Biggest Flops

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Biggest Flops

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Who, of all the players you have seen at Leeds United have been the biggest flops?

Tomas Brolin, Ian Rush, Seth Johnson, Kevin Nicholls, Steve Morison, Billy Paynter, Paul Rachubka, Michael Ricketts?
gessa

Re: Biggest Flops

Post by gessa »

We've had an embarrassing amount of them.

Brolin- reputation and cost involved puts him at the top of the list.
Morison - only Colin could see him being better for the team than Becchio. Was gobsmacked at the time and still find that transfer, unbelievable.
Ricketts - purely for his lack of effort at the time. He should have been embarrassed to collect his wage, mind so should all of them on that list.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

gessa wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:55 am Ricketts - purely for his lack of effort at the time. He should have been embarrassed to collect his wage, mind so should all of them on that list.

John Bradley told me at the time that the club had had to get in an individual fitness coach just for Ricketts. He wasn't even training withthe rest of the squad, just doing fitness work all the time because he was so out of shape.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Peter Barnes, Roque Junior can be added to that list
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:57 am John Bradley told me at the time that the club had had to get in an individual fitness coach just for Ricketts. He wasn't even training withthe rest of the squad, just doing fitness work all the time because he was so out of shape.
How the hell he got an England cap, I'll never know.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 am How the hell he got an England cap, I'll never know.
I joined the chorus of 'Ricketts for England'...any team but Leeds.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:14 am I joined the chorus of 'Ricketts for England'...any team but Leeds.
:lol:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

You need to add Noel Hunt to that list...
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:18 am You need to add Noel Hunt to that list...
God, forgot about him.

Have just remembered John Oster though...
Arrested following an incident outside a Durham nightclub, released after exposing himself at the clubs Christmas party.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

It probably is Ricketts. A big fat so and so who wouldn't have looked out of place in a pub team.
One of a select few who got two caps in one game - his first and last.
I'd add Cameron Stewart to that list but there have been many more.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think you have to really judge this based on the return for the cost paid. I discount Seth Johnson because injuries robbed him of a chance to do well rather than him simply playing sh*te.

So for me it has to Brolin. We paid I think it was £4.5m for him which was a heck of a lot in them days - probably the equivalent of £70m in today's terms. He came with a glowing reputation having been a superstar in Italian football and also on the international stage for Sweden. Swedish players also tended to do well in Britain, a bit hardier than your flashy Italians etc. He was coming into what was usually the prime age for footballers and all in all it seemed a great deal and if ever a player seemed a sure thing to do well it was going to be Brolin. Sadly he became an overweight player who rarely seemed to try, when Wilko was sacked and George Graham took over it went from bad to worse as he never seemed to fit into the way Graham liked his teams to play, despite Graham having had a lot of success with Anders Limpar, a fellow swede, at the Gunners.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

jimmy kebe.

decent for reading but was like bambi on ice for us.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Come on Harry.. Junior& Barnes did at least try .
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

IIRC though Brolin got us a win v our bitter rivals..Good player probably screwed up by us tbh. You don't have an dominant WC without being a good player. Johnson never got fit and wasn't really needed, the perfect example of spending a lot of money for a back up. Bit like what a lot of Leeds fans expect us to be doing now.

Barnes was badly used by Clarke and that soured him on LUFC. He played well whenever I saw him, and that was a fair bit, but why buy a good winger and play him as a striker.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I remember seeing the T-shirt with a picture of a cows arse and a banjo with the words 'For the attention of Billy Paynter' Brilliant.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Billy Paynter was a big mistake..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
leedsalex
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsalex »

Brolin, Lee Sharpe, Seth Johnson
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:25 am God, forgot about him.

Have just remembered John Oster though...
Arrested following an incident outside a Durham nightclub, released after exposing himself at the clubs Christmas party.
Wasn't that Darren O'Dea
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Alex ( Sabella)

After the Argentinian WC and the transfers of Ardikes and Villa to Spurs it became vogue to have an Argie in your team.

We overpaid the Blunts for this tube, I was so excited to have him at the club...

Wack wack oops. One season and he was gone..
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Probably Brolin for me. I honestly thought we would win the league with him behind Yeboah. Problem at first was Wilko used him on the right due to injuries and he didn't like it. Then came the attitude and injuries. What a tosspot. It could have been so different.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]