The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 1st February) - Leeds looking up the table following Leicester win

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 1st February) - Leeds looking up the table following Leicester win

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Good Morning. It's Monday 1st February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds looking up the table, but how far can they go?

It’s been a great week for Leeds United with important victories against Newcastle United and Leicester City. The win at St James Park on Tuesday night put some breathing space between Leeds and the relegation battle going on below them. Marcelo Bielsa’s side widened the gap between themselves and Newcastle in 16th to 7 points whilst pulling further ahead of Fulham, the gap to 18th stretching to 13 points following their draw with Brighton on Wednesday night.

Sunday’s result against third place Leicester, a surprise to many, means Leeds United can now start looking up the table rather than over their shoulders at the chasing pack. Now fifteen points clear of 18th and only 4 points off the top six Leeds can start to dream about how far up the table they can finish. There are some top sides above us in the table and some tough games ahead but there are points to be won with games against Palace and Wolves this month.

With Premier League safety surely just a couple of victories away how far do you think we can finish up the table? Is 11th or 12th our level or can we aim higher?

Injury crisis deepens ahead of Everton game, who would you play?

The only downside of Sunday’s game was the potential injuries ahead of the mid-week game against Everton. Rodrigo hobble off the pitch after 21 minutes with what looked like a groin strain. If that is the case, he could be on the side-lines for 4-6 weeks. Raphinha also left the field after 80 minutes and whilst Marcelo Bielsa was not clear on the severity of the Brazilian’s injury in his post-match press-conference, if serious it would be a major blow.

Bielsa has options in the middle of midfield, Stuart Dallas and Mateusz Klich combined well in the centre of the park for 70 minutes and Pablo Hernandez, Tyler Roberts and Jamie Shackleton also provide options. But if Raphinha is missing Marcelo Bielsa could have a selection dilemma. Helder Costa has failed to impress in recent substitute appearances, whilst Ian Poveda promises a lot but often fails to deliver. Could veteran Pablo Hernandez make a comeback out wide?

If Rodrigo and Raphinha are missing on Wednesday who would you play instead?

Another impressive performance from Pascal Struijk

The centre of defence has been a weakness for Leeds United all season, not because we don’t have quality defenders but because they have spent a large amount of time on the treatment table. I have lost count of the number of partnerships who have played this season and youngster Pascal Struijk has been drafted in to fill in at centre half and defensive midfield. For the last two games he has reverted to his natural central defensive role and has looked impressive.

Struijk has defended well despite playing on his unfavoured right hand side and played a key part in the second and third goals, winning the ball back for Leeds. In total he had 83 touches, made 55 of 67 successful passes (most on the pitch), 4 interceptions (most on the pitch), 4 ball recoveries, 3 headed clearances and blocked a shot. Is the young Dutchman securing his place in the side? Even with Llorente or Koch back should Struijk make way in the centre of defence?

Stats from LUFCDATA

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 1st February) - Leeds looking up the table following Leicester win

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Five Thirty Eight now give us more chance of qualifying for the Champions League than being relegated! Ok, it's only 1% but we're moving in the right direction. They still have us finishing 12th on 51 points but I don't see any reason why we can't overhal Southampton.

Dallas and Klich back in midfield on Wednesday, it worked pretty well yesterday. Pablo gives us an option to change it up. Costa will probably start out wide if Raph is injured, we will really miss him though.

Struijk seriously impressing back in his natural CB. Certainly a good delection issue for Bielsa once all our defenders are fit again. Possibly gives us an option to play three at the back.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 1st February) - Leeds looking up the table following Leicester win

Post by Leeds1000 »

Oh what a beautiful morning.....

Injury crisis deepens ahead of Everton game, who would you play?

Rodrigo looks like he will miss a few games, and Raph looked like he had heavy strapping on his leg even before the injury. Their bodies adapting to the demands of Bielsa & PL football. Its not going well for our new recruits is it on that front.

I think Marcelo will persist with Costa out on the right on Wednesday. Even tho he seems out of form and hasn't really staked a claim in any of his recent cameos, i'd still have him in before Poveda personally. He has more pace and hopefully starting a game will give him enough time to settle into the match.

The other option would be to bring Shak and the magic man in for Rodrigo and move Mr versatile Dallas out to the right. I think that would be my preferred option. I can't see Bielsa moving Dallas back to LB pushing Alio forward and Harrison over to the right, but you never know.

Another impressive performance from Pascal Struijk.

Yes he had his best game for Leeds. He's definitely found his home on the right side of the pairing with Cooper. The more games he plays the better player he will become. My ideal paring would still be Koch & Llorente but its a nice feeling playing with my 3rd/4th choice CB's and still turning over title contenders. Oh yeah! Hey and don't forget that young kid in net, he's only 21 tha knows...Only the youngest goalie in the PL.

Side note. Has anyone heard from Finlands finest Scotch Import Rab rant? He doesn't seem to have posted owt for awhile.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Great win yesterday just a shame about the injuries. Amazing to me that all our big summer signings are now on the treatment table so we genuinely are going to have to revert to our Championship side.

It’ll be interesting to see what Bielsa does now for the Everton game, my guess is that he will start with the same team as we finished the Leicester game with. Personally I would prefer to give Pablo a start instead of Costa on the right but he seems to be out of favour at the moment for some reason.

Always thought Struijk’s best position was centre back and yesterday proves it. He’s such an big imposing figure that he is just made for that role.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Not even thinking about looking up the table, personally. Safety will be assured soon enough and that's the primary concern but once that's done I'm just going to enjoy every game as it comes. No fear, no pressure and the players will feel the same way I'm sure. And that will improve their performance as a side effect anyway.

That also relieves some of my personal worry over injuries as well. We've got enough to cope for the rest of the season and achieve our aims.

I don't see Struijk's place being threatened if he's putting in the performances. Bielsa doesn't change a winning formula readily.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:50 am Not even thinking about looking up the table, personally. Safety will be assured soon enough and that's the primary concern but once that's done I'm just going to enjoy every game as it comes. No fear, no pressure and the players will feel the same way I'm sure. And that will improve their performance as a side effect anyway.

That also relieves some of my personal worry over injuries as well. We've got enough to cope for the rest of the season and achieve our aims.

I don't see Struijk's place being threatened if he's putting in the performances. Bielsa doesn't change a winning formula readily.
Likewise, I am looking sideways and thinking mid-table will do me just fine this season.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Bookies are now offering 100/1 on us being relegated.

If we were to achieve that, it would be one of the biggest sporting bottle jobs in history, right up there with Jean Van De Velde failing to win the 1999 Open. Perhaps it would top that.

Hopefully we’ll continue to play the way we did yesterday, clearing the ball out of danger much quicker and such.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I predicted us to finish 10th in our competition and I still think between 8th and 14th is most likely.

With two winnable games coming up we could potentially be almost safe after next weekend and then the players could really cut loose.
Ian Wright said on MOTD a few weeks ago "I can't wait for Leeds to get to 40 points"

Pascal Struijk was excellent yesterday, MOTM in my opinion. It has certainly softened the blow of the Llorente injury.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Looks like we are going to be safe this season.
It's a pity we are still not in the FA Cup. We could then have a good crack at it.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Who’d have predicted that after 20 games we’d have the same number of wins as Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal with a game in hand over 2 of them?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I think we could be capable of finishing above Southampton, Villa, Arsenal and Everton, so there's still something to aim for there, even once we're safe.

Regarding the injuries, it seems significant that it's all the new players. Remembering the injuries we had in Bielsa's first year, maybe it takes some a season to toughen up to the levels demanded. In that sense, it's not so much bad luck or mismanagement, but the risk and the price for consistently outrunning every other team in the league.

The CB positions are Cooper and Struijk's to lose now. Be ironic if our most successful premier league pairing ended up being the players we already had.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Leeds1000 wrote:.

Side note. Has anyone heard from Finlands finest Scotch Import Rab rant? He doesn't seem to have posted owt for awhile.
i have had a stroke and i am in hospital

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:09 am i have had a stroke and i am in hospital

Oh no, Rab, I hope you're ok. Much love to you for a swift recovery. x
hector

Post by hector »

I wish you a speedy recovery mate....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SaraM wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:08 am Regarding the injuries, it seems significant that it's all the new players. Remembering the injuries we had in Bielsa's first year, maybe it takes some a season to toughen up to the levels demanded. In that sense, it's not so much bad luck or mismanagement, but the risk and the price for consistently outrunning every other team in the league.
I think this is definitely a major factor. Easy to forget nobody had a pre season either.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:09 am i have had a stroke and i am in hospital

Wishing you a speedy recovery Rab :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Oh s**t Rab...Hope you're back to form soon
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Rab
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Not seen you put up a song for a while... that's why asked.

Get well soon Rab and all the best in your recovery. :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Truly sorry to hear your news Rab

Wishing you a speedy recovery from both Jill & I

Get well soon