Big six proposal - Unbelievable or not!!!!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Big six proposal

Post by Irish Ian »

I think we should just be glad they have returned to the fold rather than get too involved with retribution.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

To show they are repentfull ... I think a donation of 50 million each from the ownerships of the Big (hearted :roflmao:) 6...(300 million quid) to be distributed amongst the lower levels of the leagues to aid towards recoverly after the pandemic...IMO this suggestion should be put forward to them, and let their collective conscience decide...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Nothing will happen, or nothing that means anything and that would be wrong....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am Whilst some were more hesitant than others they all knew what the ESL meant for the domestic game.

A severe punishment for the backstabbing and lies they must have told for probably years whilst all the planning was going on.

This contract had over 100 pages, it wasnt thought up overnight.

Super League is dead for now, besides after an embarrassing come down i dont think they would want to go running back to it so fast.

If we can be punished for not behaving in good faith surely they can all be punished for it to? Seems ideally suited really
while I agree the people at the top must have thought it up a while ago, I'm not convinced teams (especially city, arsenal, spurs and man city) were really involved until being given a take it or leave it offer last thursday to join the ESL.

I don't agree that they should be punished - but I don't think we are going to agree on that! :roflmao:
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:52 am Chelsea and Man City make more sense, for all Abramovich's faults he didnt buy Chelsea to make money primarily, he saved them and fancied playing real life football manager.

And Sheikh Mansour at Man City probably wipes his arse with £1000 notes.

Think the fear of being left behind motivated them hence why they both were the first to abandon it.

What punishment do you think fits the crime?
I really don't know . Too soft only lets them off or encourages other attempts , too hard and they may think what's to lose , go for it....ESL that is . I don't know what would hurt most , it's funny or ironic that even Man U fans think they should be punished , not all I guess , but some do . It's a tough one .
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Wasn't this the second bite of the cherry?

I don't think it's over - these scumbags will try again after a while, when they've had a chance to modify their approach and make it somewhat more acceptable.

Pep had it right - how can it be competition when, if you lose, there is no penalty - it's the American model all over.

I don't know, because no-one has explained it sufficiently, how this was meant to work. Were they going to leave their respective Premier Leagues and just play each other over a season, or were they going to carry on in said Premier Leagues and just play this competition in midweek independently of any other national competitions?

Greed has a lot to answer for!
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Unfortunately, the Premier League needs the broadcasting revenue generated by these six clubs. So they can't come down too hard on these clubs. The Premier League without Man U, Liverpool etc. is a much less valuable proposition, in terms of broadcasting rights.
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Norm wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:10 pm Wasn't this the second bite of the cherry?

I don't think it's over - these scumbags will try again after a while, when they've had a chance to modify their approach and make it somewhat more acceptable.

Pep had it right - how can it be competition when, if you lose, there is no penalty - it's the American model all over.

I don't know, because no-one has explained it sufficiently, how this was meant to work. Were they going to leave their respective Premier Leagues and just play each other over a season, or were they going to carry on in said Premier Leagues and just play this competition in midweek independently of any other national competitions?

Greed has a lot to answer for!
They were going to do the latter Norm. Carry on in the PL and play ESL in midweek. The result I imagine would have been the PL would have been treated in the same way the big teams treat the EFL cup, playing second teams etc and devaluing the whole set up along the way. All the glitz and glamour would become the ESL. I guess that is how they would have wanted it to pan out anyway.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Clacton White wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:55 pm I really don't know . Too soft only lets them off or encourages other attempts , too hard and they may think what's to lose , go for it....ESL that is . I don't know what would hurt most , it's funny or ironic that even Man U fans think they should be punished , not all I guess , but some do . It's a tough one .
They had Ed Woodward, they've been punished enough.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

They're all equally to blame. I wouldn't let any of them off. City in particular, like us, know what it's lie to have to play in the lower leagues and how their selfish actions would affect teams in leagues one and two. But they agreed anyway

As for this fear of being left behind that's also crap as tke likes of Dortmund, PSG and Bayern turned them down. My guess they were pencilled in for the final 3 spots....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:53 pm I think we should just be glad they have returned to the fold rather than get too involved with retribution.
Agreed.

Magnanimity in victory.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

So quelle surprise that we've heard not a peep from the football authorities about possible punishments for these clubs. I still reiterate that I don't buy the "don't punish the fans and players" argument. Wasn't the case when we were being mismanaged by owners, or Rangers FC in Scotland. As one comment I read said: Murder or attempted murder are both still punished. It should be remembered that these clubs sat in on potentially sensitive broadcasting rights negotiations whilst plotting the ESL. They also all signed into it...it wasn't just an idea. I do recognise that many of these clubs generate much of the broadcasting income for the EPL and CL but i don't see how a punishment for a year (points, or transfer embargos, or something) need affect that long-term.

To end on a humourous note, I saw this written somewhere: "This European Super League is like a lads night out before everyone asks their Mrs if it's alright."
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:36 pm Agreed.

Magnanimity in victory.

Bit like forgiving an abusive husband isn't it ... they apologise and then with no accountability they do it again ... Or winning a battle then giving the opposing forces their weapons back. This isn't going away unless the government change the law and make all uk football clubs like a listed building, you can own one but you cannot change it's status

Interestingly Brexit has been cited as a reason this cannot happen I've heard as it would interfere with the process. The main reason the Government stepped in

Also the chairman of Real has been quoted as saying the super league is essential for football existing past 2024 as the cost of players is unsustainable. In other news it looks like David Alaba will join Real for somewhere around 12M euros in wages and a contract running to 2026 ...

mmmm
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:54 pm Bit like forgiving an abusive husband isn't it ... they apologise and then with no accountability they do it again ... Or winning a battle then giving the opposing forces their weapons back. This isn't going away unless the government change the law and make all uk football clubs like a listed building, you can own one but you cannot change it's status

Interestingly Brexit has been cited as a reason this cannot happen I've heard as it would interfere with the process.

Also the chairman of Real has been quoted as saying the super league is essential for football existing past 2024 as the cost of players is unsustainable. In other news it looks like David Alaba will join Real for somewhere around 12M euros in wages and a contract running to 2026 ...

mmmm
Can change the laws without taking direct action against the teams. I wouldn't argue with that at all.

The owners have nobody to blame but themselves if they think the cost of players is not sustainable. Nobody's holding a gun to their heads when they sign the contracts.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:36 am In a couple of weeks time, United could make history as the first team to crash out of the Champions League, the Europa League and the European Super League in one season.
:evil:

We weren't in any of those, H.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 pm :evil:

We weren't in any of those, H.
:) :verysad:
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Florentino Perez still rambling on. . .

Super League isnt dead its just on hold.

Barcelona, Juventus, AC Milan and Real Madrid are still commited he says

English teams withdrew because of pressure from UEFA not Fans.

English teams havent withdrawn they have contracts.

Blah blah blah

Oh and 3 YEARS THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON!!!!! 3 YEARS THOSE BACKSTABBING GITS
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

My motto is: Contented with little, yet wishing for more.

Charles Lamb

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Seeing that they've been nearly men of late, while not being a Spurs fan, I've sort of wanted them to get some success at the expense of the usual quadrant of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd. Now as far as I am concerned they can also get stuffed.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.