Burnley v Leeds - News/Team/Reports/Ratings...

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Burnley v Leeds - News/Team/Reports/Ratings...

Post by 1964white »

Three games in a week seems to be the norm for Leeds in the champs & with our progression in the Capital One Cup

Kenny

Byram Peltier Pearce Drury

Hall Brown Austin Tonge

Varney Diouf
MOTliam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Burnley v Leeds - News/Team/Reports/Ratings...

Post by MOTliam »

Starting to get a little bit annoyed with any team list. No matter how we on the forum (may not been writing for long but have been reading for over a year and half). think the team should set up they manage to still set the team up in the most weird fashion. We have dedicated positionists (is that a word?) and yet we decide to throw people all over the pitch regardless of how leaky our defence is. I'm saying this as I watch BJ score a goal from Snodds on MOTD. We've always had a class attack who can score goals for fun. How long is it going to take before we stick the plug in our defence? The coaches are just not good. Sorry every time I actually get a chance to post I seem to rant...Serves me right with the Talisker...
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Time to drop Diouf. We have become one trick ponies, he is slowing us down and starting to get over heated. Let's play as a team. Let's play down both sides of the pitch and let's do it with a bit of pace and heart. In short let the dogs off the leash warlock.
MOTliam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MOTliam »

white.riot wrote:Time to drop Diouf. We have become one trick ponies, he is slowing us down and starting to get over heated. Let's play as a team. Let's play down both sides of the pitch and let's do it with a bit of pace and heart. In short let the dogs off the leash warlock.
completely agree. It's nice to play some on the floor football and quickly. shame we've not got any speed up front.

At least we're trying...
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Think Diouf needs some games off. Would love to get Green back doing the things he's capable of. Wouldn't mind seeing Poleon recalled either, he's been playing really well from what I gather.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:Time to drop Diouf. We have become one trick ponies, he is slowing us down and starting to get over heated. Let's play as a team. Let's play down both sides of the pitch and let's do it with a bit of pace and heart. In short let the dogs off the leash warlock.
So drop our only quality player, probably our likelist scorer/creator of goals/hold onto the ball...it's upto the other players to makes runs off the ball as they did v the Saints
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote:
So drop our only quality player, probably our likelist scorer/creator of goals/hold onto the ball...it's upto the other players to makes runs off the ball as they did v the Saints
You make great claims like 'only' for Diouf which really don't hold water. We have players in our team from the Prem. We have good young lads and we have players who have cut it in the Champs over the years. Diouf is so good, that even with other 'quality' players around him he was relegated. I'm tired of playing everything into Diouf in the corners, I'm tired of watching him hold onto the ball too long, I'm tired of watching him try to beat his man again when he should release the ball. I believe he is out of place in the side and would like to see us give it a go without him. With him we are hardly a lean mean points gathering machine, worse, as his influence grows the other players are shrinking into their shells while he looks to be moving ever closer to losing it on the pitch. While he pulls the strings our marionettes are sliding down the league. This must feel like déjà vu for spitter. A final point, he is one of the reasons why Becchio isn't scoring ( I discount Friday's in off which was clearly Brown's goal). How many crosses from Diouf have found Becchio's head? Even better question, how many crosses from Diouf beat the first man/are threatening? Diouf would not be playing for lufc for peanuts if he was the game changer some think he is. He's in the way IMO. I'd like to see us give it a right good go without him. There's a team trying to get out from under his yoke I believe. He will cost Warlock his job way things are going. We need to speed things up.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:
You make great claims like 'only' for Diouf which really don't hold water. We have players in our team from the Prem. We have good young lads and we have players who have cut it in the Champs over the years. Diouf is so good, that even with other 'quality' players around him he was relegated. I'm tired of playing everything into Diouf in the corners, I'm tired of watching him hold onto the ball too long, I'm tired of watching him try to beat his man again when he should release the ball. I believe he is out of place in the side and would like to see us give it a go without him. With him we are hardly a lean mean points gathering machine, worse, as his influence grows the other players are shrinking into their shells while he looks to be moving ever closer to losing it on the pitch. While he pulls the strings our marionettes are sliding down the league. This must feel like déjà vu for spitter. A final point, he is one of the reasons why Becchio isn't scoring ( I discount Friday's in off which was clearly Brown's goal). How many crosses from Diouf have found Becchio's head? Even better question, how many crosses from Diouf beat the first man/are threatening? Diouf would not be playing for lufc for peanuts if he was the game changer some think he is. He's in the way IMO. I'd like to see us give it a right good go without him. There's a team trying to get out from under his yoke I believe. He will cost Warlock his job way things are going. We need to speed things up.
Your opinion mate !

I personally think we'd have been in the bottom six without his presence in the team, i maybe wrong though :duno:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

One other point WR when Leeds were going well two years ago we had young players reaching their prime in Beckford, Howson, Gradel, Johnson, Snoddy, all capable of creating & scoring goals & a good mix of power, strength, pace, trickery, players that were never replaced at the time of their departures....what have we got now ?

Diouf who has quality with no pace

Byram with plenty of skills/energy/enthusiasm & such maturity for one so young

Tonge has a touch of quality with a sweet right peg BUT has been carrying a painful shoulder injury for the last four games

Warnock has alot less to work with though he needs to get his act together with his questionable decisions us fans have difficulty getting our heads around !
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote:One other point WR when Leeds were going well two years ago we had young players reaching their prime in Beckford, Howson, Gradel, Johnson, Snoddy, all capable of creating & scoring goals & a good mix of power, strength, pace, trickery, players that were never replaced at the time of their departures....what have we got now ?

Diouf who has quality with no pace

Byram with plenty of skills/energy/enthusiasm & such maturity for one so young

Tonge has a touch of quality with a sweet right peg BUT has been carrying a painful shoulder injury for the last four games

Warnock has alot less to work with though he needs to get his act together with his questionable decisions us fans have difficulty getting our heads around !
When you make comparisons you need to include the whole side not just the ones which help your case. Warlock has chosen to put his eggs in the defensive basket. Larry by accident and/or design opted for attack. He inherited his best players and found Gradel. Warlock sold his best central midfield player and spent his money on Pelts (why, he treats him shockingly) and a goalie. Everyone says Pearce is better than any CB Larry had and folk love Lees. Add to that a solid LB Warlock chooses to ignore and Rudy, at least one poster on here thinks him better than Howson. I don't think him anywhere near as good but that's just my opinion. Truth is Rudy is becoming a bit of a cult ( for me he can't handle pace). Add to that a goal scoring machine at CF if used properly (Warlock is wasting Becchio playing as he does), Ross ( when fit), the wonderful Byram and White ( who is being destroyed by Warlock as a left footed right winger) and things look a whole lot better than the picture you paint. That's before I mention Tongue and Pugh ( badly handled again) both from the Prem and both part of Stoke's established Prem side. Colin is in the process of cocking up IMO and in Diouf I believe he is developing a problem for himself and the team. Lets play Byram/Tongue/Rudy/brown or Green/ White across midfield. Lets use Pelts at RB and encourage him to overlap. And let's use Becchio up front on his own where he thrives. The key is bursting from midfield at pace. Can't do that with Diouf IMO.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

.............kenny
Lees..Pearce..kisnorbo..drury
........Austin...Tonge.
Hall........Byram........white
.............Varney

I want something different. Lets go with some pace. Lets not go with the usual set up. From the out, let's push forward, lets play the ball around and let's use our midfield.

Pelts either needs a right kick up the arse and to play at RB or drop him to the bench for a game. Pearce needs to be captain.

Diouf and Becchio can be introduced around the 60-70 mark to add a bit of class against tired defenders.

Byram is pretty much class anywhere you put him, he has a creative outlet, lets see how he goes picking players out. Varney is really all that is left who can add some dimension to our game.

I am just sick of the slow, long ball crap. We are not getting the results to justify the way we are trying to play, so bring on a shorter, higher tempo game plan!
Last edited by Kyle_5351 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Kyle_5351 wrote:.............kenny
Lees..Pearce..kisnorbo..drury
........Austin...Tonge.
Hall........Byram........white
.............Varney

I want something different. Lets go with some pace. Lets not go with the usual set up. From the out, let's push forward, lets play the ball around and let's use our midfield.

Pelts either needs a right kick up the arse and to play at LB or drop him to the bench for a game. Pearce needs to be captain.

Diouf and Becchio can be introduced around the 60-70 mark to add a bit of class against tired defenders.

Byram is pretty much class anywhere you put him, he has a creative outlet, lets see how he goes picking players out. Varney is really all that is left who can add some dimension to our game.

I am just sick of the slow, long ball crap. We are not getting the results to justify the way we are trying to play, so bring on a shorter, higher tempo game plan!
"Pelts needs to play at LB"????

No man, never again. You obviously didn't see the Brighton game, he was woeful on the left. Get him back in his natural position as an overlapping RB
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

Guildford White wrote:
"Pelts needs to play at LB"????

No man, never again. You obviously didn't see the Brighton game, he was woeful on the left. Get him back in his natural position as an overlapping RB
Mistype. Sorry for that. Obviously why I was stating it.

Corrected. Thanks.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:
When you make comparisons you need to include the whole side not just the ones which help your case. Warlock has chosen to put his eggs in the defensive basket. Larry by accident and/or design opted for attack. He inherited his best players and found Gradel. Warlock sold his best central midfield player and spent his money on Pelts (why, he treats him shockingly) and a goalie. Everyone says Pearce is better than any CB Larry had and folk love Lees. Add to that a solid LB Warlock chooses to ignore and Rudy, at least one poster on here thinks him better than Howson. I don't think him anywhere near as good but that's just my opinion. Truth is Rudy is becoming a bit of a cult ( for me he can't handle pace). Add to that a goal scoring machine at CF if used properly (Warlock is wasting Becchio playing as he does), Ross ( when fit), the wonderful Byram and White ( who is being destroyed by Warlock as a left footed right winger) and things look a whole lot better than the picture you paint. That's before I mention Tongue and Pugh ( badly handled again) both from the Prem and both part of Stoke's established Prem side. Colin is in the process of cocking up IMO and in Diouf I believe he is developing a problem for himself and the team. Lets play Byram/Tongue/Rudy/brown or Green/ White across midfield. Lets use Pelts at RB and encourage him to overlap. And let's use Becchio up front on his own where he thrives. The key is bursting from midfield at pace. Can't do that with Diouf IMO.
Be interesting to see the outcome if we tried your proposed team...unconvinced we'd retain the ball enough to control a game as is the case now but hey-ho lets give it a go. I don't rate the likes of White, Ross & Becchio as much as many of our fans. Austin is knackered, Peltier doesn't look like a full back to me, Pugh is poor, Green is still an unknown quantity.
Kenny, Byram, Pearce, Diouf, Tonge have been our best players of the season so far, oh & the old man Brown has also done well of late !
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

1964white wrote:
Be interesting to see the outcome if we tried your proposed team...unconvinced we'd retain the ball enough to control a game as is the case now but hey-ho lets give it a go. I don't rate the likes of White, Ross & Becchio as much as many of our fans. Austin is knackered, Peltier doesn't look like a full back to me, Pugh is poor, Green is still an unknown quantity.
Kenny, Byram, Pearce, Diouf, Tonge have been our best players of the season so far, oh & the old man Brown has also done well of late !
The only problem is; we aren't getting results. Surely time for a change? I would agree the five players you mentioned have been the better of the bunch, however it isn't getting us anywhere at the moment.

I would like to see Byram, Austin, Tonge, Hall across the midfield. Tonge to push through the middle and have a crack on goal and Austin to stay back, where he doesn't need to worry about tracking back. Byram + Hall should give us pace, plus some attacking flair.

Worth a go, yes?
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Well for one who will be making the trip over the pennines the team i would like to see out but dont expect i will would be
Kenny
Peltier Lees Pearce Drury

Byram Green Austin Norris

Hall Bechhio
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

white.riot wrote:
Think you maybe right we were not doing to bad be Diouf arrived admit we had McCormack so lets go back and give it a go.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kyle_5351 wrote:
The only problem is; we aren't getting results. Surely time for a change? I would agree the five players you mentioned have been the better of the bunch, however it isn't getting us anywhere at the moment.

I would like to see Byram, Austin, Tonge, Hall across the midfield. Tonge to push through the middle and have a crack on goal and Austin to stay back, where he doesn't need to worry about tracking back. Byram + Hall should give us pace, plus some attacking flair.

Worth a go, yes?
unsure tbh :? drop our best player who has scored 5 goals with a few assists on his LU cv already....I lost the will to live in the last four games i've seen !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Think you maybe right we were not doing to bad be Diouf arrived admit we had McCormack so lets go back and give it a go.
We were hopeless early doors v Blackpool & Cardiff
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

1964white wrote:
unsure tbh :? drop our best player who has scored 5 goals with a few assists on his LU cv already....I lost the will to live in the last four games i've seen !
Yes he has scored 5 goals, but if we can score more than those 5 goals having other players on the pitch, why not go with that option? I am not saying that it would happen. I think Diouf is quality on the ball, but he is too slow to play the line. We need him in the hold behind the forward line to play in other players.

I would rather see him distribute the ball quickly and with quality, then to hold onto it and try create something out of nothing.

Our system is obviously not working how it is, see we need to change. Whether that is Diouf starting on the bench or him starting deeper, it needs to be one or the other.