Funds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Funds

Post by Gino 1959 »

Armleywhite wrote: A 1 with loads of zero's after it maybe? :)
I think the original poster was referring to either the Hegelian or dialectical traditions, but - basically - it sees the world through a high-contrast black and white filter and - thereby - reduces understanding and thinking to a limited scope.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Armleywhite

Post by Armleywhite »

eh??
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gino 1959 wrote: I think the original poster was referring to either the Hegelian or dialectical traditions, but - basically - it sees the world through a high-contrast black and white filter and - thereby - reduces understanding and thinking to a limited scope.

put down the "philosophy for Dummies" book mate. I take it "the Shed" has little in the way of exciting reading, did Harry get the only Dancy Drew Mystery? (look under the workbench, she normally keeps a pile of old Womens Realms down there)
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Football's changed so much since those days, not enough loyalty around to build like Don did,as nice as it would be.
Great point Gessa
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

faaip wrote:put down the "philosophy for Dummies" book mate. I take it "the Shed" has little in the way of exciting reading, did Harry get the only Dancy Drew Mystery? (look under the workbench, she normally keeps a pile of old Womens Realms down there)
Think I have delved enough into her women's realms since I been here :wink:
Last edited by Gino 1959 on Mon May 23, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote: Great point Gessa
But wrong. Barcalona for one do it the Revie and Stein way. Wenger also a cracking role model.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Yes Barcelona create a great base by nurturing talent from within BUT they also spend money when know its essential.....look at the signing of David Villa - they knew they needed someone up front and got him. Ambition !!

We havent got that sort of cash but we could at least look at like sof Bothroyd and think, lot of wages, but its within our means and we are going to show some real desire to get promoted.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gurj wrote:Yes Barcelona create a great base by nurturing talent from within BUT they also spend money when know its essential.....look at the signing of David Villa - they knew they needed someone up front and got him. Ambition !!

We havent got that sort of cash but we could at least look at like sof Bothroyd and think, lot of wages, but its within our means and we are going to show some real desire to get promoted.

That would be a banner purchase especially as he'd debuted for England and is possibly being courted by a couple of premier clubs
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Eblis Presley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Eblis Presley »

Armleywhite wrote:eh??
For example, the notion that there is only Ken's way of running Leeds United or Viv's (or, better still, we could stop being coy and call option two a spade - i.e. Risdale).
white.riot wrote:But wrong. Barcalona for one do it the Revie and Stein way. Wenger also a cracking role model.
Gessa is correct, football (and the contractual situation of the players) has changed beyond recognition. A club that is already at the pinnacle can try emphasise their internal structure more than their rivals do but, even then, Barcelona make massive annual investments in their footballing future.

More importantly, there is not the slightest shred of evidence that Bates has a homegrown blueprint for developing our club and quite a lot to suggest that our long-term footballing future play a negligible part in his thinking.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:
Yes Barcelona have nurtured some great players out of their youth system, mindst along with Real Madrid in La Liga they are two of the biggest teams in the world playing in the best league worldwide

Barcelona have spent money though on ten of their squad

Alves - 30m
Pique - 5m
Mascherano - 22m
Villa - 40m
Adriano - 13m
Keita - 14m
Milito - 18m
Maxwell - 5m
Afellay - 3m
Abidal - 9m

As for Arsenal they are a joy to watch when they are in full flow, though remind me of a Grayson team, one week very good, next week very poor, a team that struggle to defend efficiently too.
If Wenger doesn't go out & sign a top class keeper & centre back the Gooners will continue to be the bridesmaids
Last edited by 1964white on Mon May 23, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSA
First Team
First Team

Post by CSA »

Eblis Presley wrote:
More importantly, there is not the slightest shred of evidence that Bates has a homegrown blueprint for developing our club and quite a lot to suggest that our long-term footballing future play a negligible part in his thinking.
Paranoia has a way of polarizing ones opinion wouldn't you say.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

faaip wrote:
That would be a banner purchase especially as he'd debuted for England and is possibly being courted by a couple of premier clubs
They all want to play for Leeds regardless of wages. This is the accepted wisdom.
Eblis Presley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Eblis Presley »

CSA wrote: Paranoia has a way of polarizing ones opinion wouldn't you say.
What are you trying to say? Feel free, i'm not easily offended.

(it's not really my bag but one's opinion being polarised sounds a bit schiz..)
CSA
First Team
First Team

Post by CSA »

Eblis Presley wrote: What are you trying to say? Feel free, i'm not easily offended.

(it's not really my bag but one's opinion being polarised sounds a bit schiz..)
Merely pointing out that to some (not personally implicating your good self) put a very a suspicious slant on anything Bates does or says, there is rarely a balanced opinion from people who have convinced themselves they hate him, they only believe his actions are for the good of Bates and not Leeds. no matter what, confirmed Bates haters will not listen to any kind of counter argument in support of him however compelling it may be.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

white.riot wrote: They all want to play for Leeds regardless of wages. This is the accepted wisdom.

I fully understand that to be the case....
Eblis Presley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Eblis Presley »

CSA wrote: Merely pointing out that to some (not personally implicating your good self) put a very a suspicious slant on anything Bates does or says, there is rarely a balanced opinion from people who have convinced themselves they hate him, they only believe his actions are for the good of Bates and not Leeds. no matter what, confirmed Bates haters will not listen to any kind of counter argument in support of him however compelling it may be.
Fair enough and, of course, it goes both ways. I'm not a hater but will confess to a deep reservoir of suspicion about Ken and his motives. This is not some blind antipathy but based on the man's documented history and the evidence of his performance at Leeds and before.

The truth is i'd love to hear a compelling argument in support of Bates, one that stands scrutiny. I've not seen one made on here, or on the other channel - in fact it is very rarely even attempted. I'm envious of fans who aren't that interested in the internal workings of the club, and i'm sure it makes supporting Leeds easier, but those that actively champion Bates ought to be able to justify their position with more than 'he's not Risdale'.
Armleywhite

Post by Armleywhite »

We'll said elbis. A very good point well put and without insults. I'm impressed :lol: :lol:
Eblis Presley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Eblis Presley »

Armleywhite wrote:We'll said elbis. A very good point well put and without insults. I'm impressed :lol: :lol:
It's Eblis you management scum, errr, go testicles.. or sommat.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Eblis Presley wrote: Fair enough and, of course, it goes both ways. I'm not a hater but will confess to a deep reservoir of suspicion about Ken and his motives. This is not some blind antipathy but based on the man's documented history and the evidence of his performance at Leeds and before.

The truth is i'd love to hear a compelling argument in support of Bates, one that stands scrutiny. I've not seen one made on here, or on the other channel - in fact it is very rarely even attempted. I'm envious of fans who aren't that interested in the internal workings of the club, and i'm sure it makes supporting Leeds easier, but those that actively champion Bates ought to be able to justify their position with more than 'he's not Risdale'.
Surely under British law the burdon of proof lies with the prosecution ? My passion for lufc runs deeper thann the endless cheap shots against Bates and grayson. The view that scepticism is the true faith amuses me. Not your approach by the way. Warts and all does the job 4 me.
CSA
First Team
First Team

Post by CSA »

Eblis Presley wrote:
Fair enough and, of course, it goes both ways. I'm not a hater but will confess to a deep reservoir of suspicion about Ken and his motives. This is not some blind antipathy but based on the man's documented history and the evidence of his performance at Leeds and before.

The one defining difference (to me anyway) between the way Bates runs the club and the way Ridsdale did is Bates appears to run it as a business and manages the finances accordingly. Publicly Grayson appears to trust him, if he was as bad as some people portray its a wonder any Manager would work for him.
BTW I do try and keep an open mind and don't count myself as one of his fan club, however we are doing it, we seem to be heading in the right direction.(not as quick as Norwich though and that really pissed me off!!)