The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 27th November) Leeds leave it late again...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 27th November) Leeds leave it late again...

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Wednesday 27th November, and here is the latest news from Elland Road...

Leeds leave it late again

Leeds returned back to the top of the Championship with an impressive display at the Madejski Stadium last night. The only goal in the game came three minutes from time, as Harrison dispatched a delightful diagonal ball from on the verge of his own penalty spot which Alioski latched onto. The North Macedonian International then delivered a perfectly weighted through ball for the overlapping Costa who deposited an absolute peach of a ball into the Royals penalty area.

Provider turned goal scorer as Jack 'Usain Bolt' Harrison sprinted from the Leeds penalty area to head the ball into the back of the net sending the away fans behind the goal euphoric. It was no more than Leeds deserved. They had two thirds of possession, and twice the number of shots at goal (16) compared to Nark Bowens side.

If were were to be critical, Leeds only managed two shots on target, the same number as Reading, and as you would have heard from the commentary team last night, Leeds have only scored once this season from a corner. I have calculated that Leeds have had circa 130 corners so far this season. Surely they have to improve on their set pieces!

Post Match Press Conference

Leeds eyeing up replacements for Nketiah?

Leeds are reported to be drawing up a list of prospective replacements for Nketiah after multiple sources are claiming Arsenal will recall the striker in the New Year. The England U21 hitman has played just 242 minutes this season, scoring four goals in the process.

The loss of such a talent, especially if we lose him to one of our competitors will be a massive blow to Bielsa's promotion plans. I just can't help thinking that Leeds have not treated him well. We're talking about a guy who has scored 8 times in 8 games for the England U21's, a feat only beaten by Alan Shearer, yet he hadn't started a single league game for Leeds.

The rumour doing the rounds is that Leeds are eyeing up Burnley Striker Matěj Vydra. The 27yo has netted once for the Clarets in 17 appearances since his move from Derby in the Summer of 2018. Let's not forget Vydra was due to sign for Leeds instead of Burnley. He agreed personal terms, and even chose what squad number he wanted; only to do the dirty.

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 27th November) Leeds leave it late again...

Post by Ellandback1 »

We're waiting to find out how serious Tyler Roberts injury is, and let's not forget today id D-day for Casilla!!!!
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Its very encouraging that we can dig in and pick up 3 points when (imo) we played a pretty average game. Harrisons run to be in position for the goal was incredible, maybe he will press on from here and be a real asset to the team.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

If Nketiah goes back to arsenal, the blame will be firmly at Bielsas door. Such a shame we might not get to see his true potential perhaps by bielsa being too stubborn and sticking with bamford and no being prepared to try something different and play 2 up front.

Don't know what the attraction with vydra is. Seems like we've been trying to buy him for years!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks. I thought it was Dallas who launched the diagonal ball to Ali....

Pity if Eddie was to return and Bielsa would have to admit that he is at fault, whether he wanted him or not it was a tool he was given by the club and he should have used. Hopefully that tweet yesterday by Ed could be lookedcatvin a positive way...

Last night. Again it shows you how devastating our team is when allowed room and illustrates well why teams play like that against us. So expect more of it all season. Glad to see some variation on the corners and hopefully some of those training ground moves will come off, I do wish MB would unearth some of the vids from Liverpool in the 80s and how they rarely sent in a high ball..

Vydra. Whoever was to come would have to be given game time. Our best hope is someone offering us some dosh for Bamford first. Maybe PSG could take him... :lol:

Kiko, Well this will be interesting. His reputation is at stake, do this is a big day.

Roberts, Leeds took him off as a precaution I think, hopefully he will be ok.

Anyone else think Klich needs benched?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Dallas was superb last night and looks really sharp at the moment, lets hope he can stay fit.

I thought Phillips had one of his poorer passing games although he did make a great tackle to prevent an almost certain Reading goal.

Ben White - Unreal again. I think the big 4/5/6 in England are all looking for defenders with his type of style - his running with the ball last night was something else.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Just seen the goal. What a cracker. A superb break, a wonderful run by Harrison all the way from the left-back position to be in front of goal and a peace of a cross by Costa.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

rrfierce wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 am If Nketiah goes back to arsenal, the blame will be firmly at Bielsas door. Such a shame we might not get to see his true potential perhaps by bielsa being too stubborn and sticking with bamford and no being prepared to try something different and play 2 up front.

Don't know what the attraction with vydra is. Seems like we've been trying to buy him for years!
Welcome to the forum rrfierce

Vydra has not played much football in the last year and a half. I can't see him being able to play Bielsaball!!!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The Vydra story is a load of nonsense.
They've just added to the Nketiah story by including a forward who currently isn't currently getting any game time.
Why would we go back in for that money grabbing bell end who messed us about.
Let him keep warming Burnley's bench and ponder what he could have been part of at Leeds.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 am Morning folks. I thought it was Dallas who launched the diagonal ball to Ali....

It was, nice touch pass from Harrison to get it to him as we were breaking out of defence
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Better late than never, and the sort of win promoted teams need to grind out, but more importantly TOTL for a few hours at least but more notably we've eked above the 2 points per game mark - the more we build on that, the more likely our dreams of promotion come true.

I feel for Nketiah, I really do. Just when he looks to finally start, injury strikes but that's football for you. I suspect our striker enquiries are just 'worst case' contingencies as he's due to start training again shortly and there are plenty of games before January to come for him to get minutes in. We'll have to see closer to the time but I'd be surprised if we were genuinely looking at Vydra after all that's happened so far.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Why are the Nketiah rumours swirling again? He was about to get in the team and then got injured, not a lot we can do about that. As most are quick to point out Bielsa has not utilised him much and we are top of the league so whilst it will be a disappointment if he leaves it is not the end of the world especially if we can sign/loan a good replacement as backup in January.

Frustrating viewing last night, we are certainly controlling games better than last season but its nervy when we are winning by just 1 goal! Our Corners are a big frustration, sometimes they look more like an opportunity for the opposition than they do for us as it allows teams to break and get us when we are vulnerable. i have heard from someone who works at leeds that bielsa does not really bother about set pieces at all in training which given the amount we get seems a big oversight.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Part of Eddie's problem is his assets are negated when teams pack it in against us. His speed and elusiveness are of no use when there are seven men packed inside the box.

Very encouraged by the last couple of games. Not only six points away from home, but found a way to crack open a couple of teams that were packing it in and playing for the draw. I was getting the same feeling watching us that I used to get watching Man City a couple of years ago: the game-winning goal was inevitable.

Maybe I'm getting a little carried away, but I really think we have our best chance ever of finding our way out of the wilderness this year.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Jack's praise of Helder
“We won the ball back deep in our half and I saw the play building up on the right hand side and everyone keeps telling me how important it is for me to get to the back post, so I tried to make the back post and it was a brilliant ball by Helder and I was fortunate enough to be there and get my head on it,” Harrison said.

“I went straight to Helder to thank him and it was brilliant to get the result and win, it is all about the team and the three points is the main thing.”

We asked Dr Emmett Doc Brown to explain the physics of Jack Harrison's goal against Reading. He had this to say.
From Harrison passing the ball to Dallas until he headed the ball into the net there was a passage of 12 seconds
Harrison at a conservative estimate had to cover approximately 90 meters which is equivalent to running the 100 meters in 13 seconds. The velocity of the ball to Alioski was 40 km/hr and he was able to control it in his stride and pass it to Costa who then observed the pace and acceleration of Harrison and by a complex calculation which combined both geometry and algebra with just a smidgeon of calculus, launched the ball on a trajectory such that it evaded the desperate leaps of the Reading defenders but with pinpoint accuracy landed on the forehead of the onrushing Harrison for him to score the goal. By my calculations the probability of such a series of events happening is about 1 trillion to one. If I were not a scientist I would have to say that the whole series of events could only be classified as a miracle. There is no other explanation .
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

John in Louisiana wrote:
Part of Eddie's problem is his assets are negated when teams pack it in against us. His speed and elusiveness are of no use when there are seven men packed inside the box.

Very encouraged by the last couple of games. Not only six points away from home, but found a way to crack open a couple of teams that were packing it in and playing for the draw. I was getting the same feeling watching us that I used to get watching Man City a couple of years ago: the game-winning goal was inevitable.

Maybe I'm getting a little carried away, but I really think we have our best chance ever of finding our way out of the wilderness this year.
Very good and apposite post John. I'm also heartened by our 2 breakthrough goals to win tight games, and it's just this attitude of going for the win that should reap dividends.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

John in Louisiana wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:09 pm Part of Eddie's problem is his assets are negated when teams pack it in against us. His speed and elusiveness are of no use when there are seven men packed inside the box.

That's why I kept calm at half time mate, the exact same feeling. We might not be blowing teams away like the start of last season but we're not getting blown away either, and in a long, long seaon the majority of our points are going to be wins like last night's. I'm sure we'll get the odd 3 or 4 nil in, but the 1-goal wins against determined, organised and stubborn opponents are what makes champions.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 am Just seen the goal. What a cracker. A superb break, a wonderful run by Harrison all the way from the left-back position to be in front of goal and a peace of a cross by Costa.
Scum used to play that way all the time in the early 90's Harry. Schmeichel, Irwin, kanchelskis ( off like a rocket), Mcclair, Goal! They scored so many goals like that.....and look at the success it brought them