Premier league recruitment

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Overall do you feel our Premier league recruitment has been good enough ?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:54 am

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 13

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Premier league recruitment

Post by Cjay »

A simple thread.

We have spent over £140million since promotion.

Rate our Premier league signings out of 10 with 10 being amazing, 1 being a total flop and 5 bang average

Do you feel each was a worthwhile signing and good value for money as an individual?

And then the poll question

Rodrigo Moreno-£27mil

Raphinha-£17mil

Robin Koch-£13mil

Diego Llorente-£18mil

Dan James-£25mil

Junior Firpo-£14mil

Helder Costa-£21mil+(loan fees)

Jack Harrison-£11-20mil (loan fees)

Illan Meslier-£6mil+(loan fees)

Kristoffer Klaesson-£1mil
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Premier league recruitment

Post by SG90 »

Only Raph and Meslier have been good signings, Llorente too, but he is far too injury prone. Sad state of affairs how much money we've wasted.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Raph, Llorente & Meslier, have been the best undoubtably, can't comment on Klaesson.
Rodrigo isn't quite with it, I'd get rid otherwise we'll have another useless roberts on our books, stealing a wage which we can hardly afford.
Firpo and James have a lot to prove, an awful lot, Firpo should be able to get better, James in my book is just a speedy winger.
Koch has the ability when not injured, hopefully when fit again he'll prove to be a good buy, his injuries are the reason we stick with calmity cooper.
Costa, well, enough said on that useless lump the better, who honestly as fan even wanted him ?
Harrison, another waste, I didn't want either, another anomaly, has the ability but, hardly ever uses it, I just knew when we eventually signed him he was on the steady downward slope to becoming costa number 2.
The midfielder we desperately need, ah, there's the crux , the 3 stooges playing with our premier league survival haven't a clue as one, I thought the DoF was there to do a job, his job, that's his title right ? Ah no, not quite, it seems, he, the DoF, needs to ok his decisions with 2 more men , disrupting their day to day jobs, oh, we'll all sit down and have a natter about who to bring in , cue the chuckle brothers, "from me to you"
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Rodrigo - An Orta special this one, a panic buy and a massive waste of money so far. I live in hope that he may improve but I fear it is a false hope. 1/10

Raphinha - Potentially Orta’s Best Buy, should make a very good profit when we sell him in the summer. 9/10

Robin Koch - Could be ok when not injured, difficult to give a proper assessment as he has been injured so much. May be an option for DCM when we sell Phillips in the summer. 5/10

Diego Llorente - Again injury prone so can’t give him any more than a 6 but would have if he wasn’t. 6/10

Dan James - We didn’t really need another winger and £25m is a lot to live up to. Too early to rate but I suspect we probably paid too much for him.

Junior Firpo - Again too early to assess but looked ok for the 1st time this season against Watford. No real improvement on Alioski evident at the moment though.

Helda Costa - Definitely one of Orta’s most ridiculous purchases. By the time we bought him he had already shown that he was not good enough. I believe we did have an option to not buy him so why that option was not taken up I will never know. 0/10

Jack Harrison - We know he can play better than he has shown so far this season but not worth anything like £20m probably not even £11m but at least that figure would be just about acceptable. 4/10

Iliad Meslier - vying with Raphinha to be Orta’s top buy, already being worth 3 or 4 times what we paid for him. I just hope he continues to develop as he has been doing. - 8/10

Kristoffer Klaesson - Don’t know much about him but at £1m probably worth a punt .5/10
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

I'm not sure what purpose Rodrigo serves. Where does he fit in the system? And if you aren't sure where you fit how can you be expected to play well?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Rodrigo Moreno-£27mil - 6

Raphinha-£17mil - 10

Robin Koch-£13mil - 8

Diego Llorente-£18mil - 7

Dan James-£25mil - 8

Junior Firpo-£14mil - 7

Helder Costa-£21mil+(loan fees) - 6

Jack Harrison-£11-20mil (loan fees) - 8

Illan Meslier-£6mil+(loan fees) - 10

Kristoffer Klaesson-£1mil - 9
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Rodrigo Moreno-£27mil
2/10

A big flop for me, a puzzling signing who once the fanfare of him being a Spanish international died down you realised it made no sense. I strongly suspect a bit of a vanity signing from Orta and Radz and one that hasn't worked at all.

Raphinha-£17mil
9/10

The biggest success, can't praise him enough and Orta's biggest triumph by a long way. His success almost makes up for the flops.

Robin Koch-£13mil
3/10

He has hardly played, can't mark him any higher just based on that.

Diego Llorente-£18mil
5/10

When he plays he is an 8/10 but his injury prone record and reputation was well deserved, the club knew this and still took the risk. Its no good being an 8/10 if you only play 50% of the games.

Dan James-£25mil
N/a

To early to judge but unfortunately first impressions aren't great. My view of James before he arrived was of a sprinter who would close down and work hard but who would be infuriating with his end product, that's exactly what he has done. I don't see a £25mil player there

Junior Firpo-£14mil
N/a

Similar to James, to early to judge but first impressions aren't great. I am a Barcelona fan as mentioned before and had seen Firpo before, tried to be positive but his reputation for being a poor defender was well deserved.

Helder Costa-£21mil+(loan fees)
2/10

Flashed brightly once or twice but value for money wasn't there at all. Wolves fans warned us in advance and they were right. Was part of our promotion winning team but he should have been so much more.

Jack Harrison-£11-20mil (loan fees)

6/10

He has improved JH in his defence and we could probably sell him for similar to what we paid. I don't think he has the level of end product you would hope for and he benefits from the style of play being so attacking meaning he gets tons of chances to create and score. But one of the better signings in our PL era all be it a bit of a cheat since he has been on loan.

Illan Meslier-£6mil+(loan fees)
8/10

A bargain pure and simple, well done from the recruitment team because Mes has been one of the success stories and he will only get better. Hopefully we can keep hold of him.

Kristoffer Klaesson-£1mil
N/a

Not played so can't comment.

Average score is roughly a 5 which is bang average, haven't included Firpo, James and Klaesson but had I done then it would have been below that.

I don't think value for money has been there and players.like Raph and Mes greatly cover for the poor signings and raise the score up.

I don't think the club be that Orta, Radz, Bielsa or all 3 have made the most of their money.

Look at the players were were reportedly looking at, De Paul, Lang, Cunha.

2 lf those are now at one of the top teams in Europe and the other is being linked to them now.

Our recruitment decisions are utterly baffling at times.
Signed

King Cjay

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

What a difference a season makes.

Rodrigo Moreno-£27mil (3) I feel for the kid. What was he told when he signed? Where was he bought to play? Was it a Seth Johnson moment where Rodrigo was told of the fee and wages and his mind was made up instantly? Whatever it was its not worked out for the kid and its a lot of money to piss down the drain.

Raphinha-£17mil (10) The way he's just smashed t for Brazil says it all.

Robin Koch-£13mil (6) Yes but no but. I think him and Phillips would work well together like Rice & Kalv in that DM. Personally i thought he playeshis best football at CB so far. Still hope.

Diego Llorente-£18mil (8) When he's in we are a better side no doubt. Everytime he goes down i fear another stint out.

Dan James-£25mil (6) Too early to judge him for us. He needs a season to settle in but on current form we can't wait for that. I think he will come good, how good only time will tell.

Junior Firpo-£14mil same as above

Helder Costa-£21mil+(loan fees) (1) In true yorkshire fashion....HOW MUCH! What was Valencia thinking? Atleast Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Jack Harrison-£11-20mil (loan fees) (6) For Bielsa to throw James straight into the action. Jack must be underperforming in training. Inconsistent.

Illan Meslier-£6mil+(loan fees) (10) This kid has faced the most shots in the PL. Its great practice for the kid. He has got the potential and time to be one of the best in the world. I don't look at the goalie for answers it can't be easy with no protection in front of him.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Bump.

Anymore votes/opinions
Signed

King Cjay

VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Agree with most of the assessments.

I would add that we have not strengthened the key midfield positions. We all knew Pablo would leave a big hole and it’s still there.
Midfield is the key to all good sides. We haven’t sorted it so we aren’t!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Not sorted midfield since Sied left.....pathetic !

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Wasn't Costa 16 mill? Not been a good signing but so hope we didn't spend 21 on him!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:26 am Wasn't Costa 16 mill? Not been a good signing but so hope we didn't spend 21 on him!
The reports were £16mil but when we were promoted with Fulham the Wolves accounts showed they had received a promotion bonus of £5mil each for Costa and Cavaleiro.

The Wolves media reported it.
Signed

King Cjay

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Why are you including Costa ? - he was bought when we were in the Championship. He also helped us get up to the Premier League, so money well spent.

Also why so harsh on Harrison. He had the best goal contributions of any other winger in the Premier league last season (including Raphinha). £11M well spent if you ask me.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Rodrigo Moreno - good player just not for us - 5

Raphinha- got us out of trouble a few times and at the moment the only goal threat we have, future superstar - 9

Robin Koch- almost an n/a as feel like we have hardly seen him honestly forget about him half the time. Too injury prone. Would love to have him and llorente at centre back but it’s not to be it seems. - 5

Diego Llorente- decent when in a settled back line ideally with Struijk, can get a bit panicky though - 7

Dan James- we don’t really play in a way that suits his style and pace, decent player but yet to see the best of him - 6

Junior Firpo-£14mil - was looking better as he gets used to the prem, if we still had alioski he would of been dropped by now though - 6

Helder Costa- started well last season before going back to his usual self - 4

Jack Harrison - only signed him this season, judging him on that alone he needs a run in starting 11 to get the best from him. - 4

Illan Meslier - decent keeper and great prospect just not sure if he has the experience yet. Wouldn’t swap him though - 7

Kristoffer Klaesson- n/a
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:17 pm Why are you including Costa ? - he was bought when we were in the Championship. He also helped us get up to the Premier League, so money well spent.

Also why so harsh on Harrison. He had the best goal contributions of any other winger in the Premier league last season (including Raphinha). £11M well spent if you ask me.
I've been saying that for ages, and also agree re- Harrison who's had a injury wrecked start to his season... Both very cheap
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:26 pm Rodrigo Moreno - good player just not for us - 5

Raphinha- got us out of trouble a few times and at the moment the only goal threat we have, future superstar - 9

Robin Koch- almost an n/a as feel like we have hardly seen him honestly forget about him half the time. Too injury prone. Would love to have him and llorente at centre back but it’s not to be it seems. - 5

Diego Llorente- decent when in a settled back line ideally with Struijk, can get a bit panicky though - 7

Dan James- we don’t really play in a way that suits his style and pace, decent player but yet to see the best of him - 6

Junior Firpo-£14mil - was looking better as he gets used to the prem, if we still had alioski he would of been dropped by now though - 6

Helder Costa- started well last season before going back to his usual self - 4

Jack Harrison - only signed him this season, judging him on that alone he needs a run in starting 11 to get the best from him. - 4

Illan Meslier - decent keeper and great prospect just not sure if he has the experience yet. Wouldn’t swap him though - 7

Kristoffer Klaesson- n/a
You're kidding? A fast break counter attacking team can't use one of the fastest skill players in the prem?
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

faaip wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:41 pm You're kidding? A fast break counter attacking team can't use one of the fastest skill players in the prem?
Ideally yes but I’m only going on games he has played in and we aren’t really managing to play like that at the moment, he hasn’t had much opportunity to run at defenders maybe because most attacks go down Raph’s side.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:09 pm The reports were £16mil but when we were promoted with Fulham the Wolves accounts showed they had received a promotion bonus of £5mil each for Costa and Cavaleiro.

The Wolves media reported it.
ew :roll: :lol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:17 pm Why are you including Costa ? - he was bought when we were in the Championship. He also helped us get up to the Premier League, so money well spent.

Because the club did, when he signed permanently he was counted towards the signings that summer (as was Harrison) so he was technically a Premier League signing.

He played his part in the squad but as a record signing he never shone like one should. He will have been a top earner and never earned that status (and he probably is still a top earner, Jorge Mendes will have gotten him top whack).

We will take a massive loss on him and never got good value for money imo hence the low score as an individual.

Harrison probably could have been a 7 tbh I just find him infuriating. He works very hard, has a great touch, can beat a man with a trick or two but he is as likely to miss an open goal as anyone in a LUFC shirt.

His end product is phenomenally erratic, he did have a decent total (although Raph had a better goal per minute, chance creation, assist per minute etc) he isn't on Raph's level when you get to the nitty gritty (not many are tbf). But I don't know just feel that there should be more, a player like him who until recently hardly missed a minute and yet he has never reached double figures in goals or assists playing in one of the.most attacking teams in the country? Doesn't seem right when you look at the numbers players like Benrahma Bowen etc managed.

As I say probably deserved a point or two higher but just feel there should be more somehow.
Signed

King Cjay