The Leeds United Weekend Brunch Barcodes Pre-Match Debate

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The Leeds United Weekend Brunch Barcodes Pre-Match Debate

Post by Leeds1000 »

Your team line-up for our visit at Newcastle

I will go with the consensus. We need to see Llorente now he is fit. And Pablo is more creative than Rodrigo in the middle.

Are you expecting a return to form with the opportunity of Leeds achieving a first double this season over Newcastle

Yeah. The lads have had their winter break. No reason why they shouldn't beat Newcastle again comfortably.

What needs to change for Leeds to win this game?

The result. :) Having Llorente & Coops together and Ayling back on the right will bring the balance we have been missing. Providing Llorente is fit.

Which was your favourite goal in our 5-2 victory v the barcodes & in what order would you rate the five goals?

Harrison's goal hav it.

Do you think Newcastle are in a relegation battle?

Yes without doubt. One of the worst sides i have seen this season. Reading their boards occasionally i think its probably a blessing for the players that the fans are not at the ground. Its gone toxic up there with Bruce in charge. The fans bang on about how Bruce has taken them backwards. Looking from the outside its hard to disagree.

Will you be surprised if Steve Bruce remains in charge at Newcastle?

He seems a decent enough bloke Bruce, but i think a few more losses and even Ashley will start to panic. How much does a Championship Newcastle wipe from the value of the club? He will try and poach Sam Alardyce from WB and offer him a £100m staying up bonus.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Only thing I can say '64... on your Line up..
Agree..agree and I agree mate.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

paddy parrott wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:12 pm Only thing I can say '64... on your Line up..
Agree..agree and I agree mate.
Thank you Paddy

A few of us have gone for that line-up, just hope the most important man at our club thinks so :)
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

1) Your team line-up for our visit at Newcastle
Meslier, Dallas, Coops, Llorente, Ayling, KP, Klich, Hernandez, Raphinha, Rodders, Harrison

I'd like to see Rodrigo play as CF with Hernandez behind as I think with everyone else in position Rodders could shine in that formation.

Failing that, happy for Bamford to play CF with Rodders to replace Pablo as I don't think he will have the legs for the full 90.

2) Are you expecting a return to form with the opportunity of Leeds achieving a first double this season over Newcastle
Yes, with a proper backline and KP in the middle, and everyone in natural positions for the first time in ages.

3) What needs to change for Leeds to win this game?
As above #2. No square pegs in round holes. As Elland (I think) said, I think Llorente will surprise us and he's just the guy to mark Wilson or St Maximin out.

4) Which was your favourite goal in our 5-2 victory v the barcodes & in what order would you rate the five goals?

Bamford leaping header =5
Rodrigo diving header =3
Dallas bounce off the ground header =4
Alioski one on one finish after a typical Leeds move on the break =2
Harrison's 25 yard strike =1

5) Who are Newcastle's most influential/dangerous players?
Wilson, St. Max, Almiron

6) Have you attended a game St James Park, if so your matchday experience or favourite moments?
No, and then I realise most games I've ever attended seem to be at lower league stadia.

7) Do you think Newcastle are in a relegation battle?
Absolutely. They're naff. Without Wilson they'd be nowhere.

8) Will you be surprised if Steve Bruce remains in charge at Newcastle?
The manager merry go-round will continue at the barcodes until Ashley gives up the reins to a new buyer.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:49 pm Symptomatic of us not recruiting a LB and #10 in summer. Not recruiting a ten was criminal considering the amount of wingers we have. But then again, apparently Harrison's a number 9, so what do I know :lol:

Alioski is another inconsistent performer for me, same as JH, Rodders, etc.

You could be right with Pablo, he seems to have struggled with passing and keeping up with play when he has got chance this season. But still our most creative player imo. The training must also take it's toll on him, and maybe that's showing with the hamstring injuries. Could easy be on his way in the summer, hopefully along with several others as we look to upgrade the squad.

Costa is the biggest disappointment for me :(

Yeah, I feel like Poveda hasn't had a fair crack yet. Although, he was about our best player in that debacle at Crawley, not saying much that though :roll:
Agree on Costa mate, really thought he had turned a corner earlier this season but seemingly not.

Makes the fact he cost over £20mil all the more poor.

Poveda was our best player vs Crawley although as you say thats not saying much.

However, i do think some of our lot are to comfortable, Harrison, Bamford, Klich, Ayling, Dallas etc. There position is never under threat and it should be imo if for no other reason than motivation.

The fact we arent after a 10/8 is poor imo, its the one position we really have no options.

Rodders doesnt work consistently, Pablo is 36, Dallas tries hard but he is a failed winger for a reason, technically poor.

We lack that creative player in cm and it will be a failure if we dont get one imo in January.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Lumiukko wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:44 pm 1) Your team line-up for our visit at Newcastle
Meslier, Dallas, Coops, Llorente, Ayling, KP, Klich, Hernandez, Raphinha, Rodders, Harrison

I'd like to see Rodrigo play as CF with Hernandez behind as I think with everyone else in position Rodders could shine in that formation.

There is a few of us would like to see that happen Lumi, even if its off the bench to start with. My guess is Marcelo will have in back in the Midfield against Newcastle. He may look good in that game due to the poor opposition but its a stop gap at best for me.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lumiukko wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:44 pm 1) Your team line-up for our visit at Newcastle

Failing that, happy for Bamford to play CF with Rodders to replace Pablo as I don't think he will have the legs for the full 90.
Worth a try during a game, would need the class of Pablo to play that system. My concern is Marcelo has Roberts higher than Hernandez in his pecking order!
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:33 pm Agree on Costa mate, really thought he had turned a corner earlier this season but seemingly not.

Makes the fact he cost over £20mil all the more poor.

Poveda was our best player vs Crawley although as you say thats not saying much.

However, i do think some of our lot are to comfortable, Harrison, Bamford, Klich, Ayling, Dallas etc. There position is never under threat and it should be imo if for no other reason than motivation.

The fact we arent after a 10/8 is poor imo, its the one position we really have no options.

Rodders doesnt work consistently, Pablo is 36, Dallas tries hard but he is a failed winger for a reason, technically poor.

We lack that creative player in cm and it will be a failure if we dont get one imo in January.
I agree - I think one aspect of MB's managerial style which I have never been able to understand or agree with is his philosophy of giving a monopoly on starting positions to certain favoured players. No competition for places means complacency and inconsistency. Loyalty and favouritism should not be confused. Harrison is the best example of this - I think he has started just about every game since he arrived at the club, yet the consistency of his performances do not merit this. I do sometimes wonder if it's because of the Guardiola connection.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Yet to score a goal in 2021....

The LUFC goal of the month award is going to be interesting
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Ron Swanson wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:19 am 1. Meslier, Ayling, Cooper, Llorente, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Hernandez, Harrison, Raphinha, Bamford.

2. Yes, I'd like to see us really take the game to Newcastle, who are lacking in confidence terribly, and I think we will get a result.

3. I'd like us to go back to plan A, instead of needlessly playing lads out of position. Bielsa is occasionally guilty of trying to be too clever. Also... goalies playing straight passes should be fined a week's wages. Please never have Struijk in midfield again.

4. Rodrigo's header.

5. None - all shite.

6. Yes, about five years ago. Can't remember who they were playing though. We left at HT and went to the pub.

7. Yes, I think they'll go down as well.

8. Not really, Ashley just wants to keep them in the PL and sell ASAP. He wouldn't want to sack another manager.
I think the part in bold is spot on, and yes, goalies need to be banned from making straight passes - there's no need to take those kind of risks.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Wtf is a straight pass...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

One would assume a ball into someone 20 25 yards out ,back to play with no idea whats going on around them . A regular occurrence of late.!!!!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

That would be a bad pass or mis-communication, I'd say 95% of all passes are straight passes ..anything else would have to have curl on it or the ability to change direction halfway along it's course..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote:One would assume a ball into someone 20 25 yards out ,back to play with no idea whats going on around them . A regular occurrence of late.!!!!
Yes , I f hate those passes because 90% of the time we don't control it and get bullied off the ball . The receiving players really need to work on their hold-up play .

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:37 am I agree - I think one aspect of MB's managerial style which I have never been able to understand or agree with is his philosophy of giving a monopoly on starting positions to certain favoured players. No competition for places means complacency and inconsistency. Loyalty and favouritism should not be confused. Harrison is the best example of this - I think he has started just about every game since he arrived at the club, yet the consistency of his performances do not merit this. I do sometimes wonder if it's because of the Guardiola connection.
Would agree mate

Ive never been a fan of the small squad in truth, its ok if we were a Man City and could have a small squad of quality players but we arent and we have a small squad with many players in it not Prem class.

Lack of rotation imo has always been an issue but it also links into the small squad, we havent any options really.

I would prefer a 2 per position squad.

I know we technically have a 25 man squad but in reality we rarely use anyone outside of the main 18.

To progress imo we need at least 22 first team ready players so that everyone knows their position is under threat all the time, to create a competition for places and a rotation option.

I dont see the logic in playing underperfoming players week in week out.

But thats where MB differs i suppose from most coaches, he trusts the system over the individual.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:03 pm Wtf is a straight pass...
The pass through the penalty spot straight to Phillips & Ayling stood on the edge of the box being closed down from behind
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What makes it a straight pass ? And what does a crooked pass look like.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:37 am I agree - I think one aspect of MB's managerial style which I have never been able to understand or agree with is his philosophy of giving a monopoly on starting positions to certain favoured players. No competition for places means complacency and inconsistency. Loyalty and favouritism should not be confused. Harrison is the best example of this - I think he has started just about every game since he arrived at the club, yet the consistency of his performances do not merit this. I do sometimes wonder if it's because of the Guardiola connection.
Bielsa is like a cat, he never changes his habits.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:20 pm One would assume a ball into someone 20 25 yards out ,back to play with no idea whats going on around them . A regular occurrence of late.!!!!
Exactly ! If the opposition are pressing hard, then a player with back to play is likely to be robbed of the ball quite easily. It's impossible to focus on receiving the pass and seeing what is going on around you with your back to the opposition, especially when opposing teams are desperate to cut off the supply to Phillips, which often happens these days.

To build up from the back we rely on a diamond formation of the keeper, the 2 CBs going wide and the DM. Passing to the CBs or the DM can be risky options if the opposition are pressing. As the FBs have pushed into midfield, a far less risky option is a longer diagonal pass to either of the FBs, Picture below of Dallas circled on the wing against Liverpool. It resulted in a Leeds goal. A pass to either of the CBs might have meant trouble, and a straight pass to Phillips would have been suicidal. Plus that way you bypass their press in one pass.
Attachments
Leedsbuildup.png
Leedsbuildup.png (313.04 KiB) Viewed 873 times
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:21 pm Would agree mate

Ive never been a fan of the small squad in truth, its ok if we were a Man City and could have a small squad of quality players but we arent and we have a small squad with many players in it not Prem class.

Lack of rotation imo has always been an issue but it also links into the small squad, we havent any options really.

I would prefer a 2 per position squad.

I know we technically have a 25 man squad but in reality we rarely use anyone outside of the main 18.

To progress imo we need at least 22 first team ready players so that everyone knows their position is under threat all the time, to create a competition for places and a rotation option.

I dont see the logic in playing underperfoming players week in week out.

But thats where MB differs i suppose from most coaches, he trusts the system over the individual.
Agree with all that Cjay :tup: