The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone, here is Thursday 11th July's #LUFC Breakfast Debate.

Five star display at Bootham Crescent!

56 days after play off misery, Leeds returned to action to face York City! Goals from Roofe, Hernandez, Forshaw and a brace from man of the match Harrison saw the White run rampant at Bootham Crescent. Will Guiseley provide a sterner test tonight? (7.45pm kick off)

Fourth defender to leave Elland Road in a week!

Tyler Denton will become the fourth defender to leave Elland Road in just over a week. The 23yo left back will follow academy starlets Aapo Halme and Lewie Coyle to resurrect their careers away from LS11. (The fourth player obviously is Jansson). Have we let a future superstar slip through our fingers?

Have Brentford made the bargain signing of the Summer?

No sooner has the ink dried following Jansson's arrival at Griffin Park, than the Bees decide to sell surplus to requirements Ezri Konsa to Villa for 12m. The talented England U21 central defender is certainly a face for the future, but to me it just echoes that Brentford made the signing of the Summer snapping up the Swede for 4m plus add ons! Agree?

Corbaran keen on Irish wonderkid?

According to the Belfast Telegraph, Leeds are keen to sign 15-year-old Linfield wonderkid midfielder Charlie Allen. They will have to battle it out with Manchester City and Spurs.
Last edited by Ellandback1 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th July)

Post by The Subhuman »

We got the bargain signing of the summer last season so we're just paying it forward
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Five star display at Bootham Crescent!
Only a National League North team but we looked sharp. Not seen a Leeds team that switch on in pre-season before. Impressive, but at this stage the games don't mean a lot. Team will be weaker tonight though still some first teamers to make their pre-season debuts.

I think last night proved how much strength we have in this area, plenty of talented young players coming through; Casey, Struijk and Hosannah

No doubt he is a good signing for them and should do well. they have done a lot of good business in recent seasons.

We seem to be able to attrack good young talent. No idea about this lad but if Corbaran want's him then he must be good. McCarron's performance last night showed we have a good eye for talent.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

56 days after play off misery, Leeds returned to action to face York City!

Goals from Roofe, Hernandez, Forshaw and a brace from man of the match Harrison saw the White run rampant at Bootham Crescent.

Will Guiseley provide a sterner test tonight? (7.45pm kick off)

Impossible to say as we don't really know much about the comparative strength of York and Guiseley, how far along they are in terms of fitness etc.

Tyler Denton will become the fourth defender to leave Elland Road in just over a week. The 23yo left back will follow academy starlets Aapo Halme and Lewie Coyle to resurrect their careers away from LS11. (The fourth player obviously is Jansson). Have we let a future superstar slip through our fingers?

Doubtful - he has hardly featured when out at loan to clubs and at the age of 23 most players would have established themselves. Some fans got carried away because he scored a goal on his debut. Sad to see but the club needs to trim the squad.

Brentford made the signing of the Summer snapping up the Swede for 4m plus add ons! Agree?

The fee was low but if no premiership club wanted him then that reduced his price significantly. I don't buy all the bs about Brentford only got him cos it was a rush sale and we didn't transfer list him etc. If a premiership club wanted him they would have made an offer, put simply nobody thought he was worth it, seems they don't rate him as highly as most of our fans did - I think we all saw him as a decent defender, and he definitely saw himself as prem class but no manager thought he was even worthy of a place in their squad.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:25 am We got the bargain signing of the summer last season so we're just paying it forward
Morning Faaip, I hope you're not talking about Izzy Brown!!! :)

Seriously though, if Harrison can keep replicating last nights performance, he could be the loan signing of the Summer...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Lots of positives last night especially the passing and movement off the ball.
Nice to see the goals getting shared around with only Bamford missing out.

4th Defender. Well we all knew we need a clear out, I expect those guys to make good careers.

Brentford are better at scouting and doing business on the TM than we are. They are laughing all the way to the bank.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

I think the fee for Pontus is what's sticking in most people's craw, especially when it looks like they are selling a 21 year old, done nothing to Villa for £15m.
So then we have to wonder, why did no one else come in for Pontus?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 am Morning Faaip, I hope you're not talking about Izzy Brown!!! :)

Seriously though, if Harrison can keep replicating last nights performance, he could be the loan signing of the Summer...
Douglas, everyone said Wolves gave a player in the team of the season away and we got the bargain of the summer..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:57 am Douglas, everyone said Wolves gave a player in the team of the season away and we got the bargain of the summer..
I must admit, I'm really looking forward for him linking up with Costa!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:37 am Five star display at Bootham Crescent!
Only a National League North team but we looked sharp. Not seen a Leeds team that switch on in pre-season before. Impressive, but at this stage the games don't mean a lot. Team will be weaker tonight though still some first teamers to make their pre-season debuts.

I think last night proved how much strength we have in this area, plenty of talented young players coming through; Casey, Struijk and Hosannah

No doubt he is a good signing for them and should do well. they have done a lot of good business in recent seasons.

We seem to be able to attrack good young talent. No idea about this lad but if Corbaran want's him then he must be good. McCarron's performance last night showed we have a good eye for talent.
Morning YS,

McCarron showed some raw talent yesterday. Not surprised there were a host of clubs that wanted him.

The one player I really want to see is Bogusz.

If he's half as good as reports say, he should break into the first team this coming season. It will be a nice selection dilemma for Bielsa to have!

The only player that worries me a little is Bamford. I really wanted him to get off the mark last night
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Wish Bamford had stuck that chance away, needs some confidence and to get the fans off his back.

Hopefully we get to see Bogusz and Costa tonight!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:40 am 56 days after play off misery, Leeds returned to action to face York City!

Goals from Roofe, Hernandez, Forshaw and a brace from man of the match Harrison saw the White run rampant at Bootham Crescent.

Will Guiseley provide a sterner test tonight? (7.45pm kick off)

Impossible to say as we don't really know much about the comparative strength of York and Guiseley, how far along they are in terms of fitness etc.

Doubtful - he has hardly featured when out at loan to clubs and at the age of 23 most players would have established themselves. Some fans got carried away because he scored a goal on his debut. Sad to see but the club needs to trim the squad.

Brentford made the signing of the Summer snapping up the Swede for 4m plus add ons! Agree?

The fee was low but if no premiership club wanted him then that reduced his price significantly. I don't buy all the bs about Brentford only got him cos it was a rush sale and we didn't transfer list him etc. If a premiership club wanted him they would have made an offer, put simply nobody thought he was worth it, seems they don't rate him as highly as most of our fans did - I think we all saw him as a decent defender, and he definitely saw himself as prem class but no manager thought he was even worthy of a place in their squad.
Morning Weasel

Interesting what you say about trimming the squad.

Don't quote me on this, but I think we've got rid of 14 players so far, many of them fringe.

I can understand what you're saying - there is no point having fringe players as they won't improve our starting XI.

How many players from the U23's would you imagine will get into the first team squad this coming season?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 am Lots of positives last night especially the passing and movement off the ball.
Nice to see the goals getting shared around with only Bamford missing out.

4th Defender. Well we all knew we need a clear out, I expect those guys to make good careers.

Brentford are better at scouting and doing business on the TM than we are. They are laughing all the way to the bank.
Morning Ian,

Brentford have not been quiet about it either.

They are still rubbing it in...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:57 am I think the fee for Pontus is what's sticking in most people's craw, especially when it looks like they are selling a 21 year old, done nothing to Villa for £15m.
So then we have to wonder, why did no one else come in for Pontus?
Morning Gessa

It depends on how long Leeds were trying to get rid of him for?

I guarantee you if could have sold him for double if we just kept hold of our asset until the beginning of the season.

All it meant was, Brentford were the only club (at that specific time) that were in a position to buy him!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Gary Cahill coming to ER is becoming a realistic possibility...
D_Ll1iCX4AAiIOp.jpg
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 am Gary Cahill coming to ER is becoming a realistic possibility...

D_Ll1iCX4AAiIOp.jpg

Phil Hay seems to think it's nonsense...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:13 am Five star display at Bootham Crescent!
56 days after play off misery, Leeds returned to action to face York City! Goals from Roofe, Hernandez, Forshaw and a brace from man of the match Harrison saw the White run rampant at Bootham Crescent. Will Guiseley provide a sterner test tonight? (7.45pm kick off)
That's how we should be performing against a bunch of part-timers, I doubt York City players train as extensively as our lads do, they probably have other day jobs.

Leeds have a habit of making weaker opposition look good

Lets see if we perform as well in the cup competitions v lower league sides, it's about time we did !

The main fact is we looked very fit & sharp which gives us high hopes for the coming season

Definitely was a friendly match worth watching from a Leeds perspective :-D
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 am Phil Hay seems to think it's nonsense...
Even though Phil Hay has left the YEP, he can't let go of Leeds Utd!

I wonder what the YEP think about it? :shock:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:37 am Fourth defender to leave Elland Road in a week!
Denton had a decent game at Luton & was ok at Cambridge in the cup games, probably stood out because we had a poor side then. So many young players show initial promise then fade into oblivion

Casey, Struijk & Hosannah are showing much promise, only time will time tell whether they are good enough for high level competitive football
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:49 am Even though Phil Hay has left the YEP, he can't let go of Leeds Utd!

I wonder what the YEP think about it? :shock:

Rumour is he's off to the The Atlantic, a lot of local news journalists left their local papers this summer.