Pre-season Games - Villarreal v Leeds

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Re: Pre-season Games - Real Betis v Leeds. 12.30pm Today

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Reasonable runout looked off the pace as expected.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Prisoner37 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:03 pm We have to remember that these players are in a phase where they are doing three physical sessions a day, including murder-ball no doubt. So difficult to judge where they are until the first Premiership game.
I don't recall us impresing in any Bielsa pre-seaon games, generally looking a bit disjointed and often wondering why Bielsa is playing this player or that player in that position etc.
Pre-season is just fitness and match sharpness and a time for Bielsa to have a look at one or two players that he might be unsure about and try one or two players in different positions. Often it is more about ruling things out than ruling things in.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:35 pm If Shacks is not gonna get a look in we might as well send him out on loan.

We desperately need a playmaker.

Also, Costa n Roberts can go for me and get another winger in.
No point sending Shackleton on loan when he has the versatility to come on in a few positions. He may not yet be first choice in any position but Bielsa will know he can bring him on and the team will not be weakened too much. A little bit like Dallas he will get the opportunities because of his versatility and it is then up to him to excel when he gets the chances and make himself undroppable.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Orange Box wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 pm Which one is which? Cos I do like a Curly Wurly but I’m not too keen on Cheesy Wotsits.
Roberts would be the Curly Wurly
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

weasel wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm No point sending Shackleton on loan when he has the versatility to come on in a few positions. He may not yet be first choice in any position but Bielsa will know he can bring him on and the team will not be weakened too much. A little bit like Dallas he will get the opportunities because of his versatility and it is then up to him to excel when he gets the chances and make himself undroppable.
But is he gonna get a chance when Roberts and Costa seem to be the preferred options off the bench.

Neither one of those two set the Prem on fire last season, but MB just stuck with them
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:30 pm But is he gonna get a chance when Roberts and Costa seem to be the preferred options off the bench.

Neither one of those two set the Prem on fire last season, but MB just stuck with them
Why we persevere with Costa god only knows, never rated him.

What do I know :duno:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: Pre-season Games - Real Betis v Leeds.

Post by Ellandback1 »

Everyone keeps saying its just a friendly, and players are finding their feet.

But its the same for both sides!

To me, very disappointing!

Our players are supposed to be the fittest, therefor we should have some kind of advantage over our competition!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:53 pm Everyone keeps saying its just a friendly, and players are finding their feet.

But its the same for both sides!

To me, very disappointing!

Our players are supposed to be the fittest, therefor we should have some kind of advantage over our competition!
Also Bielsa was waving his arms furiously so Marcelo was taking the game seriously & obviously unhappy with aspects of our play.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Panic setting in early I see, Costa actually played quite well today, not much worse than Jack if at all.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

Orange Box wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 pm Which one is which? Cos I do like a Curly Wurly but I’m not too keen on Cheesy Wotsits.
I am trying my hardest not to respond to that statement... :zip: :zip: :zip: :angel: :angel:

;-)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We just need a central midfield player who can run the midfield, take the pressure off Kalvin.

We are so reliant on our England star :eng:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:05 pm Panic setting in early I see, Costa actually played quite well today, not much worse than Jack if at all.
What did he do well apart from one pass to create a chance Faaip?
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:15 pm We just need a central midfield player who can run the midfield, take the pressure off Kalvin.

We are so reliant on our England star :eng:
Exactly, why we have not had a playmaker since Saiz departed is astounding.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm Roberts would be the Curly Wurly
That suits me just fine
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:52 pm Exactly, why we have not had a playmaker since Saiz departed is astounding.
Pablo ????
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:18 pmPablo ????
Pablo did provide a creative spark for us, but still more of a right winger than a 10 imo
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Pre-season Games - Real Betis v Leeds.....Highlights up.

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Assuming Rodders and Bamford both start I feel our bench is weak. There is no one who can come on and take the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen. Roberts, Costa and Poveda are too predictable and lack the cutting edge.
Would like to see Summerville or Greenwood get a chance next season. Costa and Roberts have had theirs and I'm afraid neither are good enough.
1964white

Re: Pre-season Games - Real Betis v Leeds.....Highlights up.

Post by 1964white »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:40 pm Assuming Rodders and Bamford both start I feel our bench is weak. There is no one who can come on and take the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen. Roberts, Costa and Poveda are too predictable and lack the cutting edge.
Attacking players with very few goals or assists in their game.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:43 pm Why we persevere with Costa god only knows, never rated him.

What do I know :duno:
The guy is an absolute waste of a wage. I've been watching him fail to achieve anything at all ever since he arrived, even Bielsa appears incapable of improving him - no energy, no urgency, no originality, no threat, no goals.

I wish I felt differently but I groan every time he comes on.