Cheaters

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Cheaters

Post by BobHirst »

Man City banned from Champions League for 2 years and fined 30 million Euros.
Sheffield Wednesday reportedly under pressure from other Championship clubs to be punished with points deduction.
With all the jumping through hoops we seem to go to, to prevent violating the rules, I'm glad that other teams are being held accountable (maybe).
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Cheaters

Post by Sara »

Be awesome if Wednesday and Derby went down after a points deduction. Get the impression that Chansiri is just inept, but Morris is a two faced ba***rd.
Stan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Stan »

I'm of the opinion if you have or can obtain the money by legal means then you are free to spend and lose as you wish. Be prepared to reap the rewards of success or take the consequences financially if it does not work out, same as any other walk of life or business.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

It will go to arbitration, uefa brought the case, had the trial, found them guilty and dished out punishment. Cheating should be punished but uefa like fifa hardly clean :)
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Stan wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:30 pm I'm of the opinion if you have or can obtain the money by legal means then you are free to spend and lose as you wish. Be prepared to reap the rewards of success or take the consequences financially if it does not work out, same as any other walk of life or business.
I agree with your statement however that's not what the current financial 'rules' are. We appear to try to abide by the current rules and it really pisses me off that teams such as Derby (very vocal to have us punished for watching them from public footpath) seem to get away with it.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Stan wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:30 pm I'm of the opinion if you have or can obtain the money by legal means then you are free to spend and lose as you wish. Be prepared to reap the rewards of success or take the consequences financially if it does not work out, same as any other walk of life or business.
The purpose of sport is supposed to be entertainment through fair competition, not financial profit for already obscenely wealthy individuals, or image manipulation by inhumane governments.

I don't see why market fundamentalism should be allowed to ruin sport any more than it is doing already.
Stan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Stan »

Agree you need to keep within the rules and if they have signed up to these and breached then punishment is fair game, just think the rules need to encourage free enterprise and risk is fundemental to all other business's decissions in life. Guess I just can't get my head around the rules. Agree some clubs seem more immune to the rules but I guess thats why they will employ good lawyers and experts in regulations to manipulate things. I'm sure Man City won't be short in that department and will be OK. Personally I hope so as its good to see the cream of talent on show in this country and keep their neighbours in the shadows!
Stan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Stan »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 pm The purpose of sport is supposed to be entertainment through fair competition, not financial profit for already obscenely wealthy individuals, or image manipulation by inhumane governments.

I don't see why market fundamentalism should be allowed to ruin sport any more than it is doing already.
Its a nice idealism but I fear things have moved on. Football is a commodity and people will either benefit or ultimately suffer in the event of mismanagement from owners we will need to trust in, same as any other business. I'm sure the vast majority of our clubs fans and employees would be ecstatic if QSI came in and invested billions and success returned. Agree it would be great with local youth and minimal investment but not likely to be a reality in this day and age.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

I agree to an extent, but profit and sustainability rules are there to ensure a club is sustainable once an owner leaves. Fine having the largest wage bill in the Championship but if your main source of cash walks out where does that leave you? A lot of owners also don’t actually invest the money in the club the loan it to them so when they sell up or walk away they get that money back.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We'd have been banned for five years
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Stan wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm Its a nice idealism but I fear things have moved on. Football is a commodity and people will either benefit or ultimately suffer in the event of mismanagement from owners we will need to trust in, same as any other business. I'm sure the vast majority of our clubs fans and employees would be ecstatic if QSI came in and invested billions and success returned. Agree it would be great with local youth and minimal investment but not likely to be a reality in this day and age.
Insofar as we accept the idea that football is a business selling a product then we, as fans, are complicit to some degree. We've simply swallowed the ideology that the market is somehow a natural state of affairs, and there is no other way to organise things. This isn't pragmatism, it's capitulation. We need to resist it wherever we can imo.
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 pm Insofar as we accept the idea that football is a business selling a product then we, as fans, are complicit to some degree. We've simply swallowed the ideology that the market is somehow a natural state of affairs, and there is no other way to organise things. This isn't pragmatism, it's capitulation. We need to resist it wherever we can imo.
Which is exactly the reason I love to pop down to watch Bognor Regis in non-league action. Well worth a three-hour drive from home; cleanses the soul somewhat from what football has become at the upper echelons of the beautiful game.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

So the ugly spectre of the Blunts playing in the CL next season raises its ugly head.

While we are stuck with the same crowd of never do wells from last season.....
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:52 pm So the ugly spectre of the Blunts playing in the CL next season raises its ugly head.

While we are stuck with the same crowd of never do wells from last season.....
Massive incentive for the Blunts

Amazing what Wilder has achieved in such a short space of time
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Denman wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:42 pm Which is exactly the reason I love to pop down to watch Bognor Regis in non-league action. Well worth a three-hour drive from home; cleanses the soul somewhat from what football has become at the upper echelons of the beautiful game.
Bogner Regis!

Wirksworth Ivanhoe are my non-league team.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 pm Massive incentive for the Blunts

Amazing what Wilder has achieved in such a short space of time
Billy Sharp in the San Siro.

A mouth watering prospect.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

1964white wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 pm We'd have been banned for five years
Now now 64 :lol:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

They are going to appeal. I think that the fine will be reduced and the ban will become a suspended ban.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Most walks of life or business have rules and regulations that must be abided with. Insufficient regulation can - and has - led to exploitation and abuse, even when it has been legal.

Regulation is required in life because so many people are greedy and selfish.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

...and stupid