Summer 2021 squad and transfer discussion- No more incomings for us.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Summer 2021 squad and transfer discussion.

Post by Cjay »

Phil did an article today talking about how the club are seriously thinking about backups for KP.

These are the names he came up with using an analytical tool.
Teun Koopmeiners
Boubakary Soumare
Dejan Petrovic
Papa Gueye
Gustavo Hamer
Ryan Ledson who i cant find a video for.

Hamer and Ledson play in the Championship for Coventry and Preston

Papa Gueye is a squad player for Marseille.

Dejan Petrovic is a regular in Austria for Rapid Vienna.

Boubakary Soumare is a key player for Ligue 1 league leaders Lille.

Teun Koopmeiners is a regular and i think may even be Captain for AZ Alkmaar in Holland.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Of the group the top 2 are highly unlikely to join as backup.

Soumare especially is extremely highly rated and will quite possibly exceed KP in his career.

He would be my choice, needs refining but a very talented player and i like that he is comfortable carrying the ball to.

Lille wanted about £34mil last summer but he is out of contract in 2022 so that may have dropped.

Koopmeiners is a good player but have read he is a bit slow, worries me he may just be another Adam Forshaw (all be it with a few more goals).
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:51 pm Of the group the top 2 are highly unlikely to join as backup.

Soumare especially is extremely highly rated and will quite possibly exceed KP in his career.

He would be my choice, needs refining but a very talented player and i like that he is comfortable carrying the ball to.

Lille wanted about £34mil last summer but he is out of contract in 2022 so that may have dropped.

Koopmeiners is a good player but have read he is a bit slow, worries me he may just be another Adam Forshaw (all be it with a few more goals).
Very delusional to believe Soumare and Koopmeiners are going to come to sit on the bench and play 8-10 games a season. Both would walk into our starting X1 anyway and better clubs than us are interested.

Hence why signing a back up is pointless, you're only going to end up with a lesser player and it becomes a waste of money. Koch plays there for Germany, so it's not needed.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:43 pm Very delusional to believe Soumare and Koopmeiners are going to come to sit on the bench and play 8-10 games a season. Both would walk into our starting X1 anyway and better clubs than us are interested.

Hence why signing a back up is pointless, you're only going to end up with a lesser player and it becomes a waste of money. Koch plays there for Germany, so it's not needed.
Agreed.

I firmly believe every signing you make should be with the intention of improving your 1st 11.

Soumare has the makings of a Yaya Toure for me and he started more defensively so could convert him into a box to box midfielder?

Those are the level we need imo, ambitious signings are how you improve.

De Paul, Soumare, Faivre, Perraud.

Announce top 6 :)
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

An understudy for KP has to come from within the club.

Either that or we sell him and hope for someone less injury/ suspension prone.

I cant see option two being viable under Bielsa so it has to be a breakthrough player.

Who have we in the U23s who can play DLP?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:45 pm An understudy for KP has to come from within the club.

I cant see option two being viable under Bielsa so it has to be a breakthrough player.

Nohan Kenneh. :love: He's just started training with the first team as well.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:45 pm An understudy for KP has to come from within the club.

Alfie McCalmont? Jenkins?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:45 am I think it's an obligation, isn't it? Like with Costa.
Don't think so, think we have the option but we don't have to exercise it
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:07 pm 10M is peanuts at this level, the equivalent of 500K when we were last here and Harrison knows the system and is a great defensive winger. Plus he has moments of game breaking magic in him. Worth every penny
But why waste 10 mill on a player to warm the bench when we could put it towards spending say 20 mill on a player who will improve the first team.

In this market harrison is not worth 10 mill for me. Fair enough he knows the system etc. and is solid defensively but we want to be spending money to improve the side, not keep it at this level. He's improved a lot this season tbf, but just rather we spend the money on improving the side rather than wasting money on another Costa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

danhirons wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:11 pm But why waste 10 mill on a player to warm the bench when we could put it towards spending say 20 mill on a player who will improve the first team.

In this market harrison is not worth 10 mill for me. Fair enough he knows the system etc. and is solid defensively but we want to be spending money to improve the side, not keep it at this level. He's improved a lot this season tbf, but just rather we spend the money on improving the side rather than wasting money on another Costa
You mean like JKA or maybe even Rodrigo?

You gamble everytime you bring a new player in not matter what the cost, Harrison is a scheme fit and a very good player to boot.. So your wasting nothing.

We get another sizeable chunk and there's no reason we can't add said 20M player also ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Id be surprised and disappointed if Costa and Harrison were our two main options on one of the wings next season.

Given MB is rotating them (which he rarely does).

Maybe he is trying to decide which he wants to keep?
Signed

King Cjay

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:14 pm You mean like JKA or maybe even Rodrigo?

You gamble everytime you bring a new player in not matter what the cost, Harrison is a scheme fit and a very good player to boot.. So your wasting nothing.

We get another sizeable chunk and there's no reason we can't add said 20M player also ...
True...or could bring in another raphinha (although unlikely!)

I think we will sign Harrison anyway, as cjay says above though would like to see Costa moved on then if we do sign JH.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:11 pm Alfie McCalmont? Jenkins?
Ah Alf is out on load with Oldham.... though he is more of a Klich than a KP
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:43 pm

Exactly. You fill a squad with sixteen or so players who are all capable of starting. If enough of them are flexible enough - like Alioski, Koch, and Dallas, you can get everyone thirty starts a year or so. Injuries, cup matches (hopefully), and rest days will get everyone the time they want.

Look at the benches of the top clubs. They're full of players that could compete in the PL as a starting group, and they all get time.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:20 pm Id be surprised and disappointed if Costa and Harrison were our two main options on one of the wings next season.

Given MB is rotating them (which he rarely does).

Maybe he is trying to decide which he wants to keep?
So would I but everyone keeps moaning we don't have or need a strong bench, both of those would add to that ..We maybe take a big hit on Costa if we sell?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:02 pm So would I but everyone keeps moaning we don't have or need a strong bench, both of those would add to that ..We maybe take a big hit on Costa if we sell?
Almost certainly would have to, post covid transfer market is unlikely to see clubs stretching very far for Costa.

Be lucky to get 50% of the £21mil we spent.

You say £10mil is a bargain for Harrison.

Is it really in this new pandemic transfer market?

Also dont forget he is on a significant wage at Man City, around £60k a week amazingly.

He would already be around a top earner for us without a wage increase which he would probably want.

Not as much of a bargain then if we are having to pay him £70,80,90k a week.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:50 pm Almost certainly would have to, post covid transfer market is unlikely to see clubs stretching very far for Costa.

Be lucky to get 50% of the £21mil we spent.

You say £10mil is a bargain for Harrison.

Also dont forget he is on a significant wage at Man City, around £60k a week amazingly.

He would already be around a top earner for us without a wage increase which he would probably want.

Well that would have to be discussed obviously. It is, as far as I know only an option to buy. Also I think it'll take 10 minutes for clubs to recover from Covid downturn, The NFL has cut it's Salary cap this season but every indication says it's going to boom next season, same will happen in the premiership
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:45 pm
Jenkins, McCalmont, Gotts, Kenneh

None are ready for the premier league yet. Maybe after next season

Casey plays there too. Just like Strujik.

I don't think there's a natural fit that's close enough at the moment
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:43 pm Very delusional to believe Soumare and Koopmeiners are going to come to sit on the bench and play 8-10 games a season. Both would walk into our starting X1 anyway and better clubs than us are interested.
Anyone we're signing should be someone that makes our first team immediately better (like this season's signings). I'd be looking to sign a top class #8 who's also capable of covering Kalvin.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:50 pm You say £10mil is a bargain for Harrison.

The improvement we have seen in Harrison during his time here is very good. Given that he was a regular last season and the amount of ground he covers every match and I am not surprised he has had a bit of a tail-off recently. Similar to Klich he has played a lot of matches without a proper summer break. I can see both of them bouncing back and being much better next season.

Given how we play we need at least 3 if not 4 wingers capable of starting. Harrison and Raphinha we know are good enough. For all the knocking of Harrison his output in terms of goals and assists are similar to Raphinha's. If Harrison had missed the one that Raphinha missed on Saturday he would have been slated. As such for me we should be looking at signing Harrison, £10m is a bargain and his wages, even if they are as high as people make out, aren't especially high for a premier league starter. We probably need another winger to be an upgrade on Costa and we then have the 3 or 4 wingers dependant on whether Costa stays.