wing play - so it's not as though there were no opportunities with the packed defence. I would sooner see Roberts given the no 9 shirt in the final 6 games - there's just no way that he would have missed that late header the way Bamford did after such a superb cross from Harrison. If Hernandez is not fit to play as no 10 for 90 mins is there nobody else in the squad that can rotate with him in that position ? Oh, I forgot - Izzy Brown's loan came to an end....

I fear that if Bielsa ultimately fails to take us up and leaves the club, the subseqent post mortem will focus mainly on why Bielsa had such unshakeable faith for so long in Bamford. Has Bamford got one of Bielsa's relatives held hostage somewhere ?

Personally speaking, whichever division we end up in I want Bamford, Costa and Orta to be shown the door in the summer. Orta cannot be allowed to keep damaging the club with his weird loan signings such as Izzy Brown and now Augustin. Costa will be a total waste of 15m. People already knew at his previous clubs that Bamford isn't capable of being a lone striker - so why did Orta go for him ?
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Slept (badly) on it, and not feeling much better in the murky light of day.

Not criticising particular players or decisions, just very wary of the fates and the gods of football. If we miss out from the position we're in now then it's time to revisit the curse and have the whole club exorcised.