The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 29th June) Devastating second half display destroys Fulham

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 29th June) Devastating second half display destroys Fulham

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 29th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Devastating second half display destroys Fulham

Leeds returned to the top of the Championship in style with a convincing 3-0 victory over fellow promotion hopefuls Fulham.

Things could have been a lot different for the West London Club had Scott Parkers men taken their opportunities in the first half. The Cottagers were largely dominant for the first 45 minutes with Leeds on the back foot for the first time this season. Bielsa's men were having to face a dose of their own medicine having put so many teams under the cosh with wave after wave of strategic attacks on goal.

Not only did the Whites batten down the hatches, but they actually took and maintained a half time lead. Costa broke free on the right wing, and squared the ball to Bamford on the edge of the 18 yard box. The former Chelsea recruit drilled the ball past the helpless Rodak. The gaffer decided to make two changes at the break, bringing on Alioski and Hernandez for Bamford and Costa. Instantly the tide had changed, the silky smooth skills of Hernandez and energy levels of Alioski, Leeds slowly began to dominate.

Alioski doubled the lead ten minutes after the break when Harrison broke free down the right wing. The on loan Citeh winger cut the ball back through a crowded penalty area where the Macedonian International took a touch before finding the right side corner of the net. Harrison went from Supplier to goal scorer for Leeds third. A sublime flick from master magician Hernandez sent Harrison on his way, and although the 23yo had both a defender and keeper to contend with, was able to to poke the ball hope from an acute angle.

Bielsa post match press conference

The gaffer spoke of his delight with the second half performance at the weekend, expressing how important the three points are.

Mitrovic faces ban for elbow on White

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic was lucky to escape a red card after a shocking elbow on Ben White after just 90 seconds. Fortunately for Fulham, referee Tony Harrington did not see the incident, otherwise they would have had to play almost the entire match without the divisions top scorer and ten men. Mitrovic needlessly elbowed Ben White in the face sending the Brighton loanee sprawling on the floor in agony

Regarding incidents of this kind where the referee has missed the action, the FA /EFL are permitted to take retrospective action against the Serbian International. What should be his punishment?

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 29th June) Devastating second half display destroys Fulham

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

In retrospect 8-) Mitro staying on the pitch on Dat worked in our favour.
A backs to the wall hit them on the break Fulham would have been a tough prospect.

Now he can miss the next three and we can enjoy Fulham "do a Leeds" and drop out of the playoffs....

As has already been mentioned, Bielsa showed his quality in the changes he made at HT.

I had Pablo coming on for Klich and maybe Shacks and maybe a change at LB as Dallas was being given a tough time by Knockheart. I'll stick to FM.

Btw during the furlough I bough FM 20 and when we played Fulham we won 3-0 with Pablo and Bamford on tbe scoresheet.

We win promotion on the final game of the season needing to beat Charlton by more than QPR beat WBA. QPR lose and we go up along with Fulham who are champions.

I was going to do a piece on my first sesson as Marcelo McNuke a 28yo unknown Irishman who had to win over the dressing room.

In short I had to off Alioski early on as he was a troublemaker.
Douglas was outrageous with his FCs
Bamford scored 18
JKA did Ok
Costa was immense.
Harrison was dropped before Xmas and rarely used.
Oh and Fm hated Dallas no matter where he played :lol:

Home to Luton does not end well.... :shock:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 29th June) Devastating second half display destroys Fulham

Post by rrfierce »

We only got 7 points from the last 7 games last season - 1 from the last possible 12.

As long as we don't do that we should be ok.

I reckon 4 wins and we're there.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

rrfierce wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:39 am We only got 7 points from the last 7 games last season - 1 from the last possible 12.

We must not underestimate Luton tomorrow.
They've played play off contenders Preston and Swansea since the re-start and taken 4 points.
But as long as we play well we should be okay.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

I’m slightly concerned about Luton and Izzy Brown tomorrow.
We’ve been quite nervous in both games since the restart (fortunately, for once, the finishing against Fulham was spot on)
I’m just hoping the win calms us down and it doesn’t turn into another Wigan 🤞
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Finnatic wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 am I’m slightly concerned about Luton and Izzy Brown tomorrow.
We’ve been quite nervous in both games since the restart (fortunately, for once, the finishing against Fulham was spot on)
I’m just hoping the win calms us down and it doesn’t turn into another Wigan 🤞
I'm concerned about every team we play but that concern is not specific to the opposition but always because we are capable of losing to anyone if we don't take our chances and/or make mistakes like we did against Cardiff. No team that has beaten us has beaten us because they were simply a better team or outplayed us
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions

98% promoted and 81% Champions.

Brentford on the charge.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

rrfierce wrote:We only got 7 points from the last 7 games last season - 1 from the last possible 12.

Yep, win the home games and we're basically up but any 4 wins will do .

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I am usually nervous when I watch Leeds play and was certainly on edge watching the 1st half against Fulham, even though we were a goal up they were certainly the more threatening side and looked to have the beating of us. As soon as the 2nd half got underway the momentum immediately changed, Leeds were back to their dominant self and I found myself able to watch with complete serenity.
Bielsa could see exactly what was required to change the game and was not afraid to take off the provider and the scorer of the goal to effect that required change - genius!

To overtake us now Brentford would have to win 3 more games than us and Fulham would have to win 4 more. With only 7 games left that is a very tall order indeed, we’re almost there folks 👍🏻
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:19 am Morning folks.

In retrospect 8-) Mitro staying on the pitch on Dat worked in our favour.
A backs to the wall hit them on the break Fulham would have been a tough prospect.

Now he can miss the next three and we can enjoy Fulham "do a Leeds" and drop out of the playoffs....
Indeed. Mitrovic has 23 of the 52 Fulham goals this year. Hard to see where goals are going to come from with him out of the lineup.

As my old academic adviser would say, f*** 'em.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

weasel wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:54 am I'm concerned about every team we play but that concern is not specific to the opposition but always because we are capable of losing to anyone if we don't take our chances and/or make mistakes like we did against Cardiff. No team that has beaten us has beaten us because they were simply a better team or outplayed us
Yes, it’s not Luton themselves, it’s us I’m scared of 😉
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We've played all our games in London

We've played our 4 games v bogie sides Cardiff & Sheff Wed.

We've played all our games v the top six

We have four of the bottom seven to play all at ER

I wouldn't swop our run-in of games with anyone

We're going up this time folks, no worries
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:41 pm We've played all our games in London

We've played our 4 games v bogie sides Cardiff & Sheff Wed.

We've played all our games v the top six

We have four of the bottom seven to play all at ER

I wouldn't swop our run-in of games with anyone

We're going up this time folks, no worries
Every team we have left to play has something to play for:
Derby, Swansea and Blackburn - the play offs
Stoke, Luton, Barnsley and Charlton - avoiding relegation
So seven tough games if you ask me.
But all winnable.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
hector

Post by hector »

If they have something to play for, then they are not gonna be inclined to park the bus....

Should suit us better.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:41 pm If they have something to play for, then they are not gonna be inclined to park the bus....

Should suit us better.
Indeed :tup: 2 wins & 5 draws would be enough imo!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Chilli D wrote: Every team we have left to play has something to play for:
Derby, Swansea and Blackburn - the play offs
Stoke, Luton, Barnsley and Charlton - avoiding relegation
So seven tough games if you ask me.
But all winnable.
Yes but the good thing is it may stop them parking the bus instead of going out to get 3 PTS.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk