Album of 1991 (Part III) - VOTE NOW!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Album of 1993 (Part II) - NOMINATE NOW

Post by lufc1304 »

Mountain wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:10 pm Oh that will get a lot of points from me. I'll go for another classic ...

A Tribe Called Quest - "Midnight Marauders".

I could listen to Electric Relaxation on repeat every night. It's just perfect mellow jazz hip hop...

https://youtu.be/WHRnvjCkTsw
I nearly went with ATCQ, it was a flip of the coin. 93 was a good year for hip hop
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Album of 1983 (Part II) - Rook to VOTE

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:12 am Congratulations on passing your Bulgarian driving test, James :tup:

House moves can be very traumatic mate, good luck.
Cheers Leon, yes, it'll be another adventure for us 8-)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Album of 1983 (Part II) - Rook to VOTE

Post by White Riot »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:17 am Buried Alive from the Nightmare album my favourite track of theirs, Riot 👍
Classic mate :tup:

I love a lot of their stuff, City of Evil, Nightmare, Hail to the King, Seize the Day .

Awesome guitar 🎸 work :love:
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

SaraM wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:47 pm Early 90s is the worst period for music, for me... 90s the worst decade generally.
You must be a lot older than me because the early 90's music scene to me was awesome.

I was still at school, coming up to leaving and going onto college.

The air was rife with Nirvana,Manic Street Preachers,Sugar, Fugazi, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam,TAD, Pavement, Babes in Toyland, There were loads of exciting bands to my young self.

And MTV was awesome during the early 90's too.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I guess a lot depends on age. I was 15/16 in 1989/90. And heard 808 State's Pacific. And that was it, I pretty much stopped listening to U2, INXS, Simple Minds, the Smiths etc etc. And house and techno and the whole rave thing was so exciting and happened at exactly the right time. But by the end of the 90s, I didn't like anything, the charts were full of boy bands and garage, the clubs were all playing trance.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Mountain wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:44 am I guess a lot depends on age. I was 15/16 in 1989/90. And heard 808 State's Pacific. And that was it, I pretty much stopped listening to U2, INXS, Simple Minds, the Smiths etc etc. And house and techno and the whole rave thing was so exciting and happened at exactly the right time. But by the end of the 90s, I didn't like anything, the charts were full of boy bands and garage, the clubs were all playing trance.
I've a couple of years on you, Mountain (I was 20 in '89), but a very similar trajectory. Discovered rave and that was it for a few short, glorious years. And agree, the arse-end of the 90s was f**king grim!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Rook wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:14 am You must be a lot older than me because the early 90's music scene to me was awesome.

I was still at school, coming up to leaving and going onto college.

The air was rife with Nirvana,Manic Street Preachers,Sugar, Fugazi, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam,TAD, Pavement, Babes in Toyland, There were loads of exciting bands to my young self.

And MTV was awesome during the early 90's too.
I was late twenties in the early 90s, grown up with punk, goth and metal, also liked 60s psychedelia and 70s prog, ska and reggae. I hated hip hop and rave stuff, I just thought it was vacuous shite. Grunge was ok, but it lacked the originality and bite of the post punk guitar music from a decade earlier. Highlights at the time were Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, Massive Attack, Portishead. Very late 90s, early 00s is when music gets interesting again, for me, with post rock and alt country.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

I loved the early nineties, and I think 1993 was just about the high-water mark before everything fell away into the late 90's which were a wasteland.

I didn't care much for hip-hop or electronica, but I liked the massive leap in recording technology and sound quality that CDs ushered in at the time. For example, it was interesting to hear the evolution from angry, alienated low-fi Dinosaur Jr on You're Living All Over Me, to J Mascis in the studio with a budget with Where You Been. I always think of Dire Strait's Brothers In Arms as the poster child for digital recording. It was the first record anyone who bought a CD player spun to showcase the technology. By 1993 it was ubiquitous, and we were seeing some interesting results.

This isn't to say I was a huge fan of digital recording. I don't think I had my own CD player until 1994 or so and I still listened to plenty of lo-fi, I know all the lyrics to Guided by Voices' 1993 release, Vampire on Titus, and still remember how to play a few of the tracks from banging around on the guitar while it spun endlessly in my apartment even though it was aggressively low-fi.

Anyway, lots of worthy nominations made in round 1 and so far in round 2. Surprised no one went with the pieces of the Pixies who seem popular on the board. Last Splash and Frank Black were both great records. So were Exile in Guyville, Painful, Anodyne, Saturation, Five Days in July, and On the Mouth.

But I'm gonna go with Kerosene Hat by Cracker. I wasn't sure of the switch from Camper to Cracker at the time. But the sound grew on me and they kept me going through the wasteland of the late 90's.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It's not Frank Black's best solo work imo, but I did consider it. Bluefinger maybe his best solo effort
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The change to CDs and digital was one of the things which alienated me from new music in the 90s. I resisted getting a CD player for as long as possible because I didn't like the clinical sound. Neil Young's Ragged Glory and Sleeps With Angels kept me sane. Brothers In Arms was like bleach in the ears!
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

I was still buying cassette tapes in 1993. I didn't get a CD player until about 1997.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
MikeEnglandisMyHero
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by MikeEnglandisMyHero »

Some really good albums this year.

I'm going with the:

The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

U2 - Zooropa :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

I wasn't a fan of Brothers in Arms either, but it seemed like if you bought a CD player it was included because everyone with a disc player had a copy of the album.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

My first CD was Naughty by Nature
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Ha! Not what I would have chosen. My first was Decade, because my LPs were scuffed to hell. But I know you're not a fan of Neil.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

onemoreslogan wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:10 am Ha! Not what I would have chosen. My first was Decade, because my LPs were scuffed to hell. But I know you're not a fan of Neil.
Some of us are massive fans of one of the greatest singer/songwriters though.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Collective Soul 'Hints, Allegations, & Things Left Unsaid'
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:17 am Some of us are massive fans of one of the greatest singer/songwriters though.
But you can't put that whiney voiced recording artist (no way I can call him a singer) in that category.... :P :P