Summer 2021 squad and transfer discussion- No more incomings for us.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Summer 2021 squad and transfer discussion.

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:33 am The improvement we have seen in Harrison during his time here is very good. Given that he was a regular last season and the amount of ground he covers every match and I am not surprised he has had a bit of a tail-off recently. Similar to Klich he has played a lot of matches without a proper summer break. I can see both of them bouncing back and being much better next season.

Given how we play we need at least 3 if not 4 wingers capable of starting. Harrison and Raphinha we know are good enough. For all the knocking of Harrison his output in terms of goals and assists are similar to Raphinha's. If Harrison had missed the one that Raphinha missed on Saturday he would have been slated. As such for me we should be looking at signing Harrison, £10m is a bargain and his wages, even if they are as high as people make out, aren't especially high for a premier league starter. We probably need another winger to be an upgrade on Costa and we then have the 3 or 4 wingers dependant on whether Costa stays.
I may be in the minority but i dont think the improvement in Harrisons end product has been as drastic as people say, its still below average imo and while yes his goals and assists are similar to Raph its clear there is a gulf in terms of overall quality between them (and Costa also) with Raph being the youngest of the trio.

Although wingers are inconsistent by nature, Harrison is one of the most inconsistent ive seen at Leeds ever.

If we hope to progress it needs to be much better imo.

I admire his work rate, his defensive qualities, his energy, but ive said before he reminds me of Dallas as a winger and Dallas is a failed winger.

For all we admire what Dallas has become it became evident very quickly he lacked the end product, consistency and natural ability to make it as a winger and he had qualities better suited to elsewhere (full back).

At some point the idea that Jack is improving or has improved isnt enough, not in the Premier league and not if we hope to progress next season imo.

Either him or Costa has to go i believe, we need someone closer to Raph in terms of overall game on the other wing and that is neither Harrison or Costa.

I fully support the idea of keeping one however because both are capable of really good games.

Offensively at their peak id say Costa is the better attacking wise, defensively and probably for the style its Harrison.

But if we really are limited to 4 or 5 signings then Harrison should be an only if near the end, not a priority.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

For me, I think Harrison should be signed, and I'd hold on to Costa, Alioski and Roberts, though none would start and they'd all be good squad players.

The only player I'd consider selling is Rodrigo. Not because he's been a flop, but he was apparently brought in to take over from Pablo, Raphinha has clearly grabbed that role, so now Rodrigo is a little bit lost. I'd sell him when most of the fee can be recouped, and use that to fund signing a good central midfielder or 2.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:59 pm Goalie
RWB
LWB
DM
AM
Striker

May not be this summer for all those positions, certainly over next eighteen months

I would say LB is the most urgent need, AM the least.

But GK may be the hardest to fill.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

mav wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:39 pm I would say LB is the most urgent need, AM the least.

But GK may be the hardest to fill.
I'd be inclined to say RB/RWB is least concern to fill. Ayling with Dallas in reserve and if my eyes don't deceive me, Drameh from the U23s is very close to a squad place.

For me, order of priority would be:
LB
AM
DM (Koch and Llorente can both play this position)
GK
FWD
RB
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:06 pm I'd be inclined to say RB/RWB is least concern to fill. Ayling with Dallas in reserve and if my eyes don't deceive me, Drameh from the U23s is very close to a squad place.

LB
AM
GK
FWD
RB
Looks like Koch is a good enough back up. Played there for Germany and today for the 23's

LB
GK - senior journeyman as back up (if Casilla leaves)

That's my list. Anyone else is going into the U23s.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:06 pm I'd be inclined to say RB/RWB is least concern to fill. Ayling with Dallas in reserve and if my eyes don't deceive me, Drameh from the U23s is very close to a squad place.

LB
AM
GK
FWD
RB
Striker for me obviously at 1
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:45 pm Striker for me obviously at 1
Something I am undecided about. Watching Gelhardt today and he's getting too good for the U23s. He does all the defending work expected, and can also run at players/dribble past them. His finishing isn't bad either.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

But not a starter yet, think if we introduce slowly next season from the bench he'll come along better.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

LB
AM
GK
FWD
RB
Happy to stay with caprille or casilla as backup at GK. Also don't think we need a rb as we have ayling and then dallas can cover, as can shacks or I'm sure llorente potentially or berardi could fill in there too.

LB, DM - are definites for me. first choice lb, backup dm (hopefully one who can also offer competition in centre mid)

a Striker to offer back up to PB would also be very useful, as would an attacking mid to offer competition in the middle of the back.

Would also like to see one of our current wingers moved on and a new winger brought in
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Without a shadow of a doubt, I think we all want to see a LB come in as priority. I love how we're able to speculate on these positions too, being we're so close to mathematic safety. Good times.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

danhirons wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:38 pm Happy to stay with caprille or casilla as backup at GK. Also don't think we need a rb as we have ayling and then dallas can cover, as can shacks or I'm sure llorente potentially or berardi could fill in there too.

LB, DM - are definites for me. first choice lb, backup dm (hopefully one who can also offer competition in centre mid)

a Striker to offer back up to PB would also be very useful, as would an attacking mid to offer competition in the middle of the back.

Would also like to see one of our current wingers moved on and a new winger brought in
Seems that Llorente may want out - another Saiz maybe ?

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/ ... is-summer/
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:27 pm Seems that Llorente may want out - another Saiz maybe ?

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/ ... is-summer/
I think there's so much wrong with that article, and I would put the rumour in the pot of either clickbait journalism or an agent stirring the pot. The article goes on to say he has been a disappointment for us, then says he's not played many minutes. Well sure, it's a disappointment that he got injured, but when he has played he's been mostly very good. I'm not sure how the Spain manager woul dhave picked him more if he were injured but at a Spanish club instead? Doesn't make any logic.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

As Lumiukko says ...article makes no sense ... :geek:
hector

Post by hector »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:50 pm As Lumiukko says ...article makes no sense ... :geek:
You shoud have no trouble understanding it then :P :P

:)
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

hector wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:59 pm You shoud have no trouble understanding it then :P :P

:)
Made a lot more sense reading it backwards ... :lol:
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

It could be true, it probably isn't.

Either way if Llorente leaves so be it. He's been solid but a month or 2 ago one of the standard complaints I read was that Leeds had bought an injury prone dud. I like him, but I'd still harbour hopes that Ben White could be prised away now that interest has cooled and he hasn't exactly pushed Brighton up the table, they might cash in...
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Mountain wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:27 pm It could be true, it probably isn't.

Either way if Llorente leaves so be it. He's been solid but a month or 2 ago one of the standard complaints I read was that Leeds had bought an injury prone dud. I like him, but I'd still harbour hopes that Ben White could be prised away now that interest has cooled and he hasn't exactly pushed Brighton up the table, they might cash in...
Decent summary, though I personally do think Llorente, if he gets on an injury free run, will begin to really show why we bought him. As for Ben White, if Brighton go down we may even be able to get him at a cut-price. Not sure where he fits in unless as you say Llorente or Koch are moved on.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I can’t believe that we’re debating getting rid of Llorente, he’s only in the door. As it stands I’d be looking for a LB & an 8/10 in the summer, the rest we can cover from within.

The White boat has sailed, he’ll go to Liverpool or Man U for stupid money and we no longer need him at the back.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not a huge fan of shopping in England because of the inflated prices.

Really like Ivan Toney for example but if Brentford didnt go up they would want £30mil+ for him and never think you should spend that on a 2nd division player.

However one Championship player we have been consistently linked with (and Phil has confirmed we do like him) is Reading midfielder Michael Olise.

Only 19, 10 assists and 5 goals for Reading this season.

Can play Cm, Am, Lw, Rw.

And rumoured to have a release clause below £10mil.

Would seemingly be an improvement on Costa and Roberts if his Championship stats are anything to go by and given his age much time to improve.

v=
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phil reiterated in the comments post FulhM that the club are looking for 5 new signings in the summer and that is likely to be for the 1st team.
Signed

King Cjay