World Class Player

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: World Class Player

Post by Chilli D »

Kevin De Bruyne definitely is.
Probably the best central midfielder in the world right now.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

De Bruyne is the only one on that list.

Past players, agree re Totti, a truly class act whose loyalty cost him more trophies. Paolo Maldini the best defender I've ever seen, imperious player. Plus the usual suspects already mentioned. And a certain gentleman named Best, of course
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:04 pm De Bruyne is the only one on that list.

Past players, agree re Totti, a truly class act whose loyalty cost him more trophies. Paolo Maldini the best defender I've ever seen, imperious player. Plus the usual suspects already mentioned. And a certain gentleman named Best, of course
Maldini absolutely magnificent footballer. A joy to watch in action.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:06 am Playing for your country does not equate to being world class, or if you hold that view is there a pecking order of countries. For instance, is getting picked to play for Brazil/Germany/Italy etc....considered a step up from playing for Wales. Chris Gunter holds the record number of caps (I think it’s 100, or thereabouts) for Wales, but would anyone really consider him world class :duno:

Getting picked for your National team just means that the manager at the time rates you in that position, nothing more
Well lets look at that Muppet...playing for your country means you are playing on the world stage. Do some countries have a depth of players superior to others?...a resounding yes...100 caps for your country is a remarkable achievment, and should not be overlooked...How else is selection for a national team decided... your current performances.
My point about being tagged "world class" and playing for your country is that there has to be a baseline... and selection for your country is the start of said baseline.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

HarryofOz wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:25 pm Maldini absolutely magnificent footballer. A joy to watch in action.
With his equally talented buddy Franco Baresi