Leeds Utd v Brighton Match Thread - Casilla starts in net as Meslier missing for Leeds

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Brighton Match Thread - Casilla starts in net as Meslier missing for Leeds

Post by Cjay »

Ron Swanson wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:19 pm Alioski wasn’t first choice in the championship, yet he plays most weeks in the PL.

Bielsa really can’t rate Shackleton if he’ll pick Struijk in midfield ahead of him.

The whole thing is a clusterfuck. More players out of position than in.

If Hockaday was doing that week in week out fans would be going berserk.
Squads to small imo, no depth and a lack of quality all over the pitch.

But we have only been a Prem side for a few months, we arent going to win ever week

However the board and MB have to be careful, we arent safe yet and we have gone on long 5 6 7 8 9 10 game runs without winning under MB in both of his seasons in charge.

One of those could see us dragged into relegation contention especially given plenty of teams below us have games in hand.

It is concerning.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Overman
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds Utd v Brighton Match Thread - Casilla starts in net as Meslier missing for Leeds

Post by Overman »

SaraM wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:25 pm Each season with MB we have a rough patch around midway. Every time, without fail, fans lose their s**t and go into apocalypse mode. Every time, there are also reasons to see, with injuries, forced rotations, loss of form and, more rarely, superior play or tactics from the opposition. Every time also, we've shown the character, desire and quality to come through it and succeed. We are where we are for a reason. We have a superior coach, some excellent players, and a superb spirit and philosophy.

We were never going to win every game at this level. Is this the first time we've lost to a lower placed club? It takes us time to click into gear and build momentum. I feared a Cup hangover for this reason. We need games and continuity, not breaks and constant disruption. Players are returning to fitness and from suspension... we'll get it back.
I am not overly convinced Sara, we are in a different league now and the gulf in class is beginning to show. The majority of the squad is Championship standard, clearly MB has worked miracles in enabling them to reach that potential. However, we are seeing the limitations of this in terms of player ability. I do hope you're right though!
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

SaraM wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:25 pm Each season with MB we have a rough patch around midway. Every time, without fail, fans lose their s**t and go into apocalypse mode. Every time, there are also reasons to see, with injuries, forced rotations, loss of form and, more rarely, superior play or tactics from the opposition. Every time also, we've shown the character, desire and quality to come through it and succeed. We are where we are for a reason. We have a superior coach, some excellent players, and a superb spirit and philosophy.

We were never going to win every game at this level. Is this the first time we've lost to a lower placed club? It takes us time to click into gear and build momentum. I feared a Cup hangover for this reason. We need games and continuity, not breaks and constant disruption. Players are returning to fitness and from suspension... we'll get it back.
At last, the voice of reason 👍🏻
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Brighton aren't better than us, Potter isn't more astute than Bielsa. Just a frustrating game, following on from another frustrating game last week. Would have been handy to put another three points between us and Brighton. But overall we don't lose out too much in the table with the results around us. Week and a bit off now to assess and come back stronger.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:37 pmYou drunk?
I will be later 😊
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Overman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:33 pm I am not overly convinced Sara, we are in a different league now and the gulf in class is beginning to show. The majority of the squad is Championship standard, clearly MB has worked miracles in enabling them to reach that potential. However, we are seeing the limitations of this in terms of player ability. I do hope you're right though!
Exactly. 'every time without fail the fans lose their s**t ' means every year that we were in the championship or league 1. Our last experience of the PL was 17 years ago.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:35 pm I will be later 😊
Jill offers me a cuppa

Asked her for something stronger :tumbler: :tumbler: :tumbler: I need it after that
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

A lot of wise words Sara and I agree with a lot of what you've said.

Apart from potential injuries, my biggest concern at the moment is that the state of our pitch is undermining our style of play. That pitch won't be relaid until the summer, so that's a huge concern.

Yes, there are limitations in this squad and unavailability that's hurting us. But I believe that pitch kills us.

Still think we'll be okay and at least we should have decent surfaces to play on away from ER.

I know the squad needs upgraded but that is gonna take time and big money.

Keep the faith folks.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Why do fans always say things like this? No one on here has ever said we're going to win every game or isn't going to be hard. We are playing at a much higher level than the Championship now, so can't keep going on about what worked in the Championship. The fact is we have very little quality, struggle to create, concede loads and have too much space in midfield every week. We have no competition for places, so players can be keep coasting knowing they're never getting dropped.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

hector wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:28 pm Sorry but that is a crock of crap....

I was in the army as you know...
The harder we trained the easier it was in a war zone, and we were certainly beasted a lot back at camp, and we would never have survived a battle had we not been so fit.

So in summary, training hard does not make you loose fitness or stamina.
If you overtrain, it does. Marathan runners do not run a marathan as part of their training the day before a race.

In the Army, the training is hard, but i believe MB puts them through too much which is why they burn out long before the end of the season. All his club teams have suffered the same fate, which is why in 30 years of management he has won very little.

I too was in the services, royal navy for me....and yes i was involved in battles, but our skill was in using radar and knowing how to defend the ship and use the guns, not trying to run marathans in 2 hours
Oats
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Oats »

Harrison / Aloiski down the left has been successful most of the season - Raphinha scores coming in from the right - why change for the whole game!
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

I have alot of shares in Oslo stock exchange and what I'm thinking of doing is just to forget them and see what the result is in 6 months time, maybe I should just do same with Leeds, and see where we end at the end of the season? 8-)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:39 pm Jill offers me a cuppa

Asked her for something stronger :tumbler: :tumbler: :tumbler: I need it after that
I hear you mate. If we swallow the bitter pill now, it'll make our upcoming victories all the sweeter.

We'll be okay mate 😊
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Finnatic wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:34 pm At last, the voice of reason 👍🏻
That's me!

:roflmao:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Allrounder wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:46 pm I have alot of shares in Oslo stock exchange and what I'm thinking of doing is just to forget them and see what the result is in 6 months time, maybe I should just do same with Leeds, and see where we end at the end of the season? 8-)
Like I've said in the past AR, it's up to the players, MB and the management team to prove we belong at this level.

Doesn't matter a jot what we think 😉
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

No excuse for that performance after a two weeks break for much of the squad

It doesn't help when Bielsa plays half the team out of their natural positions :roll:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:44 pm A lot of wise words Sara and I agree with a lot of what you've said.

Apart from potential injuries, my biggest concern at the moment is that the state of our pitch is undermining our style of play. That pitch won't be relaid until the summer, so that's a huge concern.

Yes, there are limitations in this squad and unavailability that's hurting us. But I believe that pitch kills us.

Still think we'll be okay and at least we should have decent surfaces to play on away from ER.

I know the squad needs upgraded but that is gonna take time and big money.

Keep the faith folks.
The pitch did look absolutely shocking today.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

See some are going down the burnout route on here!

We still had more posession, we still cover more meters, we still make more passes. Today was about completing passes, better final balls and creativty, not fitness levels. Most of the team have had two weeks without a game and training will have been lighter given they haven't been able to get out on the grass.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

It wasn't burnout or tiredness. I think it's pretty obvious we need 2 games a week, or at least one game a week to maintain the level.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:44 pm Why do fans always say things like this? No one on here has ever said we're going to win every game or isn't going to be hard. We are playing at a much higher level than the Championship now, so can't keep going on about what worked in the Championship. The fact is we have very little quality, struggle to create, concede loads and have too much space in midfield every week. We have no competition for places, so players can be keep coasting knowing they're never getting dropped.
I agree - why are people banging on about fans panicking when we were playing in lower divisions ? That was then this is now.Some people have never mentally detached from the many years in the championship.

Talking about lack of competition for places - Bamford had 11 touches in 90 mins. Poveda in 15 mins had 13 touches...
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.