The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th September) Leeds keen to extend Phillips contract amid City interest

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th September) Leeds keen to extend Phillips contract amid City interest

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 16th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds keen to extend Phillips contract amid City interest

Several media platforms are suggesting that Leeds are set to offer Kalvin Phillips a new bumper deal to keep the England ace at Elland Road long term. Since joining Leeds eleven years ago, at the tender age of fourteen, the Yorkshire Pirlo has enjoyed cult status at Elland Road. After breaking into the England squad last year, he has displaced Anfield legend Jordan Henderson, making the midfield anchor role his own. He played an integral part in the Euro's earlier this Summer, helping Southgate's men reach the final.

Now, with seventeen International caps to his name, the 25yo has attracted the attention of Europe's elite, including the blue side of Manchester. Rumours have been circulating that they may be lining up a 100 m offer for the Leeds born star. Phillips signed a five-year deal back in 2019 after having his head turned by Aston Villa. Fortunately for Leeds, Victor Orta talked some sense into the lad.

Is £100m too good to turn down, especially if Leeds find it difficult to get out of their slump? The money, if reinvested, could buy three top drawer players! We could have bought Cunha, Nandez and had enough left over to snap up Ward-Prowse from Southampton!

Pundits slam FA decision

Football pundits up and down the land have expressed their utter disbelief following the decision to uphold Pascal Struijk's three game ban. Even injured party Harvey Elliott stated 'Its wrong' following hearing the news. Whilst Leeds Chairman Andrea Radrizzani described the decision as 'inexplicable', pundits were a little more vocal! According to talkSPORT host Trevor Sinclair...

I’ve looked at it several times; I think the referee played on initially until the reaction from Mo Salah. Craig Pawson was then spoken to by Andy Madley, the fourth official; he then said it was a red card. VAR looked at it, they substantiated that, and for me, they’ve all got it wrong. At worst it was a foul, but I think it was a genuine, successful attempt to win the ball cleanly. It was a good tackle, a clean tackle. I think for me the fact they’ve thrown this out and said that ‘no you can’t appeal’. I think they’ve got it wrong.

Fellow radio, and former Scottish icon Ally McCoist added...

They had a chance to absolve that boy of any blame. And they’ve not done it. So that guy will now spend the rest of his career thinking he was responsible in some way shape or form for that injury to Harvey Elliott. Anyone with any level of intelligence can look at that tackle, see it was a horrific injury, but there was no malice in the challenge at all. It’s a shocking decision.

Gary Lineker said...
Hope this is not as serious an injury to Harvey Elliott as it appears. Didn’t look a bad challenge or a red card in normal speed, but without replays it’s hard to be sure. Just a freak accident, I reckon.

Even Gabby Agbonlahor sided with the Leeds defender...
There was one straight after, wasn’t there. Cooper on Mane. They had a chance now. Accept the appeal, you are not banned now and the red card has gone. But, they just held onto it. I just don’t understand. He didn’t mean it. You can tell by his reaction. You can tell by the Liverpool players reaction. When there is a horrific injury, the players run over to the player and start pushing him. They were sort of talking to him like ‘we can understand this was an accident’. You can tell by their reaction, he didn’t mean it.

It has been confirmed that the FA and PGMOL will be giving their written reason behind denying the Leeds United appeal!

Time to intoduce Cresswell?

Would it be too much of a gamble for Charlie Cresswell to start alongside Liam Cooper tomorrow night? The talented 19yo has recently broken into the England U21 squad due to his consistent performances for the U23's, and although a steep learning curve between Premier League 2 and the top flight, has he earnt his chance?

We wouldn't have Pascal Struijk in the first team, had it not been for injuries to Cooper, Llorente, Berardi and Koch, and look at the youngster now! We see teams like Liverpool give their youngsters a chance to blossom. Shouldn't we do the same, especially when the regulars are either injured or off form?

rab_rant

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th September) Leeds keen to extend Phillips stay amid City interest

Post by rab_rant »

Transcript of the Sybil Grimshaw interview with Jurgen Klopp.

Sybil: When the tackle took place Jurgen we saw that you were an animated conversation with the 4th official can you tell us what you were saying to him?

Jurgen: Er..um I was just saying to him that the traffic conditions were absolutely horrible for us getting into Ellen road, and that the journey down from Liverpool was horrendous. I also asked him if he knew any good curry houses or kebab shops in Leeds. He was most helpful.

Sybil: in a recent YouTube video which has now been deleted you were asked what you said to the referee and you stumbled and looked rather sheepish not being able to give a clear answer... were you aware that the cameras were on you and you didn't want to incriminate yourself? Should you not have remained in the technical area and not invaded the pitch?

Jurgen: Well Sybil I was never on the pitch it was just a bad camera angle... and I was lost for words when the interviewer asked me what I spoke to the referee. I am German you know and my command of English is not that good, that is my only excuse.

Sybil: Did what you said to the referee influence the red card, because before you began talking to the 4th official and then to the referee the game was allowed to go on a no foul had been called... and no VAR was called into play to examine the details of the tackle.

Jurgen: Well you see it is like this, I would like to explain it this way, the circumstances were, if you take the longview, and I'm not saying this is correct, the opinions of the pundits will confirm, that after due consideration, and everything is weighed in the balance, there can only be one conclusion. I hope that makes everything clear.

Sybil: clear as mud Jurgen
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th September) Leeds keen to extend Phillips contract amid City interest

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Good to read that the FA are going to give a written reason for their decision. I suspect they have been shamed into it due to the outcry in the media which, for once, is supporting Leeds’ cause. It will make very interesting reading but may take them a while because they are attempting the impossible i.e. to defend the indefensible!

It’ll be Bill and Coops at centre back with Shacks at right back for Newcastle. Shame really because I believe Cresswell will have a big future in the game, whether he’s ready yet for such an important fixture I don’t know but, if it were me, I’d give him a go.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th September) Leeds keen to extend Phillips contract amid City interest

Post by Leeds1000 »

Leeds keen to extend Phillips contract amid City interest:

Can't believe the club would put Kalvin in a position like that. What if he says no? I am looking at it realistically at 25 he will want to move on pretty soon to further his career. Who could resist Citeh and the guaranteed trophies that come with it?

Pundits slam FA decision:

The whole the stinks. Vinny Jones would have never been allowed on the field. I said it at the time Pascal is has honest as they come. You could see how pumped up he was at being left out. It was a case of over exuberance and a determination that i want to see all our players show against the Y.I.Men. We all feel for the kid and he has been exemplary in his conduct since. Accidents happen but some intentional fouls go unpunished, like the one of Raph at the end of last season.

Time to introduce Cresswell?

Yes but no but. There is no way on this tiny spec on dust Bielsa would thro Cresswell into action against Newcastle. More chance of Rodrigo filling in there. Hey think about it...No pace, can't tackle, can't head.. He would fit right in at the minute. :)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Can't do anything about the Phillips scenario yet as nothing has occured although I did mention t' other day city were interested as a replacement for fernandinho, £120 miliion ought to do it, England international, young, long contract (if United extend which they will) could even make him captain to pop more weight behind it.
We could spend £120 million on the 4 wingers we so deperately need.

FA response don't need to be long winded, I've been given a version of the draft which reads : Because it's Leeds

Cresswell could easily fill in but I doubt he will, I'd put him in instead of cooper but that won't happen, Ayling RB, and pop Shack in midfield for Dallas who is a little below par.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:16 am Good to read that the FA are going to give a written reason for their decision. I suspect they have been shamed into it due to the outcry in the media which, for once, is supporting Leeds’ cause. It will make very interesting reading but may take them a while because they are attempting the impossible i.e. to defend the indefensible!

It’ll be Bill and Coops at centre back with Shacks at right back for Newcastle. Shame really because I believe Cresswell will have a big future in the game, whether he’s ready yet for such an important fixture I don’t know but, if it were me, I’d give him a go.
They are bound to say the referee's decision was backed up by VAR, thus they didn't feel it was appropriate to reverse the decision!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Of all the players at our club, KP is the one who most deserves a new contract and pay increase.

He signed his current contract in 2019, at the time when we'd just had that heartbreaking loss to Lampard's DC, now that shows commitment to LUFC. But a lot has happened since then, we won the Championship and got promoted, KP has performed consistently well in the EPL and established himself as a first choice in our national team and performed well at the Euros.

He'll be the worst paid player in that England team, and will lag behind at least Rodrigo and Bamford at Leeds. So it's reasonable for his agent to request a pay rise. KP is in the driving seat here as he's consistently shown his value to Leeds and England. There will be a queue of clubs looking for players of his calibre and most of them can offer better pay, better players to play with, a greater chance of winning trophies and medals, European football and long term stability at the very top level.

In comparison, only KP assess how important it is for him to stay at Leeds. What are his prospects at Leeds? We're still looking to establish ourselves in the EPL. Is the club ambitious enough to invest in our squad to break into the top 4/6? We're still miles off the top 4. Are we content to just hang around in the bottom half of the PL for several seasons? How much longer will Bielsa be staying? If we do manage to get him to sign a new contract it would be nice to enter a clause that he can only be sold for a figure that's reflective of his current market value, e.g. Grealish cost 100 million and he's not even an established international player.

With the Struijk decision it is despicable of the FA and all, but as I said "Klopp's decision was never gonna be over-ruled by the FA".

I heard a craic that the ref had told the FA appeal committee that he was always gonna give a red card = blatant lies :x

If Newcastle go with two up top, we've usually played a back three against that, which would probably be Ayling, Cooper and Firpo which sounds like a disaster in the making to me. Cresswell might get a run out in the EFL cup due to our injury crisis.

We have a new chant we can sing "f**k off to the Premier League" :lol:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:22 amPundits slam FA decision:

The whole the stinks. Vinny Jones would have never been allowed on the field. I said it at the time Pascal is has honest as they come. You could see how pumped up he was at being left out. It was a case of over exuberance and a determination that i want to see all our players show against the Y.I.Men. We all feel for the kid and he has been exemplary in his conduct since. Accidents happen but some intentional fouls go unpunished, like the one of Raph at the end of last season.
Maybe if Marcelo hadn't dropped Pascal (our 2nd best CB who had a decent game at Burnley), we may not be going through this scenario, also would the scousers have scored their opening goal with so much ease.

Marcelo is obsessed with Cooper, in the PL we have always concede more goals when he's in the middle of our defence, time to put his habitual mindset to bed & play our best XI.

Stick with what worked in the final part of last season Bielsa, just because Coops is our captain doesn't mean he should start.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kp

He deserves a new contract, he has showm himself to be a top player, never saw it coming tbf, i was wrong.

That being said i am convinced KP or Raph will go in the summer. Radz has already said he likes the Leicester model so that pretty much guarantees it. Aslong as the money is right (Leicester always make opposition clubs pay through the nose) then i can live with that if we get the recruitment right.

Unfortunately our success rate isnt good, Rodrigo, Koch even Llorente, only Raph can be called a success really.

Will be a huge test for Orta.

FA.

Were never going to overturn it, slimey 6 teams are still favoured and you cant go against a Liverpool decision, that just isnt allowed. Klopp would have whinged his ass off and Liverpool fans would have stoned some busses and pushed some pensioners into fountains in protest.

Cresswell.

Id be delighted if he got a chance over Square pegs. He wont, we know he wont, its totally pointless to speculate though.

Dallas to right back Ayling to cb Klich to midfield, practically guaranteed because everyone knows that the best way to deal with 1 unavailability is to disrupt 3 positions.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:53 am They are bound to say the referee's decision was backed up by VAR, thus they didn't feel it was appropriate to reverse the decision!
Spot on Elland it will be that or some such cop out, they simply couldn’t justify their decision any other way.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kalvin should be our highest earner.

Kalvin should be our captain.

And given the freedom of the City of Leeds :-D
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I’d be surprised if Kalvin didn’t sign a new contract on a whacking pay rise, it will be a smashing lever for him to get a massive contract when the big guns come knocking in January.
I’m with mental on this, just think of the wingers we could buy with his transfer fee.
Does anybody know, Is there a tongue in cheek emoji I could insert here?
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:50 am Can't do anything about the Phillips scenario yet as nothing has occured although I did mention t' other day city were interested as a replacement for fernandinho, £120 miliion

And I did mention it t'day before (Monday) on the Kalvin Philip's thread a day before thee...so there :) :lol:
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Lose KP and we really would be in the do do. Yes we would get a huge wedge of cash but we all know how long it takes to get players to integrate into the Bielsa way.

The FA decision. When have we been on the positive side of any FA/ EFL decision? If this was a court case it would be thrown out before any trial.

Cresswell at centre back? Given the manager’s loyalty/blind faith in the first team squad I suspect Harrison would be higher in his choices😬
1964white

Post by 1964white »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:30 am Lose KP and we really would be in the do do. Yes we would get a huge wedge of cash but we all know how long it takes to get players to integrate into the Bielsa way.
Radz told folk on Twitter we have Forshaw :roll:
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

we do not want that Forshaw anywhere near the starting lineup
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:41 am Radz told folk on Twitter we have Forshaw :roll:
Blimey.

We are only going in one direction if Forshaw is the solution 😳

Pretty similar if we are going to be reliant on Roberts improving.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:30 am Lose KP and we really would be in the do do. Yes we would get a huge wedge of cash but we all know how long it takes to get players to integrate into the Bielsa way.

The FA decision. When have we been on the positive side of any FA/ EFL decision? If this was a court case it would be thrown out before any trial.

Cresswell at centre back? Given the manager’s loyalty/blind faith in the first team squad I suspect Harrison would be higher in his choices😬
If KP's gone we might already be at the stage where we don't need to worry about integrating anyone into Bielsa's methods ;-)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:20 pm Blimey.

We are only going in one direction if Forshaw is the solution 😳

Pretty similar if we are going to be reliant on Roberts improving.
In the January window Radz will be showcasing our new CB pairing Koch n Llorente :lol:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I was wrong about KP not excepting a new deal why wouldn't he want more money? What he won't do is fall into the Kane Trap and sign on the dotted line without a release clause of £80m. AR will take into consideration he cost nothing.