Leeds Utd v Manchester United Match Thread - Bielsa Names Unchanged Starting XI

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Manchester United Match Thread - Bielsa Names Unchanged Starting XI

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sunday 25th April 2021 14.00 | Elland Road

Sunday sees the resumption of hostilities between the White Rose of Yorkshire and the Red Rose od Lancashire as Manchester United are the visitors to Elland Road. Leeds United will be aiming to go six matches unbeaten having already taken points off Chelsea, Manchester City and Liverpool in their last five games. The visitors are the in-form side in the Premier League, undefeated in their last twelve games, having won their last five. This won’t intimidate Marcelo Bielsa's side though, who are prepared to go toe to toe with anyone in the league and will look to make amends for their below pal performance earlier in the season at Old Trafford.

Captain Liam Cooper will serve the second of a three-match ban, so Pascal Struijk is again likely to partner Diego Llorente, whose late header earned Bielsa's men a share of the spoils against current League Champions Liverpool, at centre back. German International Robin Koch is fit, however Bielsa rarely changes a winning team. Right back Luke Ayling will wear the Captains armband. Rodrigo has not recovered from his 'muscle' injury so Tyler Roberts will deputise in the playmaker role once again. The Welsh International has been in fine form recently, and instrumental in Leeds recent run of results.

Unfortunately for Leeds, Raphinha has not trained again this week following the rather robust challenge by Fernandinho in the victory against City and is not fit to feature. Costa will start in his place with Poveda and Summerville providing options from the bench. The Reds have no new injury worries. Anthony Martial is side-lined having injured his knee on international duty. Eric Bailly, who has missed the last five matches after testing positive for Covid on international duty. Marcus Rashford has missed training as he continues to manage a recent foot injury but Solskjaer believes he could still feature.

Manchester United have earned five straight league victories for the first time since winning Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's first six games in charge between December 2018 and January 2019. Leeds' last victory over Manchester United in the Premier League was 1-0 at home in September 2002. Diego Llorente's equaliser against Liverpool on Monday night was the 100th goal to be scored in a Leeds Premier League game this season. They have both scored and conceded 50. Stuart Dallas has scored against Manchester City and Manchester United this season. The last Leeds player to score in three separate matches against the Manchester clubs in one season was Peter Lorimer in 1971-72.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Manchester United Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Struijk
Alioski
Philips
Dallas
Raphinha
Harrison
Roberts
Bamford

I might swap Koch for Llorente but I think if Raph is fit he'll be the only change
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Generally, we have performed better the second time around against the better sides.

We will need to be significantly better this time around, especially since the bar I'm planning on watching the game in will be full of ManU pukes.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Martial missing is good, a rusty Bailly is good, but let's face it, Bruno Fernandes will look to carry them like he's done all season so unless he's struck by a yacht or something this will be tough.

Still, nothing to fear and we're looking increasingly better against the ESL sides, so let's have another big scalp before the season's done!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:01 pm Bruno Fernandes will look to carry them like he's done all season so unless he's struck by a yacht or something

I have a yacht :) .....a 32ft Janneau Symphony. She is beautiful.....
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Our new, slightly conservative more approach might help us in this fixture.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Early team news.

For us.

Forshaw is out.

Rodrigo is out

Raph hasnt trained so is probably out.

Coopers is out.

For Manure.

Rashford hasnt trained but may do tomorrow.

Martial is out

Eric Bailly is back in training so may play a part.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

So Adam Forshaw is more or less out for the rest of the season after a tame stroll in the U23's

And this footballer is part of our future.

Oh I wish could draw a salary (not an excessive one) for doing no work.

Beyond a joke now!
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I hope Raph does play i have him down to score. :)

How long has he got left on his current deal Forshaw. You gotta feel for the kid breaking down all the time it must be driving him nuts.

Not looking good for Rodrigo's muscle strain or whatever it is either.

Once we sign another 5 in the summer the bench will look strong. ;-)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I told my dear old 90 year old Mum that we were playing Man Ure tomorrow, her reaction? I hope we batter 'em.....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sure she didn't think you said fillets of cod ...I mean it's similar

Man United
Fillets of cod

Easy mistake ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

They might rest a few ahead of their Euro commitments., I hope so as we will struggle without a fit Raph.
Rodrigo out again, I am getting to the point not to expect to see him again this season.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:38 pm Sure she didn't think you said fillets of cod ...I mean it's similar

Man United
Fillets of cod

Easy mistake ...
:)
Defo not. She dislikes them with a passion. Never liked Fergie, Mark Hughes " always on the floor", Cantona to Scum " silly bl** dy Wilko" (her words :) ) we used to watch Leeds games at Elland Road together for many a year....she will be on the ball tomorrow....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Unchanged and no Raph but Summerville in the squad, no chance of getting on like Gerhardt recently, just match day experience I guess
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Manchester United Match Thread - Bielsa Names Unchanged Starting XI

Post by The Subhuman »

Enjoy the game folks, I'll be on the MOTM thread
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:11 pm Unchanged and no Raph but Summerville in the squad, no chance of getting on like Gerhardt recently, just match day experience I guess
Yeah, a bit of first team match day experience for Summerville and Greenwood. Zero chance of getting a run out I expect.
Summerville maybe if Costa and Harrison both have a mare I suppose.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Manchester United Match Thread - Bielsa Names Unchanged Starting XI

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:11 pm Enjoy the game folks, I'll be on the MOTM thread
Stay on the match thread for god's sake mate
VincentJames88
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @IllsleyVincent

Post by VincentJames88 »

Can't wait for this game !!ImageImageImage🤍ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk