Victory over Blackburn leaves Leeds United only ten points from promotion

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Victory over Blackburn leaves Leeds United only ten points from promotion

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Blackburn Rovers 1 (Armstrong 48)
Leeds United 3 (Bamford 7, Phillips 40, Klich 53)

Saturday 4th July 2020 15:00 | Ewood Park

Ups and downs, the clue is in the song! Even in this short spell of games back Leeds United have provided us with plenty of those. The excitement of football finally returning was dashed in South Wales as Leeds United lost two nil to Cardiff City. Our place at the top of the table lost as we looked over our shoulders at Brentford, the nerves and anxieties of last season returning. The Fulham game saw confidence restored, a convincing second half performance, back on top of the table. Luton provided another wobble, a game we should have won against a team who lost five nil this weekend. Not the worst result but Brentford still coming on strong.

Patrick Bamford’s goal after seven minutes on Saturday should have settled the nerves but I didn’t really. Mateusz Klich robbed Lewis Travis, setting up Bamford who coolly finished. A foul on Travis? Probably, the Blackburn defence certainly thought so but it’s not often a decision falls in our favour so I’m happy to take one. Blackburn, to their credit, had come to play and kept carving out uncharacteristic gaps in the Leeds United defence. First Sam Gallagher waltzed through and pulled one just past the post before he opened up another gap, this time setting up Lewis Holtby who rattled one off the woodwork. Meslier looked beaten on both occasions but once again luck fell Leeds United’s way.

The storm weathered Leeds settled into the game, the defence tightened and the gaps disappeared. The presence of Helder Costa on the right wing was barely missed as Jack Harrison and Luke Alyling created plenty of opportunities. On the opposite side of the pitch Barry Douglas was a more than adequate replacement for the injured Stuart Dallas, a man of the match worthy performance say many. Whilst Alioski didn’t quite have the impact he has had from the bench in recent games he was steady, plugging away for 90 minutes like the Duracel Bunny he is. Klich put his poor post lockdown form behind him, back to his best? Controlling the middle of the park alongside Kalvin Phillips and it was Phillips who helped put ease the tension five minutes before half time.

Leeds United’s set pieces had become the subject of a certain about of ridicule this season, over 300 corners taken and only eight goals in return. It was a statistic that Kalvin Phillips had expressed a desire to improve on heading into the weekends game and to be fair delivery was much improved. The first from Phillips was hit into a decent area even if no one managed to get on the end of it. The second from Douglas reminded us what he is cable of, his low ball to the near post met by Luke Ayling who rattled one against the post. When Tyler Roberts won a free kick thirty yards out on the forty-minute mark it was Douglas who Leeds fans were clamouring to take it. But it was not to be as Phillips stepped up to take, answering any questions fans may have had as the ball nestled into the top left-hand corner of the goal to give Leeds a two-nil lead. Leeds United’s first goal from a direct free kick since 26th December 2017 against Burton Albion! (Thanks @lufcstats)

The two-goal cushion wasn’t to last far into the second half as Adam Armstrong halved the deficit soon after half-time with a wonderful free-kick of his own from a similar position. There are plenty of question marks over whether it was actually a free kick or not, Phillips appeared to do little wrong when challenging for the ball but as with Klich’s challenge for Bamford’s goal, these things usually even themselves out. The final forty minutes of the game could have been a bit edgy but Mateusz Klich bagged a goal of his own to restore the deficit just five minutes later. Jack Harrison cut in from the right wing, his deflected shot finding its way to Klich on the edge of the area who in turn unleashed one that crept under the keepers arms.

The introduction of Pablo Hernandez for Tyler Roberts after the hour is as close to shutting up shop as Marcelo Bielsa is ever going to get but it had the effect of handing the control of the midfield to Leeds. The visitors had the majority of chances in the remaining half an hour, one of the clearest with just 15 minutes to go through as Patrick Bamford broke through the Blackburn defence only to be brought down just outside the area by Walton. The keeper received a yellow card for his intervention, but it surely should have been a red if he was the last man? Another bad decision for referee Rob Jones to chalk down that afternoon. The resulting free kick as duly taken by Douglas who forced a good save from Walton.

With victory secured and three points in the bag Leeds enter the final five fixtures of the season needing only ten points to secure promotion, three wins and a draw will do it. The game against Charlton on the final day of the season will be Marcelo Bielsa’s 100th in charge. It would be fitting if that was the day, in our 100th season, that we lifted the league title. But I’ll be honest, I hope we can wrap it up well before then, I’m not sure my nerves can last until the 22nd July!

Leeds Line-up:
Meslier, Ayling, White, Cooper, Douglas, Phillips, Harrison, Roberts (Hernández 61), Klich (Shackleton 89), Alioski, Bamford

Unused Subs: Poveda, Berardi, Miazek, Struijk, Gotts, Davis, Stevens

Leeds United, Blackburn Rovers, Bielsa, Bamford, Phillips, Klick, Douglas, Promotion, Ewood Park
rab_rant

Re: Victory over Blackburn leaves Leeds United only ten points from promotion

Post by rab_rant »

I find it interesting that out of the last 5 games both Leeds and Brentford have to play the same four teams. Barnsley Stoke Derby and Charlton. So we have to do better or the same in all of those games to stop Brentford making a challenge.

it would be great if Brentford tired their opponents out so we would have an easier game against them (we draw 1-1 with Luton and the next game they get thrashed 5-0 for example)

But it would be sods law if it were the opposite way around and we tired teams out and gave Brentford the advantage.

it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Thoughts anyone???
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:09 pm I find it interesting that out of the last 5 games both Leeds and Brentford have to play the same four teams. Barnsley Stoke Derby and Charlton. So we have to do better or the same in all of those games to stop Brentford making a challenge.

it would be great if Brentford tired their opponents out so we would have an easier game against them (we draw 1-1 with Luton and the next game they get thrashed 5-0 for example)

But it would be sods law if it were the opposite way around and we tired teams out and gave Brentford the advantage.

it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Thoughts anyone???

For us the worst of it is Thursday home to Hull and then Sunday away to Swansea. Leeds should have flatly refused to agree to that as it is just crazy, especially as we are playing on the Wednesday. Three games in six days and four in 10.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:16 pm For us the worst of it is Thursday home to Hull and then Sunday away to Swansea. Leeds should have flatly refused to agree to that as it is just crazy, especially as we are playing on the Wednesday. Three games in six days and four in 10.
Everyone's in the same boat; five games in the sixteen days from 7 July to the 22nd. The extended travel to Wales is a bit disconcerting, though.

Very encouraged that some on our bench are stepping up. Douglas was a revelation. Barely used Pablo and didn't use Berardi at all while Costa and Dallas recuperated. This is where our superior conditioning will tell (I hope).

First goals are of supreme importance from here on out.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:31 pm Very encouraged that some on our bench are stepping up. Douglas was a revelation. Barely used Pablo and didn't use Berardi at all while Costa and Dallas recuperated. This is where our superior conditioning will tell (I hope).

Douglas stepping in like that is extremely encouraging. Sounds like Dallas and Costa should be available soon as well.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

10 points from 5 games is a bit more than only
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

faaip wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:54 pm 10 points from 5 games is a bit more than only

Two points per game, we've averaged 1.9 so far this season, 1.75 since we've come back.

So yeah, it is a bit more than 'only' but that's the worst case scenario.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I put in a different thread about Derby and how they could play a massive part in our promotion bid as they play both WBA and Brentford next week and by my maths if and it’s. big IF they beat both of them and we win our next 2 games it would leave us needing 1 point from 3 games to gain promotion... Derby have the best home record after us so the Bees will hopefully have a battle on their hands. Ultimately it’s down to us to win our games, keep calm and keep plugging away, no silly mistakes or red cards.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Lets not get carried away. We only managed 4 points from our last 5 matches last season! :?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

We don't really need to get the 10 points ourselves though. It's a combination of points we get and points other teams drop.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:13 am We don't really need to get the 10 points ourselves though. It's a combination of points we get and points other teams drop.

Absolutely, Brentford lose one or West Brom a couple and that tally comes down to a much more atainable level.

I still think we win two, draw one of the last five we should be there.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:20 am Absolutely, Brentford lose one or West Brom a couple and that tally comes down to a much more atainable level.

I still think we win two, draw one of the last five we should be there.
Yep seven points will do it unless Fulham win all their games or Brentford win four and draw one. And that's on the assumption that West From will get enough points too.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

If we get 7pts and Brentford win 4 and draw one then we will both be on 85pts but Brentford would finish above us on goal difference. If we had the better goal difference there would effectively be 7pts i.e. more than two wins between us, but as it stands there is only effectively 5pts i.e. less than two wins between us.
I think we will probably get more than 7pts and I can’t see Brentford getting 13 out of 15 pts so we should be ok anyway 👍🏻