Maximilian Wöber-Gone

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Maximilian Wöber- Should he be Captain?

Post by lufc1304 »

weasel wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:25 am Does look to be a bargain so far. I think he has his limitations, in terms of ball playing, but he seems to be very strong at the defending side of the game.
Koch looks like he can pick a pass, so maybe it's not such a big thing that Wober isn't strong in that area. A bit like Carvallho and Terry at Chelski, one did the donkeying whilst the other could carry the ball out of defence.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Danieloffthewall27
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Danieloffthewall27 »

faaip wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:16 am It makes you better able to organise ...

Well, i might be wrong then. Btw i just remember an other Austrian defender moving to Leeds United when i was a child.. Martin Hiden
Danieloffthewall27
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Danieloffthewall27 »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:03 am Welcome to our forum, Daniel :tup:
Thank you. :wave:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:30 am Koch looks like he can pick a pass, so maybe it's not such a big thing that Wober isn't strong in that area. A bit like Carvallho and Terry at Chelski, one did the donkeying whilst the other could carry the ball out of defence.
Yeah I agree. Would also be good to have a DM in front of them who was comfortable taking the ball and passing it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:30 am Koch looks like he can pick a pass, so maybe it's not such a big thing that Wober isn't strong in that area. A bit like Carvallho and Terry at Chelski, one did the donkeying whilst the other could carry the ball out of defence.
Oh i think Wober can pick a pass also, it may have been Koch to Gnonto for our first but seconds prior it was the same pass from Wober to Gnonto for our goal of the season (imo)...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:54 pm Oh i think Wober can pick a pass also, it may have been Koch to Gnonto for our first but seconds prior it was the same pass from Wober to Gnonto for our goal of the season (imo)...
Easier in many ways to hit that sort of pass than a 10 yard pass to a teammate in a crowded situation. You knock that long ball and you have quite a large area to aim it into as well as the fact that if it does get cut out it will likely be a lot further up the pitch than if it is a short pass on the edge of your box (like when the pass went astray v Fulham recently).
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 pm Easier in many ways to hit that sort of pass than a 10 yard pass to a teammate in a crowded situation. You knock that long ball and you have quite a large area to aim it into as well as the fact that if it does get cut out it will likely be a lot further up the pitch than if it is a short pass on the edge of your box (like when the pass went astray v Fulham recently).
It was the same pass and neither were played into empty space for a forward to run onto....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Honestly, I think some of the early few passing woes stem more to our managerial changes and accompanying tactics, as well as him getting settled in with his teammates and the player standard in the Premiership. I’d look to see continued improvement from him in that area as time unfolds.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Maximilian Wöber - INJURED & SUBBED tonight.

Post by 1964white »

Max subbed off on 36 mins, match delayed for a while

Truly hope his injury isn't too serious, or else we really are in the :poo:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:50 pm Max subbed off on 36 mins, match delayed for a while

Truly hope his injury isn't too serious, or else we really are in the :poo:
International call ups :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Tremendous. Not. Really not.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Hope he is OK

If he isn't that means we are down to 1 senior cb given Coops has taken up permanent residency in the Adam Forshaw Suit
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:27 pm Hope he is OK

If he isn't that means we are down to 1 senior cb given Coops has taken up permanent residency in the Adam Forshaw Suit
Alternatives are Cooper now injury prone, Struijk, Ayling & Kristensen are full-backs, not one of them are nowhere near the level to fill Wober's boots.

A serious injury to Max would probably doom us to relegation, especially with our other most consistent player of the season Tyler Adams out injured.

Someone up there doesn't like us :

Bamford>Sinisterra>Rodrigo>Adams>Wober
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

I think if he isn't fit you have to put Struijk in there and see how he makes out.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:24 am Alternatives are Cooper now injury prone, Ayling & Kristensen are full-backs, not one of them are nowhere near the level to fill Wober's boots.

A serious injury to Max would probably doom us to relegation, especially with our other most consistent player of the season Tyler Adams out injured.

Someone up there doesn't like us :

Bamford>Sinisterra>Rodrigo>Adams>Wober
Pascal can fill the position until Max is back if he is out 64
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Apologies Onemore & Chilli, I'd forgotten Pascal :o not playing in his preferred CB position is a major concern for me, hopefully he would be the answer to our prayers if the worse comes to the worst.

I personally can't see any of the other options including Pascal having the awareness, positioning, leadership Max gives us at the back!
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

What I find most remarkable about Wober is how he not only anticipates the worst case scenario (from a defensive perspective) but actually puts himself in position to diffuse it before it occurs. While most experienced defenders are capable of similar vision few, if any, are motivated to prevent an imagined scenario before it happens preferring to wait until it occurs before acting. I've seen it again and again from Wober and it never fails to amaze me.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

onemoreslogan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:03 pm What I find most remarkable about Wober is how he not only anticipates the worst case scenario (from a defensive perspective) but actually puts himself in position to diffuse it before it occurs. While most experienced defenders are capable of similar vision few, if any, are motivated to prevent an imagined scenario before it happens preferring to wait until it occurs before acting. I've seen it again and again from Wober and it never fails to amaze me.
Difficult to coach anticipation into a footballer's game, it does help Max having a football brain.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Maximilian Wöber - INJURED & SUBBED last night.

Post by weasel »

Whilst I hope Wober is okay and see him as our best left sided centreback I am not too worried if Cooper or Struyjk have to play instead of him. The main problems we have had defensively this season have been the previous tactics and having to play a right footed defender in the position who was clearly not comfortable playing there. Struyjk looked a bit iffy playing centreback this season but I feel that was again due to the tactics and also due to him having got used to playing left back then being dropped into centreback at short notice. Struyjk being out of the team for a while may actually have helped him in that respect. Cooper is fine in the position also and now we are playing a way that would suit Cooper more, including his ability to play long diagonal passes, he should be able to slot in.

Hopefully though Wober will be fine as would definitely rather have him starting and keeping the defence settled.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:30 pm Difficult to coach anticipation into a footballer's game, it does help Max having a football brain.
It goes back to a point I made previosuly about how defenders usually get better with age even though their pace may decline. Your reading of the game imporves simply through playing, you learn from your mistakes and your anticipation makes it so much easier. Like you say I don't think you can coach it but that it just happens as you play more games. Cresswell will be a far better defender having played games this season.