Tokyo Olympic Games

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Tokyo Olympic Games

Post by HarryofOz »

But superb swim by the British four in the 4 x 200m freestyle relay.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:39 am But superb swim by the British four in the 4 x 200m freestyle relay.
And the first time the Americans have failed to medal in that format :lol:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

WOW, just WOW

Did you see the Women's 4x200m freestyle relay. All three medal-winning teams broke the previous world record. That is amazing, a brilliant race. Well done to the winners China.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Another bronze and silver this morning for GB. :silver: :bronze:

Bronze in the shooting and Silver in the Canoe Slalom. Unfortunately the Aussie went last in the slalom and was too good, piping Franklin to the gold!

Every Olympics I say I want to try Canoe Slalom, but I never get round to it! Maybe this year? :duno:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Loved the mixed medley relay
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

SG90 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:39 am Another bronze and silver this morning for GB. :silver: :bronze:

Bronze in the shooting and Silver in the Canoe Slalom. Unfortunately the Aussie went last in the slalom and was too good, piping Franklin to the gold!

Every Olympics I say I want to try Canoe Slalom, but I never get round to it! Maybe this year? :duno:
I coach canoe slalom so give me a shout if you want to get underway.

Mallory Franklin's silver in C1 makes here our best ever women's Olympion in slalom.

We need gold in the men's K1 tomorrow to be the top country in slalom at Tokyo. We took 2 medals at Rio, London and Athens - SO COME ON GB!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Prisoner37 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:49 pm I coach canoe slalom so give me a shout if you want to get underway.

Mallory Franklin's silver in C1 makes here our best ever women's Olympion in slalom.

We need gold in the men's K1 tomorrow to be the top country in slalom at Tokyo. We took 2 medals at Rio, London and Athens - SO COME ON GB!
Oh wow, that's so cool! 6th place for BF-C. Crazy how we had the defending champion and yet he didn't even qualify!

Hate how all the swimming finals have been moved to the morning for US TV. Completely ruins the excitement of it all when the BBC tell you what happened first thing. :cry:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Another gold for GB in the BMX racing. A very strange sport and looks really out of place in the Olympics imo. But well done!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Typical English football

England miss a penalty in extra-time, then Australia score a 25 yarder into the top corner.

You don't deserve to win tournaments if you can't score from the penalty spot.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

And another Aussie goal

Three goals conceded in 14 minutes.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Go the mighty Matildas :). Exciting topsy turvy game.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Sprinting at the end of the 10k, bloody cheek I say :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Is it me or are we having an awful Olympics ... We lost several Taekwondo medals to last second defeats. The rowers will be having a post mortem soon. Swimming has bailed us out to this point fortunately...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:51 pm Is it me or are we having an awful Olympics ... We lost several Taekwondo medals to last second defeats. The rowers will be having a post mortem soon. Swimming has bailed us out to this point fortunately...
Worst rowing for years!
Katherine Grainger (who I respect highly) is explaining that this is a transitional time for British rowing with the emphasis now on Paris 2024
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:42 pm Worst rowing for years!
Katherine Grainger (who I respect highly) is explaining that this is a transitional time for British rowing with the emphasis now on Paris 2024
Ah... and nowt to do with letting the best coach that we have ever had in rowing, go last year then?? :duno: :duno:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:15 pm Ah... and nowt to do with letting the best coach that we have ever had in rowing, go last year then?? :duno: :duno:
That could be part of it, but it sounds like not all the rowers thought highly of Jurgen Grobler. Josh Bugajski was quite scathing about him saying that he popped a bottle of Champagne when Grobler retired admitting he was a good coach but only to some people. Who knows :dun:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:42 pm Worst rowing for years!
Spending 25M for this Olympic cycle for rowers seems high in that case... We're going to need to see much better results in Paris for sure
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:14 pm That could be part of it, but it sounds like not all the rowers thought highly of Jurgen Grobler. Josh Bugajski was quite scathing about him saying that he popped a bottle of Champagne when Grobler retired admitting he was a good coach but only to some people. Who knows :dun:
People say the same about Bielsa..

I find that it is the ones who don't want to put in the hard work, and do as the coach wants, that whinge about him, and seem to fail... I mean 20 years of many gold medals is not to be sneezed at, and wouldn't have happened if he had been Mr Nice Guy....
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:17 pm Spending 25M for this Olympic cycle for rowers seems high in that case... We're going to need to see much better results in Paris for sure
Haven't we cut funding for "posh" sports including Rowing?

Looks like we're relying on track cycling to boost the gold medal count.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:23 pm People say the same about Bielsa..

I find that it is the ones who don't want to put in the hard work, and do as the coach wants, that whinge about him, and seem to fail... I mean 20 years of many gold medals is not to be sneezed at, and wouldn't have happened if he had been Mr Nice Guy....
You do have a point. Steve Redgrave fears that allowing Grobler to leave has lead to the team going soft....

I dont think we've heard the last of what happened regarding this 2021 GB Olympic rowing team