Funds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Funds

Post by The Subhuman »

It's bloody hard keeping balance up here on the fence
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Eblis Presley wrote: I know you're capable of more than binary thinking so why you'd try and suggest there are but these two alternatives I have no clue.

But, playing along, it's worth pointing out that Viv didn't run a business and that Ken is the custodian of much more than a business. Both have interesting histories and their modus operandi well-documented - for one it's 'spend, spend, spend' for the other 'lie, cheat, steal' (though this too can include phases of reckless spending - just not on football - donations to lawyer friends are a favourite).
Yes how much did he cost us in libel fees because of his ridiculous actions in his programme column

£150,000 i think it was, no doubt came out of LUFC accounts & not his own pocket !
chicagowhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by chicagowhite »

1964white wrote: Yes how much did he cost us in libel fees because of his ridiculous actions in his programme column

£150,000 i think it was, no doubt came out of LUFC accounts & not his own pocket !
Legal costs were estimated in excess of 1M probably over 1.5M
7 Years of Lies, while L-U-F-C dies

"I shall not rest until Leeds United are kicked out of the football league. Their fans are the scum of the earth, absolute animals and a disgrace. I will do everything in my power to make sure this happens."

A quote from Mr Bates - 1984
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Once again certain people here, confuse ambition and a desire to make a concerted effort for promotion, with wanting our club to be virtually bankrupt again.

Likes of 64 and I have never advoacted that we spend £20m or something daft.......why cant people see there is a difference btw simplay having a go and spending well over your means. OK, the days of £5m,10m,15m spending on single players has long but Leeds United in its current state should still be able to purchase 2 or 3 players for £1m or £2m or so.

Now an interesting scenario has developed today, Jay Bothoyd has become available, no fee as his out of contract and yes his wages will be high but this is the type of ambitious signing we should be looking at. Not tripe like Billy Paynter and co !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Thought Bothroyd was off to celtic? :duno:
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

It is a matter of getting in the right players at sensible fees/wages and getting them to gel i.e. good management/coaching. I agree that you don't have to break the bank, but if you pay peanuts...
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Twiggster wrote:Thought Bothroyd was off to celtic? :duno:
Not sure, but there is some young defender I had never heard of at Cardiff on his way north.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:Once again certain people here, confuse ambition and a desire to make a concerted effort for promotion, with wanting our club to be virtually bankrupt again.

Likes of 64 and I have never advoacted that we spend £20m or something daft.......why cant people see there is a difference btw simplay having a go and spending well over your means. OK, the days of £5m,10m,15m spending on single players has long but Leeds United in its current state should still be able to purchase 2 or 3 players for £1m or £2m or so.

Now an interesting scenario has developed today, Jay Bothoyd has become available, no fee as his out of contract and yes his wages will be high but this is the type of ambitious signing we should be looking at. Not tripe like Billy Paynter and co !
Thanks Gurj

Someone who understands my motives, desire, ambition & best interests for the club
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gino 1959 wrote:It is a matter of getting in the right players at sensible fees/wages and getting them to gel i.e. good management/coaching. I agree that you don't have to break the bank, but if you pay peanuts...
You get Paynter :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

:shock:
chicagowhite wrote: Legal costs were estimated in excess of 1M probably over 1.5M
Blimey ! was it that much :shock:

No wonder we cannot replace the likes of Beckford or even an average player such as Micky Doyle
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote:

I have never said we should spend a fortune on new signings. I do expect our coaches to bring in players with a touch of quality as oppose to signing the likes of Paynter, Bessone, Collins, etc who are basically League One players.
Apparently we spent our whole revenue from the Arsenal games on McCartney's salary according to Ken which i don't believe for one minute, yet another useless footballer we brought in as we panicked to bolster up our leaky defence

I don't wish my club to go down the Ridsdale road, please get that point in your head !

As for good coaching that's a joke when you look at our defensive frailties for the last two seasons & our form has dipped dramatically in the latter part of the season TWICE !

NO we don't need to spend big but we do have to be seen to compete for the right type of players & youngsters such as Bannan & Livermore need to be given time to settle & not thrown in the lion's den

Then there is the youth policy you mention, how many youngsters have come through to the first team in the last couple of years ? We currently have one in the team, our captain who made his debut when we were previously in the championship

That's why Bates and Larry reviewed our academy and recruited a new manager. More good news/common sense.

I have no idea what binary thinking is. What I do know is the players you big spenders want [which players do you want by the way] probably cost more than the money we have available otherwise we would bring them in surely - or is that perhaps binary thinking.

Having finished 7th after being promoted the previous year I have Larry down as a success. Given that he, by your admission, spent no money, only through good coaching can Larry have delivered - yet more binary. Or was it sheer luck that Larry has two promotions under his belt, stabilised us in the champs and left Blackpool in the position where Holloway could do what OL did after George left. The lack of respect for the job Bates and Larry have done astounds me at times.
USA LEE
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by USA LEE »

How can the supporters pay prem tkts prices and not have some funds available - I mentioned in an earlier thread Bates needs to tell Simon whats it going to take to win promotion next season and if the manager chooses not to spend on players good for him. I m sure, 3-5 million on 3- 4 players is required.( thats not breaking the bank).

We had a great first season .Second season will be different.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

USA LEE wrote:How can the supporters pay prem tkts prices and not have some funds available - I mentioned in an earlier thread Bates needs to tell Simon whats it going to take to win promotion next season and if the manager chooses not to spend on players good for him. I m sure, 3-5 million on 3- 4 players is required.( thats not breaking the bank).

Equally important that Simon tells Bates what is required for promotion next year :?:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

USA LEE wrote:How can the supporters pay prem tkts prices and not have some funds available - I mentioned in an earlier thread Bates needs to tell Simon whats it going to take to win promotion next season and if the manager chooses not to spend on players good for him. I m sure, 3-5 million on 3- 4 players is required.( thats not breaking the bank).

I reckon it is
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

faaip wrote: I reckon it is

Anyone would think it was Monte Carlo :roll:
CSA
First Team
First Team

Post by CSA »

Slowly build a team/family the Revie way, and no overpaid primadonnas (Bothroyd springs to mind) please !
USA LEE
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by USA LEE »

Gino 1959 wrote: Equally important that Simon tells Bates what is required for promotion next year :?:

We will looking a new manager -
1964white

Post by 1964white »

3 to 5 million ! i wasn't speculating Ken/Larry spending anywhere near that amount of dosh contrary to what WR thinks
Armleywhite

Post by Armleywhite »

white.riot wrote:I have no idea what binary thinking is.
A 1 with loads of zero's after it maybe? :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

CSA wrote:Slowly build a team/family the Revie way, and no overpaid primadonnas (Bothroyd springs to mind) please !
Football's changed so much since those days, not enough loyalty around to build like Don did,as nice as it would be.