What Songs Take You Back To A Particular Time/Place/Event ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Muppet the Cat

Music What Songs Take You Back To A Particular Time/Place/Event ?

Post by Muppet the Cat »

I was listening to the radio today and what should come on, but Limmie & Family Cookin' 'You Can Do Magic'.........an absolutely unremarkable record you probably think.......and you'd no doubt you'd be right. However, that record has always stuck in my conscious because as a 8yr kid it was the record that came on when I first dialled a disc. (For those of a certain age you'll recall if you dialled 16 (or 160...I can't remember now) on your (parents) telephone you could hear one of the hit records of that week). My sister and I had nagged my Dad for ages to be able to ring it and when he finally succumbed 'You Can Do Magic' was what came down the line. Must have been 1971/72, but I remember it like yesterday, sat in his office chair in the upstairs back room of the house where we lived at the time in Dunnington, York.

Other ones that particularly stick in my mind, not sure why as they were far from monumental events in my life, when I hear the records are:

David Bowie 'The Jean Genie' - for the reason it was the first record I ever bought and had to save up 5 weeks of 5p pocket money to get it and the experience of going into the record shop on the Stonebow, near (at the time the Polar Ford Garage) to get it.

Grandmaster Flash 'White Lines' - falling off a table in somewhere called the Beach Boys Bar in Lloret de Mar during my first 'boys trip' holiday (1982/83 ??)

Tears for Fears 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' - memorable boys weekend to a friend's place in Worthing (not a place that is as old and gentile as you may think, well it wasn't in 1985).

Others must have some that have some real significance in their lives.....well certainly more significant than ringing a telephone number, a drunken accident and a boozy weekend...I'd argue that buying your first record is significant though :)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: What Songs Take You Back To A Particular Time/Place/Event ?

Post by Jaydog »

Going to buy the latest Gary Glitter single 😬 as kids.
So any of his songs. Not on the radio much these days for some reason.
Baby Jane by Rod Stewart or Come on Eileen by Dexys . First holiday camping with mates in Torquay, about 17 years old
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Like most I have many, predominately Jam songs as Weller as been a constant in my life but some of the best:

Much too Young - Specials reminds me of my eldest as like me he did and he's a massive Specials fan
Strange Town - The Jam my youngest as like me he loves to travel and often on his own
Do I Love You - Frank Wilson reminds me of scooter rallies and weekends away
That's Entertainment -The Jam one of my favourite Jam hits but also my ringtone for my mum as she's got Dementia now so when she rings its either funny or heart ache in equal measure and you've gotta laugh or you'd cry
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Eagles 'New Kid In Town' when I left my home city Leeds & moved to the South West in 1977.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

This song always reminds me of my first girlfriend. It was in the charts when we started dating.

It was also on MTV and VH1 every hour.

I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Athlete - Wires. Was driving home from the hospital having just been told that my daughter, who'd been born 10 weeks premature, had a massive hole in her heart and needed life-saving surgery. I'd just about held it together until that song came on, had to pull into the side of the road as I was in bits. To this day, I have to turn it off if it comes on the radio. Happy to report that our Ruby is now almost 15 and has never looked back, but that was, by some distance, the absolute worst time of my life.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:55 pm Athlete - Wires. Was driving home from the hospital having just been told that my daughter, who'd been born 10 weeks premature, had a massive hole in her heart and needed life-saving surgery. I'd just about held it together until that song came on, had to pull into the side of the road as I was in bits. To this day, I have to turn it off if it comes on the radio. Happy to report that our Ruby is now almost 15 and has never looked back, but that was, by some distance, the absolute worst time of my life.
Yes, certain tunes can take us back to bad as well as good times, Nick.

I'm glad, Ruby is fit, well, healthy and enjoying life.

I think I can appreciate what you went through as getting for 24yrs ago now my elder daughter was delivered some 5/6 weeks early (due to my wife having pre-eclampsia). She then spent a 2 or 3 weeks in SCBU before coming home. However, within about 10 days we sensed (my wife really, mother's intuition I guess) something wasn't right so called the doctor. We were in haste sent to the hospital and told that it could be meningitis. We were asked to leave and come back in a hour or two whilst they did a lumbar puncture etc.. When we returned she wasn't where we left her and had been moved up to the infant intensive/critical care unit, to be told it was likely she wouldn't pull through. As with you Nick, that without question was the worst night/time of my (and the same for wife) life.

She did pull through, by very sadly the meningitis left her with significant brain damage and we were told she might be (although tbf they didn't use the term) a tube-fed vegetable thereafter.

I'll not deny it's been at times a hard struggle, but wind on 24yrs and she is living in a supported living bungalow 5 minutes down the road from us and is very happy. She can walk (albeit with a limp, due to her cerebral palsy) and talk and has done hugely better than we were initially advised to ever expect (perhaps understandably I think medics will always give you a cautious view), albeit she's really, mentally a two year old in a 24yr old body. But she's Alice and we love her to bits.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

^wow. Amazing life stories above. Glad your girls are doing well after difficult starts in life.
So Cat you have 2 daughters? My daughter is called Alice too. Great name 👍🏼
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:43 pm ^wow. Amazing life stories above. Glad your girls are doing well after difficult starts in life.
So Cat you have 2 daughters? My daughter is called Alice too. Great name 👍🏼
Yes, Foxy we’ve two daughters. Alice is the elder and 24 and the younger, Kate (currently at Uni, this week starting the 2nd year of her Medicine course) is 19.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:09 pm Yes, Foxy we’ve two daughters. Alice is the elder and 24 and the younger, Kate (currently at Uni, this week starting the 2nd year of her Medicine course) is 19.
Clever girl.
Chip off the old block eh.
Daughters names are Alice Katy.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

David Essex - Gonna make you a star, 49p i think, first 45 i ever bought.

Never bought anything else after that still to this day.

Oh, i lie, ain't no stoppin us now Mcfaddin an Whitehead for a girl i didn't have the bottle to give it to.

And then aged 15/16 i asked a girl to get me Strangetown coz the 'B' side was good (down in the tube station at midnight i think)

and another i can't remember but i think it was Davy Watts on the b of going underground

My sister bought me atomic debbie harry album and then after that it's a blurr
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Dogs Pink Floyd.

Sitting on the cliff above the Giants Causeway watching the sun set the night before attending the Northwest 200.

The bridge section coincided with the sun hitting the sea.

https://youtu.be/4QA30qkRYy8

3 mins 30.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

First single 1962 - The Beatles 'Love Me Do'

Four of us use to impersonate the FAB 4 in our back street with toy guitars & makeshift drums.

First album 1970 - Simon & Garfunkel 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'

My first album purchase from my very first salary, haven't stopped collecting albums since.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Walker Bros The sun aint going to shine anymore. First dance with my future wife.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:55 pm Athlete - Wires. Was driving home from the hospital having just been told that my daughter, who'd been born 10 weeks premature, had a massive hole in her heart and needed life-saving surgery. I'd just about held it together until that song came on, had to pull into the side of the road as I was in bits. To this day, I have to turn it off if it comes on the radio. Happy to report that our Ruby is now almost 15 and has never looked back, but that was, by some distance, the absolute worst time of my life.
A distressing time for you & your wife, Nick.

I know from past conversations that Ruby is the apple of your eye.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:29 pm Clever girl.
Chip off the old block eh.
Daughters names are Alice Katy.
Of course, although the wife may disagree :duno:

Gosh, bit of coincidence on the names there, Foxy
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:09 pm Yes, Foxy we’ve two daughters. Alice is the elder and 24 and the younger, Kate (currently at Uni, this week starting the 2nd year of her Medicine course) is 19.
You have two beautiful daughters mate, a lovely family.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

A lot of songs take me back to 1989-1992. It was the time when I came of age, first kiss, first girlfriend, first drinks, first hangover, and moved from teen discos to pubbing and clubbing. And in the last year of that phase, started going out with the now Mrs. Mountain - after many years of lusting from afar - and setting off to Uni together. But 2 stand out...

808 State - Pacific. I remember the first time I heard it. It was like...all other music suddenly got dull

Sleeping Satellite - Tasmin Archer. It was at the end of the time above and I was 18, going out with my now wife, at Uni and thinking life could not be better.

Have had a few heartaches since, she had a lot of tragedy in her family, and the process of trying to have kids saw a lot of tears and worry too. There isn't a day goes by when we don't thank the miracle of modern medicine.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:34 pm Yes, certain tunes can take us back to bad as well as good times, Nick.

I'm glad, Ruby is fit, well, healthy and enjoying life.

I think I can appreciate what you went through as getting for 24yrs ago now my elder daughter was delivered some 5/6 weeks early (due to my wife having pre-eclampsia). She then spent a 2 or 3 weeks in SCBU before coming home. However, within about 10 days we sensed (my wife really, mother's intuition I guess) something wasn't right so called the doctor. We were in haste sent to the hospital and told that it could be meningitis. We were asked to leave and come back in a hour or two whilst they did a lumbar puncture etc.. When we returned she wasn't where we left her and had been moved up to the infant intensive/critical care unit, to be told it was likely she wouldn't pull through. As with you Nick, that without question was the worst night/time of my (and the same for wife) life.

She did pull through, by very sadly the meningitis left her with significant brain damage and we were told she might be (although tbf they didn't use the term) a tube-fed vegetable thereafter.

I'll not deny it's been at times a hard struggle, but wind on 24yrs and she is living in a supported living bungalow 5 minutes down the road from us and is very happy. She can walk (albeit with a limp, due to her cerebral palsy) and talk and has done hugely better than we were initially advised to ever expect (perhaps understandably I think medics will always give you a cautious view), albeit she's really, mentally a two year old in a 24yr old body. But she's Alice and we love her to bits.
Jesus, Muppet, you guys have been through the wringer with Alice, but good on her for defying all expectations. I love that this story has a happy ending :love:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:47 pm A distressing time for you & your wife, Nick.

I know from past conversations that Ruby is the apple of your eye.
She is, Leon, even though we don't always see eye to eye!!