Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Bielsa takes on the Premier League

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Bielsa takes on the Premier League

Post by SG90 »

Typical Leeds game really. Don't take our chances and then scuffed lucky goal goes in. Still can't really complain, we don't have the squad for a cup run and we have a good account of ourselves. Meslier, Harrison, Klich and KP all had good games. '64 must be buzzing KP having a good game against top 6 opposition. Hopefully Ayling is fine. Bamford needs to stop being so greedy when others are in a good position.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Scum fan ref was never going to give us anything, but Xhaka and Lacazette would have been off if they were wearing Leeds shirts.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier - 8 - Good debut versus a team a cut above anything in our division and that's putting it mildly
Ayling - 9 - Thought he was a real force going forward and part of a backs to the wall defensive dispaly
White - 9 - Yeah he's prem quality, not ours but premier bound
Berardi - 8 - Stuck to his job manfully, get's stuck in and doesn't back down.
Douglas - 7 - Good game, always there for the pass, a good championship footballer
Phillips - 9 - Outstanding performance, had their main threat in his pocket most of the game
Klich - 9 - Quality off the ball, and Quality on it. Seldom a foot wrong
Gotts - 6.5 - Decent first outing and he flashed ability which is all I needed to see..
Alioski - 8 - Unlucky to come off I thought, we missed him making a nuisance of himself all the time
Harrison - 10 MOTM - Ripped them to shreds frst half, unlucky not to score even unluckier not to have had an assist or two. One of our better defenders in the second, just got caught up in his own feet late on
Bamford - 6.5 - Worked hard, not a lot of quality compared to the rest of the team for me. It is only me I know but I don't get the appeal

Costa - 6 - Not his day, looked off the pace. Maybe should have started when we had more space and Alio on on the hour mark. Think that would have been the right way round. Tough game to get into for a forward player off the bench
Dallas - 7 - Gotts was settling I thought when he got taken off, but I guess Stuart can get you a goal from nothing and we were chasing
Stevens - 6.5 - Nice little cameo
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:31 pm Typical Leeds game really. Don't take our chances and then scuffed lucky goal goes in. Still can't really complain, we don't have the squad for a cup run and we have a good account of ourselves. Meslier, Harrison, Klich and KP all had good games. '64 must be buzzing KP having a good game against top 6 opposition. Hopefully Ayling is fine. Bamford needs to stop being so greedy when others are in a good position.
Of course I'm buzzing SG :lol:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Sounds like a great performance. Plenty of praise from pundits and other fans.

Well done Bielsa and the boys

Bielsa ball
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Norm wrote:

I have mixed feeling '63, but as long as we try our best and really commit to winning I'll be happy. Then, if we do get beat we go out with honour. If we do get through, more strength to us, because we're gonna need it. Already we have a fixture list from hell for such a small squad - I don't think MB planned for the cup.
We really did well and tried our best, which was only just not quite enough, but the Leeds United name has been enhanced and I'm happy with the outcome.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Norm wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:36 am We really did well and tried our best, which was only just not quite enough, but the Leeds United name has been enhanced and I'm happy with the outcome.
Spot on Norm. I hate it when we lose, but my rational head says that it is probably better that we did.

And we certainly enhanced our reputations as a fine football team.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Stevens looks pretty good apart from his first touch.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Certainly a lot of positives last night. First half brilliant and if we'd taken our chances then my 4-0 / 4-1 prediction could well have come true. Sometimes very hard to replicate a good first half as the opposition will obviously make changes to how they have played whereas because you've played well the only real message is to keep it going, you can't really make changes based on how you expect the opposition to change. Arsenal also had the better individual players so once a few of them start to play well it is always going to be a lot harder - Arsenal had several players on the pitch that would cost more to buy than it would cost to buy Leeds United (the club, stadium, players etc) from Radrizanni.

As it is it gives me great hope that we'd comfortably survive in the premiership. A small injection of quality is needed not major surgery.

The referee was atrocious. I had hopes that VR would help level the playing field for us after the countless injustices we have suffered over the years however it won't help if we get referees as bad as Taylor as he can simply avoid booking opposition players and VR is powerless to change that. Then when VR comes in Lazazette is allowed to kick a Leeds player and not even get booked. Noticeable that when it was a possible decision against Leeds VR seemed to take an age to look at everything yet when it was a potential decision for Leeds it was decided in a flash.

Noticeable that Harrison continues to improve. He is now getting more power into his shots which is great to see, when he can start to place the shots better, but with the power too, he is a player that could be getting 15 to 20 goals a season and that really is what is needed from each of the wide players in this formation.

At the end of the day though it is probably the perfect result. We didn't need a cup run but equally we didn't want to be embarrassed. The players have shown they can compete with decent premiership opposition so should gain confidence and Messlier looks like he is a keeper with good potential to possibly be the long term Leeds keeper and step in short term if Kiko does get banned.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Absolutely shattered at work right now, got home at 2am but it was worth it for that truly magnificent first half. Seldom have I seen a Leeds United side, after over 30 years of support, outplay (so called) superior opponents in the manner in which we did in that 45 mins. It was just fantastic and just shows what a magician Bielsa is.
Trust me, we will only realise how good he was once that sad inevitable day arrives but for now enjoy and soak up every minute this man is in charge of our side.

Just a massive shame that the one issue that we cannot solve, being more clinical, was our downfall again ultimately. We could and should have been 2 or 3 up at least but then paid for it for that scrappy lucky goal for the gunners.

The support last night was amazing, hardly heard a single song from Arsenal fans, it was all about our fabulous 9-10k !! A joy to be there and I pray for many more nights like this to come next season.........
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gurj wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 am Seldom have I seen a Leeds United side, after over 30 years of support, outplay (so called) superior opponents in the manner in which we did in that 45 mins. It was just fantastic and just shows what a magician Bielsa is.
Indeed even under Wilko and O'Leary we used to go to places like Arsenal and look inferior. Certainly during Wenger's time at Arsenal whenever we went there Arsenal seemed to simply keep the ball at will and we relied on quick breaks utilising the likes of Kewell or Bowyer. The first half yesterday was a complete reversal of those days and I hope Bielsa stays with us to build us into a team like Wenger's was at Arsenal. I have no doubt that some of our players will improve, certainly the likes of Harrison is improving nicely and it is good we have an option to buy. Obviously as we improve we also may need some better players but all the players last night showed they are capable of holding their own at a higher level, it was hardly Arsenal reserves out there. When you consider 2 of our players were making their debuts, not having played any first team matches for lower league sides in England, yet we still bossed things you have to wonder how we'd have done with our first choice line-up with the likes of Pablo able to perhaps make that difference.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Gurj wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 am Absolutely shattered at work right now, got home at 2am but it was worth it for that truly magnificent first half. Seldom have I seen a Leeds United side, after over 30 years of support, outplay (so called) superior opponents in the manner in which we did in that 45 mins. It was just fantastic and just shows what a magician Bielsa is.
Trust me, we will only realise how good he was once that sad inevitable day arrives but for now enjoy and soak up every minute this man is in charge of our side.

Just a massive shame that the one issue that we cannot solve, being more clinical, was our downfall again ultimately. We could and should have been 2 or 3 up at least but then paid for it for that scrappy lucky goal for the gunners.

The support last night was amazing, hardly heard a single song from Arsenal fans, it was all about our fabulous 9-10k !! A joy to be there and I pray for many more nights like this to come next season.........
Well we still lost the game. Arguably Grayson is more of a magician than Bielsa after the 1 nil win over United a few years ago, while we were in league one still :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Just watch the whole match. Proud of them

Report up later as I must get ready for a bowls match later
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 am Absolutely shattered at work right now, got home at 2am but it was worth it for that truly magnificent first half.
You must be knackered mate. I'm lucky I can take the day off, arrived home at 2.55am

A special night even though we lost, probably a blessing in disguise.

Performances like that are the reasons why I firmly believe we'll go up, we look very close to being a premiership side, we are certainly the best team in the championship !
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

danhirons wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:02 pm Well we still lost the game. Arguably Grayson is more of a magician than Bielsa after the 1 nil win over United a few years ago, while we were in league one still :)
Fair comment mate but speaking to a lot of the fans at the game last night, we all agreed that the performance yesterday was actually far better than the way we played at OT that day but I do take your point that that it was a L2 team and they won.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:16 pm You must be knackered mate. I'm lucky I can take the day off, arrived home at 2.55am

A special night even though we lost, probably a blessing in disguise.

Performances like that are the reasons why I firmly believe we'll go up, we look very close to being a premiership side, we are certainly the best team in the championship !
A couple of Red Bull's are getting me through the day Leon.

Really was special being there yep. You're right, if we play like this more often than not till the end of the season, we will finish top !
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Gurj wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:42 pm Fair comment mate but speaking to a lot of the fans at the game last night, we all agreed that the performance yesterday was actually far better than the way we played at OT that day but I do take your point that that it was a L2 team and they won.
without a shadow of a doubt that first half performance was better - second half I thought we struggled - just saying really, not sure what I would prefer, play worse but win or play better and lose! No doubt that we play some stunning football under Bielsa but we don't get as many points as we probably should (due to our inexplicable lack of ability to just get the ball in the net!)! :)
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Yes that issue is continuing to haunt us......this is why Bamford for all he's excellent hold up play, has to become more clinical but he's record shows that he just isnt that kind of striker unfortunately. He will always need several attempts before he finally hits the back of the net.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gurj wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:42 pm Fair comment mate but speaking to a lot of the fans at the game last night, we all agreed that the performance yesterday was actually far better than the way we played at OT that day but I do take your point that that it was a L2 team and they won.
Miles better performance last night, in the first half. Against MU we battled for everything, defended really well but offered little in possession. Yesterday in that first half we outplayed Arsenal and if we'd gone in at half time 2 or 3 up it wouldn't have been undeserved.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The issue we have though is while Paddy isn't clinical enough he is a vital part of how we play and how we create chances.

I cant find the clip but the one he hit the bar from, he was very involved in the buildup.

We tried Eddie, a better finisher but it made us less solid, less threatening imo, a goal scorer isn't enough because it takes away from the rest of the style.

So we need the perfect striker really, if City would loan us Aguero we would walk the league!!!!!!!

Failing that we need more of an all rounder, Che Adams seems as good as we could hope for.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom