Big six proposal - Unbelievable or not!!!!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Big six proposal - Unbelievable or not!!!!

Post by LUFC_BOS »

Folks
Not sure if folks have heard this before, posted on beebs website.

Not a fan of this approach. I am ok with helping the EFL, but this smacks of total control by a small set of so called elite clubs.

Liverpool and Manchester United are leading
The plans would see the Premier League hand over the £250m bailout required by the Football League to stave off a financial catastrophe among its 72 clubs.

Under the proposals, the Premier League would be reduced to 18 teams, the EFL Cup in its present form would be abolished and the Community Shield scrapped.

In addition, the top flight's voting system - where a 14-club majority is required to pass any proposals - would be changed.

It is thought English Football League (EFL) chairman Rick Parry is in favour of the plan, first reported by the Daily Telegraph.

It is understood Liverpool's owners, the Fenway Sports Group, came forward with the initial plan, which has been worked on by United co-chairman Joel Glazer. It is anticipated it will receive the backing of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur - the other members of England's 'big six'.

The idea is to address long-standing EFL concerns about the huge gap in funding between its divisions and the Premier League by handing over 25% of the annual income, though the current parachute payment system would be scrapped.

There would be a £250m up-front payment to address the existing crisis created by the coronavirus pandemic. In addition, the Football Association would receive what is being described as a £100m "gift".

Manchester United are among the clubs driving the change

No date has been set for the proposed new-style league to be in operation but sources have suggested 2022-23 is not out of the question.

In order to get down from 20 to 18, it is anticipated four clubs would be relegated directly, with two promoted from the Championship. In addition, there would be play-offs involving the team to finish 16th in the Premier League and those in third, fourth and fifth in the second tier.

It is also planned that, as well as the 'big six', ever-present league member Everton, West Ham United and Southampton - ninth and 11th respectively in the list of clubs who have featured in the most Premier League seasons - would be granted special status.

If six of those nine clubs vote in favour of a proposal, it would be enough to get it passed.

There is no mention of Aston Villa and Newcastle United, both of whom have featured in more Premier League campaigns than Manchester
City.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Big six proposal

Post by Smudge3920 »

Some form of reform is needed, no question... but this is to radical... There are many ways to level the playing field without securing the future of the established so called elite clubs... This, IMO is proof now the "big six" are getting worried as deep pockets is not going to be enough in the future... With owners/coache's/managers like Radz and Bielsa many are going to adopt their methods (finally)...Good post Boss...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54499998
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

A power grab disguised as a reform, nice.

Making it easier for the status quo to be maintained.

Making it easier for them to fit in their money spinning pre season tours.

Making it easier for teams on the slide like Manure, Wet Spam etc to cling on to status.

Change ffp rules so that Manure and Liverpool dont have to worry about cashed up rivals.

Voting power over new ownership proposals just in case a new powerhouse is created, cant have that.

This is a desperate power grab designed to keep the power with the few.

If this passes thats it for the Prem
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

I imagine anything put forward by the big 6 is good for the big 6 only and no one else pretty much . A few clubs might see themselves as fairly safe , but all in all it benefits the bigger clubs only while the rest are left out to dry . There are middling clubs in the Prem who given a bad season could find themselves in the s**t . I believe one proposal is no parachute payments , which creates a more level playing field in EFL , but for sure you don't want a relegation battle . Looking at 2022 for this I believe . The rich get richer??????? Maybe a timely time to have got promoted :duno:
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Also I wonder if and when a European super League may come along.....that happens the money in the Prem will drop considerably . It's talked about now and again though haven't heard it mooted for a while .
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Great post in the comments thread of the article...

" So Liddypool and Man Urinals want to reduce prem by 2 teams... They wont be missed :lol: "
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Clacton White wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:15 pm Also I wonder if and when a European super League may come along.....that happens the money in the Prem will drop considerably . It's talked about now and again though haven't heard it mooted for a while .
Good point mate, I have been waiting for that now for quite awhile...
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LUFC_BOS »

:idea: hi
Clacton White wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:15 pm Also I wonder if and when a European super League may come along.....that happens the money in the Prem will drop considerably . It's talked about now and again though haven't heard it mooted for a while .
Next step Clacton white, some are more equal than others.

Ashamed of Fenway Group here, so much owed by the Red Sox Nation to exorcise the ghosts of past Sox supporters.

But this is avarice at its best and lack of knowledge about the history of Football in England. Rick Perry being desperate and putting the other Prem teams on alert.

But EFL and non league do need to be supported. Quandry here given some of the owners in the Championship are not benevolent to say the least. It is business I guess! Love the power grab when there is adversity or "opportunity" couched in professional commercial terms.

The times we live i !
Lorimer46
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @dsc67

Post by Lorimer46 »

Nothing but a simple power grab. The rich get richer and stuff the rest.
A European Super League is inevitable some time soon due to the money it would generate
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

I'm done with football if this power grab is passed in the means mentioned in the OP. Very big analogy with current politics too but I won't open that can of worms here. I agree that EFL and lower league clubs need support, but this stinks of taking the current Covid crisis as a ways of passing the kind of long-term changes that would be unnecessary in 'normal' times. Right now, I think a bailout for lower league clubs, and some other minor reform is OK, but we should see where we are next summer before making changes on an uncertain projection of the future.

I'd hate to think the fans of some of these clubs mentioned (Wet Spam and Chelsea aside, who I've never met a likable fan), would feel comfortable with removing all jeopardy of relegation for themselves.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I dont agree with it all but some of it is worth considering.

I dont like the youth farming element though.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Villanois
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villanois »

Any positive proposals are massively out weighed by the scandalous power grab. The arrogance of the Fenway group is astounding. To take advantage of the damage the covid crisis has done to football to bully their way into a position where they can bully even further is outrageous.
I don't suppose we should hold our breath waiting for the Tory hating Liverpool supporters to condemn this act of greed and opportunism.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Smacks of blackmail to me.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Don’t mind some of these proposals.

Scrapping the league cup would be fine with me, especially if UEFA are going to clog up the fixtures even more by going ahead with this ‘Conference League’ idea.

I agree that reform is needed to address the gap in funding between the Championship and PL. I agree in theory with funding being given to the Championship across the board as opposed to as parachute payments.

Where this all falls to pieces for me is this ‘special status’ bullsh*t. Every single team in this league has earned the right to be there - as we well know - so equal voting rights must remain in place. Everton, Southampton and West Ham to get ‘special status’ too, what happens when one of them gets relegated then?

Been hearing about this over the last couple of years too.

This would ruin English football, period.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

No coincidence that Liverpool and Manure have received their worst beatings in recent times the last weekend. Also said that discussions have been taking place since 2017, when Leicester won the Premier League. They are scared stiff that the "rest" are catching them up. The idea that £250M should be allocated to the rest of the football pyramid is a good one, as is the £100M for grass roots. However, the notion that those outside of the "top 9" should pay for it, including loss of parachute payments, is just pure greed.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

LUFC_BOS wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:57 pm :idea: hi

Next step Clacton white, some are more equal than others
Exactly how Simon Jordan described it today on Talksport ( the proposal , not Euro league ). Apparently the top 6 would have special voting rights , Everton, WHU and Newcastle as longest serving Premium outside the big 6 have extra rights , meaning any other club basically a guest and no say . Not a one club one vote either or majority required on any vote....big 6 say so and they get what they want regardless . However , Simon Jordan also says it's a no goer as it's like turkey's voting for Xmas if you're not in the big 6 .
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:16 am No coincidence that Liverpool and Manure have received their worst beatings in recent times the last weekend. Also said that discussions have been taking place since 2017, when Leicester won the Premier League. They are scared stiff that the "rest" are catching them up. The idea that £250M should be allocated to the rest of the football pyramid is a good one, as is the £100M for grass roots. However, the notion that those outside of the "top 9" should pay for it, including loss of parachute payments, is just pure greed.
Nail on head comes to mind.

I think there is a genuine fear from those 2 that they could be overtaken in seasons to come.

Leicester arent going away, Wolves have been 7th two seasons running, Everton finally seem to be getting it right, Villa have started well and have the support and finance to go further, we have similar.

Thats 5 clubs who could all break the top 6 this season and Manure especially are in real danger this season imo.

Manure cant afford to fall out of the top 6, they cant afford for other clubs to get past them or even worse like Newcastle almost did, get serious backing.

Its a nightmare for those 2.

It stinks of greed and pull the ladder up Jack.

Not quite sure what Southampton and West Ham have done to get "special status".

Neither of those 2 clubs have ever been on anymore than nodding terms with the top 6.

Its disgusting really, wait till a global pandemic has shaken football and the EFL to its knees, then go "ah well we will help you but we want you to help us first or you dont get any of our pots of cash".

The fact Rick Parry (a Liverpool fan and former employee) is involved makes it even worse, how much is he making?

Screams of dodgy backhanders and back rooms.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LUFC_BOS »

Cjay wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:47 am Nail on head comes to mind.

I think there is a genuine fear from those 2 that they could be overtaken in seasons to come.

Leicester arent going away, Wolves have been 7th two seasons running, Everton finally seem to be getting it right, Villa have started well and have the support and finance to go further, we have similar.

Thats 5 clubs who could all break the top 6 this season and Manure especially are in real danger this season imo.

Manure cant afford to fall out of the top 6, they cant afford for other clubs to get past them or even worse like Newcastle almost did, get serious backing.

Its a nightmare for those 2.

It stinks of greed and pull the ladder up Jack.

Not quite sure what Southampton and West Ham have done to get "special status".

Neither of those 2 clubs have ever been on anymore than nodding terms with the top 6.

Its disgusting really, wait till a global pandemic has shaken football and the EFL to its knees, then go "ah well we will help you but we want you to help us first or you dont get any of our pots of cash".

The fact Rick Parry (a Liverpool fan and former employee) is involved makes it even worse, how much is he making?

Screams of dodgy backhanders and back rooms.

Ahh, i did not put this together , interesting. Given the outcry today, let's see where this takes us. Given the serious investors who are outside thee elite six teams, Villa and Wolves come to mind, there would be some serious challenges to this move.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Southampton and West ham because they have had more seasons in the top flight apparently . Man City get a seat even though you wouldn't exactly say they had been a permanent fixture. Money talking again hopefully it is voted down, but real money starts to filter down the leagues. Scandalous the way things have progressed under the premier league.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

How Covid returned English football's resources debate to centre stage

This from the Guardian's Paul MacInnes 1st October 2020...
In 1990, when the top clubs in England were seeking to escape the control of the Football League and create a new competition, they approached the Football Association for their blessing. Without it, they reasoned, any plans for a “Premier League” would be dead in the water.
The FA was ready to listen. It was in competition with the Football League for primacy in the English game and had a blueprint for a new competition that might benefit English football as a whole. Cut the number of teams in the top flight to 18, create a regional league structure underneath and make the whole package fit for TV. Fewer dead rubbers, more local derbies, it would be an irresistible proposition. And the FA would take 40% of any TV deal to share among the game.
This plan never became reality. The commercial interests of the clubs hoping to join the new league were an obstacle that the FA, mysteriously even to those involved at the time, was never willing to confront. The Premier League was born shortly afterwards and kept its revenues to itself. Having been given the endorsement of the governing body, its “founders agreement” pretty much cut the FA out of things too. Nice doing business with you
Thirty years laterand the question of what obligations the elite of English football owe to the rest of the game are once again front and centre
Anyone inclined to hold their breath and wait for a solution may want to watch out for their cheeks turning blue. In this odd Mexican standoff, where not everyone has a gun, there is a reluctance to draw first. But what everyone can agree on is that the crisis is real and must be addressed. The hope remains that more clubs won’t have to go under before something is done
A really interesting oped, good financial stats incorporated into the piece also (Link below)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ntre-stage