Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Bamford & Douglas Start

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Bamford & Douglas Start

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:25 pm Certainly improved his end product Jack (still could be better imo) but much better then last season.

Don't believe for a second he is scoring 1 goal every 4.5 shots though.

Infogol have it down as 23 shots in the league? No chance, that's less then 1 per game and he had 4 shots today alone.

Goal scoring cm, erm Cairney maybe?
Problem is you can't pick and choose what stats to believe, which makes most stats useless and inaccurate. I don't for a second believe Bamford only has 70 shots which is 3 a game. It's closer to double that imo than not..

6 goals in 21 shots for Cairney...a bit better than Jack right now.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

To get accurate stats you probably need to watch the game through 2 or 3 times. Pause for every pass tackle and shot ..identify the player and note it down. That would take around a day for 1 person, add more collators and the data gets more confusing...My guess is they watch through once, maybe at the time, miss about 25% of the game, get a figure or two and call it a stat which everyone then considers fact..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

Stopped taking any notice of stats more or less as soon as they started doing them. Opta had Batty making 4 tackles in a game against Boro, he made more than that in the first 15 minutes, then I knew they were pretty pointless and more worrying inaccurate.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 pm Problem is you can't pick and choose what stats to believe, which makes most stats useless and inaccurate. I don't for a second believe Bamford only has 70 shots which is 3 a game. It's closer to double that imo than not..

6 goals in 21 shots for Cairney...a bit better than Jack right now.
WhoScored use Opta who are regarded as the most accurate statistical and data company in the world, that's why I prefer to use them over anyone else because I trust Opta to be accurate.

Infogol I think do it themselves.

You cant pick and choose what stats to believe I agree, but you can pick and choose which company you think is more accurate.

Each to their own :)

Not that important really, if it mattered that much id go and re read every live text match report and do some counting up :lol:

I think the whole side is very wasteful including Klich, Harrison and Paddy.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Bet Bielsa has a few Excel files Opta would love
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Cjay wrote:The facts make bad reading for a lot of the players.

Championship stats.
Bamford 1 goal per 8 shots
Klich 1 goal per 17 shots
Dallas 1 goal per 16 shots
Alioski 1 goal per 10 shots
Harrison 1 goal per 8 shots
Hernandez 1 goal per 12 shots
Costa 1 goal per 10 shots
Forshaw no goals 13 shots
KP 1 goal 12 shots
Ayling 1 goal 12 shots
Cooper and White no goals 11 and 10 shots
Tyler Roberts 1 goal 11 shots

Its really bad as a collective.
Let's not sit on the fence...it's f****** diabolical and proves these players are sooo very poor individually . We are in top 2 for one reason only...our defence and that now is cracking all over the place. For sure now the players will be bricking it and praying that last season isn't coming back to haunt them, we'll see if they're now good enough to deal with it all again. Wigan soon ! Image

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Was pre occupied over the past number of days and hadn’t given today’s game a seconds thought.
Worrying result, makes the table look a lot less pretty from a Leeds perspective. We need to get those two attacking players through the door quickly, if nothing else but to freshen things up. Things just haven’t clicked for us over the past few weeks, QPR now really is a massive game
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:13 pm I agree with this 100% :tup:
And I agree as well hector. faaip is absolutely spot on I'm afraid
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Harrison has one of the best first touches I’ve ever seen at any level but six yards out, middle of the goal, gets great contact on it just hits it wide and I still don't get how
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Since Dallas vacated the LWB position clean sheets have gone out with the washing, defensively we were much more tighter at the back with Dallas playing in either wing-back position.

There was no reason why Dallas should not have started there yesterday or moved into that role with our first substitution. Bielsa got it all wrong & once again done by Garry Monk FFS.

Dallas was f**ked at the end of the game so it looks like we are stuck with Douglas or Alioski in that role. Personally I prefer Leif Davis but that's not gonna happen. God help us in that position over the next few months.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

We are much more solid with Dallas in either wing back position. When he replaced Ayling on the right earlier in the season he grew into the role and was playing as good as ever since being at the club but as soon as Ayling was fit Dallas was moved and he's not been the same. MIDFIELD IS NOT HIS POSITION BIELSA !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

Well, I wanted to sleep on that performance before commenting. Although we had been misfiring a little over the past few games, i wasn't that worried as we were still playing good football, which in the end will take us to where we want to be. However, having watched the stream yesterday, we looked washed out. Like a bright t-shirt that's been in the wash too many times. So I am now worried. If it's in our heads, it will be in the players and managements heads. That's going to further affect performances. The ideal would be to string a couple of wins together to get momentum back, but what's the chances of that with last season's exploits coming to the fore in the players minds? It was not nice to hear the Sheffield fans singing "Leeds are falling apart again".

Time for management at all levels to step up now. At least this is the month we can do something about it. Paddy is clearly misfiring, for all his effort up and down the pitch. And you have to feel sorry for him in a way because it's the lack of height in our defence that forces him to come back to the goal line whenever the opponents have a set-piece opportunity. How is a lightning breakaway goal going to happen when he is so far back? That said, he is missing opportunites (as are other players who should be chipping in with goals) so let's get into the transfer market to freshen up our attack. This collapse could have occurred in February, when there would have been no alternative but to soldier on. It hasn't. It's time to grasp the nettle and not repeat the mistakes of last year.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think MB has been treading water hoping to get whatever he could till he could get Pablo back in the line up. I think he starts next week which forces Dallas back to left back or the bench
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:37 am I think MB has been treading water hoping to get whatever he could till he could get Pablo back in the line up. I think he starts next week which forces Dallas back to left back or the bench
I doubt Dallas will be fit, he looked badly injured at the end of the game
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd forgotten that tbf...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Well that didn't go as we hoped for :(

Said to my Leeds pals around me with 25 minutes to go "I'd take a draw" which sounds a daft thing to say when we are playing at ER.

Positives

We were in control in the first half even though we lacked urgency.
We created good chances.
Kalvin Phillips.
Jack Harrison sublime control at times.
Hernandez is back!

Negatives

Missed chances, how many did we sky wide or over the bar.
Bamford powder-puff shooting & appalling headers.
Harrison miss from six yards, an open goal.
Costa so poor.
Casilla beaten at his near post.
Cooper & Alioski also caught out for the Owls first goal.
Ayling done by Reach who finds Nuhiu with three defenders around him ball watching
Beilsa's team selection.
Why play Dallas in midfield, surely Pablo & Shackleton could have mustered 45 minutes each.
Clean sheets gone out with the washing since Dallas vacated his wing-back role.
Dallas should have gone to LB if that change was necessary
Bielsa's substitutions
Alioski on for Douglas....really !
Alioski is not a defender, caught out of position three times in the 35 minutes he was on, hasn't got the positional sense to play that role.
Why bring on a 19 yo kid who is wet behind the ears & is clearly not ready for championship football.
Owls have two strikers on the bench, one that gave us hell at Hillsborough & punished us yesterday.
We have no alternative upfront.
Dallas looked crocked at the end.
First defeat at ER since August v Swansea.

Ratings

4 Casilla
6 Ayling
7 White
6 Cooper
6 Douglas
8 Phillips MOTM
5 Costa
5 Dallas
6 Klich
7 Harrison
5 Bamford
Subs
5 Hernandez
4 Alioski
5 Stevens
gessa

Post by gessa »

Well what can you say about that performance, disjointed is one of the kinder words,even so we should have been 3 up by the hour, even though I haven't seen it back Bamford's second chance looked a push and a penalty, Sheff Wed were a poor team, which makes it even worse, they worked hard and most of any of their chances was created by us giving the ball away far to often.

Kiko - 5- We're now seeing the Kiko of old, which is not good, he had very little to do but his distribution, what he is acclaimed for was poor yesterday and for some reason very slow at getting the ball away. Should never have been beaten at the near post for the first goal, very poor keeping.

Ayling-6 Another mixture of the good and the bad from Ayling, part of his problem for me is his passion, his will to win,when he gets forward he forgets he is a defender too, which causes holes defensively

Cooper- 6 Same as Ayling, what frustrates is his poor play on the simple things, once yesterday he took the ball down, left their forward for dead with his touch, carried it forward with nice tight control, only to whack it out wide to the right straight to a defender, he'd done the hard work.

White - 7 I thought it was a better performance than his league games since Boro, was partly at fault for the second but did well otherwise, some great interceptions, reads the game well.

Douglas 5 Had a decent first half an hour but hasn't the pace to get back and his passing wasn't as good as it should be, which we were told was one of his stronger points

Phillips - 8 Battled all game, looked weaker when Klich went off, having to cover more ground, which left him out of position a couple of times.

Dallas- 5 - Like the lad but he's no CM player, lost possession a few times with taking the wrong option on the pass.

Klich 7.5 Most of what we created came from him, he wasn't offside for the disallowed goal, we looked a lot worse when he was bewilderingly substituted

Costa 3 He just doesn't do it for me, he's weak, gets taken off the ball far too easily, can't tackle, he marks his defender, never seems to look for space to lose his man, he's been a real disappointment, hopefully Shackleton will be fully fit soon and is given the position

Harrison 7- Has a lovely first touch but lets himself down at times with the final ball, should have scored, first half especially he was finding himself plenty of space only not to get the ball, must have been very frustrating for him.

Bamford 5 Feel sorry for him, imo he's being asked to do too much, he doesn't stop running, asked to get back to cover corners up and down a lot, always chasing, he should have buried the chance from the one good thing Costa did , his second chance he was fouled, noticed from my lofty position yesterday how often he tried to lose his marker, pointing to where he wanted the ball putting but not getting the pass, you could see the frustration on his face. He needs more help, not a signing i was excited about but I will never slag a player who puts in the effort and he certainly does that, his natural game is not the one we play. Infact, I'd say there are few around who could play for 90 minutes the way we want a striker to play.

Subs

Alioski 2 - Woeful performance both offensively and defensively
Hernandez 6. Tried hard to motivate and played some nice passes out wide only for them to come to nothing. Looked a little off the pace but to be expected.
Stevens 3 from the few cameo displays he doesn't look ready to me.

Poor substitutions from Bielsa yesterday, non made sense.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:06 pm Well what can you say about that performance, disjointed is one of the kinder words,even so we should have been 3 up by the hour, even though I haven't seen it back Bamford's second chance looked a push and a penalty, Sheff Wed were a poor team, which makes it even worse, they worked hard and most of any of their chances was created by us giving the ball away far to often.

Kiko - 5- We're now seeing the Kiko of old, which is not good, he had very little to do but his distribution, what he is acclaimed for was poor yesterday and for some reason very slow at getting the ball away. Should never have been beaten at the near post for the first goal, very poor keeping.

Ayling-6 Another mixture of the good and the bad from Ayling, part of his problem for me is his passion, his will to win,when he gets forward he forgets he is a defender too, which causes holes defensively

Cooper- 6 Same as Ayling, what frustrates is his poor play on the simple things, once yesterday he took the ball down, left their forward for dead with his touch, carried it forward with nice tight control, only to whack it out wide to the right straight to a defender, he'd done the hard work.

White - 7 I thought it was a better performance than his league games since Boro, was partly at fault for the second but did well otherwise, some great interceptions, reads the game well.

Douglas 5 Had a decent first half an hour but hasn't the pace to get back and his passing wasn't as good as it should be, which we were told was one of his stronger points

Phillips - 8 Battled all game, looked weaker when Klich went off, having to cover more ground, which left him out of position a couple of times.

Dallas- 5 - Like the lad but he's no CM player, lost possession a few times with taking the wrong option on the pass.

Klich 7.5 Most of what we created came from him, he wasn't offside for the disallowed goal, we looked a lot worse when he was bewilderingly substituted

Costa 3 He just doesn't do it for me, he's weak, gets taken off the ball far too easily, can't tackle, he marks his defender, never seems to look for space to lose his man, he's been a real disappointment, hopefully Shackleton will be fully fit soon and is given the position

Harrison 7- Has a lovely first touch but lets himself down at times with the final ball, should have scored, first half especially he was finding himself plenty of space only not to get the ball, must have been very frustrating for him.

Bamford 5 Feel sorry for him, imo he's being asked to do too much, he doesn't stop running, asked to get back to cover corners up and down a lot, always chasing, he should have buried the chance from the one good thing Costa did , his second chance he was fouled, noticed from my lofty position yesterday how often he tried to lose his marker, pointing to where he wanted the ball putting but not getting the pass, you could see the frustration on his face. He needs more help, not a signing i was excited about but I will never slag a player who puts in the effort and he certainly does that, his natural game is not the one we play. Infact, I'd say there are few around who could play for 90 minutes the way we want a striker to play.

Subs

Alioski 2 - Woeful performance both offensively and defensively
Hernandez 6. Tried hard to motivate and played some nice passes out wide only for them to come to nothing. Looked a little off the pace but to be expected.
Stevens 3 from the few cameo displays he doesn't look ready to me.

Poor substitutions from Bielsa yesterday, non made sense.
Can't argue with any of that mate :tup:

If Bielsa plays Alioski at LWB again I'm gonna do a Bonnie Langford.....I'll scream I'll scream I'll scream

As for Cooper, he ran much better in the 3.00 race at Warwick yesterday :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ironically Bamford heads the ball in the net & it's disallowed

Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 13.20.34.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:06 pm Well what can you say about that performance, disjointed is one of the kinder words,even so we should have been 3 up by the hour, even though I haven't seen it back Bamford's second chance looked a push and a penalty, Sheff Wed were a poor team, which makes it even worse, they worked hard and most of any of their chances was created by us giving the ball away far to often.
Our match analysis & ratings are almost identical mate