The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th December) - Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th December) Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign

Post by 1964white »

Sorry to be pedantic, folks.

Our former striker is called Chris Wood, not Woods
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th December) Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign

Post by Lumiukko »

Firpo - I've tried and tried but my patience is wearing thin. To an extent I do agree with Faaip's assessment, as from time to time there have been glimmers. It might be he is just not a PL type player (fitness issues aside). Not a colossal waste of money, and we'd be crowing if he'd been the next Roberto Carlos at that fee.

Relegation - We just don't feel as much like relegation material this year round. We seem to have stopped getting hammered by the big teams (well, at least scoring about as many as they do), so that should do wonders for our GD at season's end. However, the bottom of the table is going to be more compact this year as teams at the bottom are getting points from the "big 6". Will be a slug, but if we can address some of our issues (defensively, and recruitment) we should not be in the mire come last day of the season.

Chris Wood - I'd take him as a stop-gap loan (and only this) to the end of the season as long as he'd be willing to put himself about a bit. He can do a job holding the ball up, and will give us some danger on set pieces unlike most of our midgets up front. I do have my reservations that he can play Marschball through the middle as he's not exactly blessed with pace, preferring crosses coming in from wide, which we don't tend to do.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

We cannot have a player like Firpo that shows glimpses. In our position in the league we need more consistent performances, like Struijk.

There’s no smear campaign, just a lot of frustration.

Chris Wood on loan fine, but if that happens it’ll be all we get.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:09 pm Sorry to be pedantic, folks.

Our former striker is called Chris Wood, not Woods
Your not and you beat me to it!

Its Chris WOOD not woods. Drove me bonkers when he played for us and commentators couldn't get his name right
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:15 pm We cannot have a player like Firpo that shows glimpses. In our position in the league we need more consistent performances, like Struijk.

There’s no smear campaign, just a lot of frustration.

Chris Wood on loan fine, but if that happens it’ll be all we get.
Yet Struijk last season was very inconsistent and often poor at CB last season... Firpo needs a run of games, he looked very good pre season before the injury.. Struijk though has been our best player this season according to the stats, (It's actually Aaronson for me) and Firpo need to wait his time to oust him.. We're judging him on f**k all evidence atm.

What Leeds fans seem to demand is the complete player at every position and god forbid if they're not perfect... Here's a thought, try not to be frustrated and more accepting ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

All this drama over Wood rather Woods. Fortunately I am not pedantic either, because if I read back a month or so and checked grammar and spelling there would be a lot of “Must try harder”

He will always be Woods for me.
A Tourist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by A Tourist »

Firpo has been less the victim of a smear campaign than the victim of his own performances. What happened against Leicester wasn't a lack of playtime. Lots of players struggle for time, but he was by far the most lost of the entire team. Directly culpable on the 2nd goal when he's beat by a simple ball in the channel leading to the overload on the weak side and looked second best to Ayling against Wolves.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:32 pm Your not and you beat me to it!

Its Chris WOOD not woods. Drove me bonkers when he played for us and commentators couldn't get his name right
It should be "You're not" not "Your not". :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:36 pm All this drama over Wood rather Woods. Fortunately I am not pedantic either, because if I read back a month or so and checked grammar and spelling there would be a lot of “Must try harder”

He will always be Woods for me.
Why?

We may as well drop the S off our American star player's name & call him Tyler Adam ;-)
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 am Firpo has a great left foot, very intelligent passer and can get to the bye line. Defensively he's about the same as Rasmus for me, capable of being caught out upfield, has saved goals by being there instead of the CB who's gone missing. The groin injury is unfortunate meaning a lack of game time but one sorted should mean a run of games should we lose Pascal who rightly holds the left back spot atm...Firpo looked very good pre season the last time he was fully fit, I love the attitude, reminds me of Adams there. He cost 12 M which is f**k all in terms of money in the prem.

A keeper for me but not a starter while Pascal is playing so well...
Wow, another classic. Up there with his assessment of Tyler Roberts.