Where is our goal threat coming from?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Where is our goal threat coming from?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Might seem an odd question given our previous run of 6 matches unbeated but I am becoming slightly concerned about our lack of threat on the oppositions goal. We have tightened up at the back and that has been the main reason we have picked up points over the past few weeks but I do feel a bit concerned about our goal threat.

Against City we were forced to be defensive and took two goals from two chances but we have faied to create in the way we used to against Liverpool, Scum and Brighton. Just five shots on target in the last two matches! Liverpool was slightly better, 5 shots on target but both Bamford and Roberts were wasteful with their chances. Bamford has barely been in the game in any of our recent matches.

Am I being unduly concerned?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Where is our goal threat coming from?

Post by 1964white »

We'll create more when Raphinha returns.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:09 pm We'll create more when Raphinha returns.

Still worry about who is on the end of those chances...
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

I'm just hoping it was 'just a bad day at the office' but we def need strengthening all over the park, I'm a massive bamford fan, but he has really struggled the last few game, and with Raphinha out we are thread bare up front, we have Roberts, but I'm sure you all know I'm not a fan to put it mildly
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Velotrax wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:17 pm I'm just hoping it was 'just a bad day at the office' but we def need strengthening all over the park, I'm a massive bamford fan, but he has really struggled the last few game, and with Raphinha out we are thread bare up front, we have Roberts, but I'm sure you all know I'm not a fan to put it mildly
Paddy has had no service in our last three games.

Dallas is our only other likely scorer.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

1964white wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:44 pm Paddy has had no service in our last three games.

Dallas is our only other likely scorer.
Totally agree mate thats why we need strengthening all over
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Fully agree it is concerning.

Maybe slowly the step up in class is starting to catch up and thus the style which is our biggest strength is starting to be less effective and as a consequence creativity suffers?

Raph is our only genuine high quality Premier league attacking player and that needs addressing in the summer.
Boo Radley
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Boo Radley »

The speed of our attacks has faltered considerably lately. That’s coming from a lack of accuracy in our passing and poor choices by players of where, and who to pass to.

Once teams get a chance to organise their defence against us we are usually unable to prise them open. We don’t have an aerial threat, which defeats the purpose of our wingers running to the corners and crossing into the box. We don’t have Pablo so there is no inspired defence splitting pass and we have no one capable of waltzing through a defence.

We depend on high speed attack or a defensive error. We can’t depend on either at the moment, and it’s not a realistic long term strategy in the Premier League, so it’s a puzzle that we can only hope that Bielsa sees and which he can solve. Sell what isn’t working and buy quality is probably the best option now, especially when using the U23’s seems to be totally off the agenda.
billysboots
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by billysboots »

Leeds are still, with a few exceptions the team that won the championship. We need everybody playing to their personal best if we want to compete in the premier league.
If more than two players have an off day we are in trouble.
We held Manchester to 0-0 but lost to inferior team today.
Having said that, there are teams below us that would love to be having our season.
There Is Only One United.
billysboots
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by billysboots »

Sorry, the point I was trying to make was that it’s very demanding playing for Leeds.
There Is Only One United.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:07 pm Am I being unduly concerned?
It is a legitimate concern mate , paricularly when KP is not around. TBF Paddy has not had the support he needs the last 2 or 3 games...I have tried to stay positive and see the good in Roberts, but the last game and particularly this one it is like he has lead feet, at times he does'nt even make an effort, that is a real concern for me. With KP and Raph in the side, we all know what that brings...I am still of the opinion that the two main areas we need to address are an AMF and support striker ...
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Areas to address are ;

- A decent - and consistent - left winger. I didn't think we should sign Costa, and I think the same with Harrison. Flash in the pan performances can deceive some, but not all.
- A proper left back.
- Another striker to compete with Bamford. Paddy has done well for most of the season, but he's a ' streaky ' striker - always has been and always will be. Right now he's in one of his loss of confidence spells, and he's not the kind of player to take a match by the throat when things aren't perfect for him. Anyway, what would happen if he had a long term injury ?
- A proper no 10. More and more I believe that the idea of signing Rodrigo - a 30 year old, historically non -prolific 9 - with the aim of converting him to a false 9 or a 10 was a strange one - especially as he is the club's record signing. Recruitment concerns me, as it has for quite a while now. Personally I think the club needs a new DOF...Sorry, but I'm never going to forgive Mr Orta for failing to sign Haaland and then subsequently succeeding in signing JKA at twice what it would have cost to have signed the Leeds born Norwegian wunderkind...
- A decent DM as cover so that we don't lose virtually every match when KP is out, and to provide competition for the position. Right now if KP was out for most of a season we might be fighting relegation. Maybe Koch can still fill this role ? With the exception of Raph, there are question marks about all of last summer's signings...
- A no 8 to replace Klich.
- Another right winger to replace Costa, and to compete with Raph.

In other words a total overhaul of the wings and midfield...Roberts, Costa, Harrison, Alioski and Klich need to be dispensed with in the summer. Maybe Rodrigo as well, as he's not really a fit. I don't actually know what to think about Llorente - can he really defend effectively ?
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sun May 02, 2021 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by HarryofOz »

Is it a coincidence that our improved defensive record has coincided with a drop in goals scored.
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

HarryofOz wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:55 am Is it a coincidence that our improved defensive record has coincided with a drop in goals scored.
Good point mate, but our whole team seams to be a lot slower in attack..
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by HarryofOz »

Velotrax wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:00 am Good point mate, but our whole team seams to be a lot slower in attack..
I agree we have definitely slowed down our attack. But maybe it's because we are slowing down our play to avoid being being too vulnerable on the counter-attack.
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

The same squad of players (basicly) from the championship winning team are evolving, and evolving for the better. The amount of "overhaul" suggested by Chappel, would cost an absolute fortune, which we do not have, and IMO, nor need. Time will eventually incorperate the complete change as suggested, but not in one summer transfer window ready for next season.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

IMO...The fact our defensive displays have improved of late is because we have had (for the most part) a full squad to be able to draw on and develop. sadly something we did not have for the most of the season. The development of (in particular) players purchased in the off season last year is now showing in the style of play we are seeing.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

What’s happened to OG he was brilliant last season
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:57 am The same squad of players (basicly) from the championship winning team are evolving, and evolving for the better. The amount of "overhaul" suggested by Chappel, would cost an absolute fortune, which we do not have, and IMO, nor need. Time will eventually incorperate the complete change as suggested, but not in one summer transfer window ready for next season.
IMO relying on the likes of Klich, Harrison, Alioski, Cooper and basically the championship old guard risks the club becoming the blunts mark 2. We are struggling now to score goals in the same way that the blunts did in their first (successful) season back in the PL when they finished 9th. They had defensive solidity that season, but struggled with scoring too many goals, which came back to bite them big time this season.

It's obvious that the club needs more financial muscle behind it in order to become a top 8 club and not mid/lower table mediocrity for the next 5 years. What funds are available need to be spent extremely wisely, which for me means a new DOF...
Overman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Overman »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:01 am IMO relying on the likes of Klich, Harrison, Alioski, Cooper and basically the championship old guard risks the club becoming the blunts mark 2. We are struggling now to score goals in the same way that the blunts did in their first (successful) season back in the PL when they finished 9th. They had defensive solidity that season, but struggled with scoring too many goals, which came back to bite them big time this season.

It's obvious that the club needs more financial muscle behind it in order to become a top 8 club and not mid/lower table mediocrity for the next 5 years. What funds are available need to be spent extremely wisely, which for me means a new DOF...
Players such as Harrison, Klich, Costa, Alioski, Poveda and Roberts. I find it hard to see any form of evolution to their game. MB has very limited options to choose from and it shows at times. We clearly do need to bring in a few shrewd and quality signings over the summer. Hopefully one or two of our promising youngsters can also make the transition to the first team.