Pre-season Games - Villarreal v Leeds

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Re: Pre-season Games - Ajax v Leeds. 7.15pm kick-off.

Post by Overman »

hector wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:11 am Let me put you straight on a few things here please.

Out of the 2 of you, Smudge does not have free reign to insult and belittle others, and there is no 'old boys brigade'

In fact you come on here after anyone has a go at Smudge and then join in, and freely insult Smudge with absolutely NO provocation..

So if anyone gets away with it, so far it has been you.

You will note, that Smudge has not replied to your insults and 'digs' and this puts him now on the moral high ground.

Let me assure you, if Smudge was half as insulting to other members as you are to him, there would have been multiple shouts for him to be banned. This has not happened.

If you don't like what he writes (which to be fair is bloody obvious) don't reply, and please do not just jump in and insult him without provocation.

Thank you
If you bother checking it's been quite a while since my last posting. So Hector, clearly it's ok for him to continually insult other posters and deride the opinions of others. A few posters have even decided to call it a day on here, does that not indicate something? I have never emailed the moderators asking for him to be banned. I think your posting lacks impartiality, hence my original point. If you feel the need to ban me for posting this, then please go ahead, as I am completely indifferent.

Thank you
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:04 am has anyone got a list of the results from past pre-seasons?

I just don't get this though because Bielsa is well-known for every training session to require 100 per cent intensity as if it were a game - and so it just doesn't naturally follow to me that he would allow friendlies to be played at such a low intensity/effort level.
There you are Dan.

Our previous friendlies under Bielsa

Hopefully we'll be ready to go with all cylinders firing come the 14th August.

17/07/18 CLF Forest Green Rovers 1 - 2 Leeds United
19/07/18 CLF York City 1 - 1 Leeds United
22/07/18 CLF Southend United 1 - 1 Leeds United
24/07/18 CLF Oxford United 4 - 3 Leeds United
26/07/18 CLF Guiseley 3 - 4 Leeds United
29/07/18 CLF Leeds United 1 - 0 Las Palmas
10/07/19 CLF York City 0 - 5 Leeds United
11/07/19 CLF Guiseley 1 - 2 Leeds United
17/07/19 CLF Manchester United 4 - 0 Leeds United
20/07/19 CLF Western Sydney Wanderers 1 - 2 Leeds United
27/07/19 CLF Cagliari 1 - 1 Leeds United[/color]
1964white

Re: Pre-season Games - Ajax v Leeds.

Post by 1964white »

Have to add the opposition we are facing are far greater than in the past

Real Betis, Ajax & Villarreal (2021 Europa Cup winners) were always going to be tough!
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:56 am There you are Dan.

Unconvincing to say the least. Hopefully we'll be ready to go with all cylinders firing come the 14th August.

17/07/19 CLF Manchester United 4 - 0 Leeds United View events
:tup: Thanks for providing this!!

As you say, maybe the poor pre season shouldn't be any concern at all then - bizarre though!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

We're fans, we want our team to win every game, no matter the competition, no matter the opposition so it stings when we get humped. But it is pre-season, it is about fitness and formation and maybe trying players in different positions. A poor pre-season does not necessarily mean we will have a poor season, nor would a great pre-season mean we were going to sweep all before us. I remember us outplaying and beating PL Newcastle a few pre-seasons back only to then have a mediocre Championship campaign. There's no correlation, imo. That said, I am concerned we haven't got an AMF, but I remain hopeful. To finish, we all get worked up because we care, but that isn't an excuse to take potshots at each other. All Leeds, aren't we??
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:03 am The potential head injury to Shacks is very worrying, let us hope that it is not a severe concussion, indeed not a concussion at all, but he sure looked shaky going off... Was it just me or did it appear as if MB was giving Shacks a bit of a hard time?
I commented on that during the match time as well. I have no idea what Bielsa was saying, but it looked like he was yelling at Shacks to get up. If that was the case really poor stuff from MB, the lad got a serious blow. But I need to be careful with premature conclusions as there could be that MB was saying something else?
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Allrounder wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:47 am I commented on that during the match time as well. I have no idea what Bielsa was saying, but it looked like he was yelling at Shacks to get up. If that was the case really poor stuff from MB, the lad got a serious blow. But I need to be careful with premature conclusions as there could be that MB was saying something else?
Agreed, I have just posted in the morning debate thread...I did review it as I really cannot see MB berating a potentially injured player, I think he was frustrated at what happened, in a friendly pre season game.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:35 am We're fans, we want our team to win every game, no matter the competition, no matter the opposition so it stings when we get humped. But it is pre-season, it is about fitness and formation and maybe trying players in different positions. A poor pre-season does not necessarily mean we will have a poor season, nor would a great pre-season mean we were going to sweep all before us. I remember us outplaying and beating PL Newcastle a few pre-seasons back only to then have a mediocre Championship campaign. There's no correlation, imo. That said, I am concerned we haven't got an AMF, but I remain hopeful. To finish, we all get worked up because we care, but that isn't an excuse to take potshots at each other. All Leeds, aren't we??
Famously the Detroit Lions won all 4 of their preseason games a few years back, beating a lot of good teams in the process, drawing a lot of plaudits. Detroit fans finally excited their team was on the up and now a threat. They went 1-15 in the regular season IIRC.

You win nothing in pre season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:56 am There you are Dan.

Hopefully we'll be ready to go with all cylinders firing come the 14th August.

17/07/19 CLF Manchester United 4 - 0 Leeds United
Was wondering about this myself, thanks for posting mate. Fitness, minutes, experimentation - those are the purposes of these games. The only results that really matter are those that put points on the table.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:35 am We're fans, we want our team to win every game, no matter the competition, no matter the opposition so it stings when we get humped. But it is pre-season, it is about fitness and formation and maybe trying players in different positions. A poor pre-season does not necessarily mean we will have a poor season, nor would a great pre-season mean we were going to sweep all before us. I remember us outplaying and beating PL Newcastle a few pre-seasons back only to then have a mediocre Championship campaign. There's no correlation, imo. That said, I am concerned we haven't got an AMF, but I remain hopeful. To finish, we all get worked up because we care, but that isn't an excuse to take potshots at each other. All Leeds, aren't we??
Exactly this.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Some of the comments on social media last night were ridiculous. Relegation fight, Bielsa is clueless, players are L1 standard at best, likening us to Sheffield Utd, it was pathetic to read.
As Leon posted we’re playing better opposition, what was the point in the Hockaday era of playing FC Gherdinia and winning 16-0, what did we learn. I’d much rather us play Ajax and get thumped 0-4 but learn from our mistakes and where to improve
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:29 am Was wondering about this myself, thanks for posting mate. Fitness, minutes, experimentation - those are the purposes of these games. The only results that really matter are those that put points on the table.
Tbh Moth we are playing classier teams in our friendlies in Real Betis, Ajax & Villarreal, these games were always going to be a tough ask against such opposition especially with our limited resources, one mistake & they punish you.

Those players beyond our first 12/13 first team players will struggle at the highest level.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Burnley have won all 6 of their friendly matches
Norwich won all three
Southampton unbeaten

All against tinpot opposition.

Even so I expect those three clubs to be fighting relegation or in the bottom half of the PL table.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

We shouldn't take any notice whatsoever of pre-season results.
Minor differences in the fitness and preparation of the opposing squads can throw up some strange results. And it is very rarely an our best XI vs their best XI game, over 90 minutes.

At the back of all this forum angst is the memory of the previous game at Old Trafford. Being 4-0 down before the game had even got going.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:42 am Some of the comments on social media last night were ridiculous. Relegation fight, Bielsa is clueless, players are L1 standard at best, likening us to Sheffield Utd, it was pathetic to read.
As Leon posted we’re playing better opposition, what was the point in the Hockaday era of playing FC Gherdinia and winning 16-0, what did we learn. I’d much rather us play Ajax and get thumped 0-4 but learn from our mistakes and where to improve
I'd pretty much agree with all that with one exception, the mistakes that are made are normally over playing in defensive areas leading to goals. Seems to be a constant weakness, with the flip side being when it comes off they tend to be in acres of space.
No points available for these games as stated previously so pretty ambivalent really concerning the results.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Just saw highlights

All 4 straight through the middle.

No KP we fall apart. Nothing new there but it far worse with Ayling at CB.

Meslier error prone too.

Hopefully you learn more from a poor performance and we can improve.

Meslier honeymoon is over now and the lad will need to stop making those errors.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:32 pm Oh come on we were totally outclassed tonight after being battered by Ajax juniors this afternoon, we were doing our best but our best was nowhere near good enough.

These are the type of games we'll have to compete & cope with if we have any European ambitions.

Bielsa wasn't happy tonight so why should our fans be content with extremely average performances.
We're a long way off top 6, regardless of the friendly result!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:42 am Some of the comments on social media last night were ridiculous. Relegation fight, Bielsa is clueless, players are L1 standard at best, likening us to Sheffield Utd, it was pathetic to read.
:tup:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I get why people would be annoyed if they spent loads of money on the matches. But since Bielsa has been here we've had crap results, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise! I'd rather play Ajax and Villarreal, than non league and League 2 teams and run in big scores.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:31 pm I get why people would be annoyed if they spent loads of money on the matches. But since Bielsa has been here we've had crap results, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise! I'd rather play Ajax and Villarreal, than non league and League 2 teams and run in big scores.
Test your wits against the better teams :tup: