County Cricket Championship - DOWN DOWN, DEEPER THAN DOWN.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Sports Newsflash

Post by Johnboy1965 »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:59 pm That's the spirit johnboy.... :)
Agree with all that. Test cricket is the be all and end all of the sport we love and always will be. But....why not have some fun in between tests matches. The players love The Hundred, the ex players in commentary love it, the crowds seem to love it, the TV audiences seem to love it, hey, what a great advert for Cricket.
I'm envious if you do get to Headingly.....let us know.....and photos please :)
Couldn't make todays game due to other commitments but will let you know if I get to any others.
been to a few T20 games at Headingley which were brilliant, usually against Lancashire which was a bit of added spice! :fire:
Used to love going to Scarborough when Yorkshire played there- that was a bit messy with all the drinking but a fantastic experience and atmosphere ( from what I remember) ! :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Vince was playing faaip, out 5th ball for 0
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:13 pm And it's a big yes from me :)

A bit of fun with a cricket bat and ball....what's wrong with that and watching ones fave players.

I for one love a test match, my fave format of the game. But I can also enjoy other formats when no test matches are available.

Each to their own though
I'm fully in agreement with you Swannie :clap:

No bigger purist than myself, and I really enjoy the format of international test match cricket, but that's what I grew up with. As a kid we played cricket on the village green all summer long, and then football the rest of the year.

But kids these days have so much competition for their attention, particularly from the digital avenue, that to get them back into cricket, as well as parents showing them how to play, the cricket authorities need to find a way to grab their attention in a vibrant and colourful way.

So, I believe The Hundred achieves that, and if you can get them hooked they'll then maybe graduate to county and test cricket, i.e. let's be inclusive, and not exclusive as time's moved on.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:27 pm I'm fully in agreement with you Swannie :clap:

No bigger purist than myself, and I really enjoy the format of international test match cricket, but that's what I grew up with. As a kid we played cricket on the village green all summer long, and then football the rest of the year.

But kids these days have so much competition for their attention, particularly from the digital avenue, that to get them back into cricket, as well as parents showing them how to play, the cricket authorities need to find a way to grab their attention in a vibrant and colourful way.

So, I believe The Hundred achieves that, and if you can get them hooked they'll then maybe graduate to county and test cricket, i.e. let's be inclusive, and not exclusive as time's moved on.
What a great post Riot :)

Some very good points well put
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:12 pm What a great post Riot :)

Cheers Swannie,

I believe all the sports like cricket, tennis, golf, snooker, etc, that are now not mainstream, need to morph to gather the attention of the younger generations. I count myself as lucky not to have grown up in this digital age.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

South Africa v British & Irish Lions kicking off at 5pm UK time, if anyone's interested.

I watched bits of the warm up matches, but it's just not the same with no fans attending.

Still gonna watch it though and cheer the Lions on :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I have it recorded ... was out this afternoon for a while
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:43 am Couldn't make todays game due to other commitments but will let you know if I get to any others.
been to a few T20 games at Headingley which were brilliant, usually against Lancashire which was a bit of added spice! :fire:
Used to love going to Scarborough when Yorkshire played there- that was a bit messy with all the drinking but a fantastic experience and atmosphere ( from what I remember) ! :)
Yes do. Hopefully you'll get to Headingley for one of the hundred.
I used to go to Scarborough on holiday as a kid and stayed in a holiday flat not far from the cricket ground, had to walk past it to get into town and on to south beach....I remember the excitement when Yorkshire were playing and I could just see a little bit of the ground.
I've always loved cricket (but didnt realise it 'till the 2005 Ashes)....
Used to be dragged to games to watch my Dad play cricket for the GPO as a toddler :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:12 pm What a great post Riot :)

You're not pissed off that the 100 is screwing up Yorkshires Royal London team. Which is a much better tournament .. Leicester currently 310-5 with a few balls left. Gonna be a tough chase

I did watch the Southern Brave game, with not a lot of interest. I personally don't think it'll be a gateway for young fans getting into the longer form and tbh once Vince was gone I fast forwarded to the last few balls of both innings and guessed the result easily after about 30 balls
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Rehan Ahmed looks a prospect, playing for Leics today against Yorks he's only 16 and a leggie .. Forget the 100 go watch that RL game
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:14 pm You're not pissed off that the 100 is screwing up Yorkshires Royal London team. Which is a much better tournament .. Leicester currently 310-5 with a few balls left. Gonna be a tough chase

I did watch the Southern Brave game, with not a lot of interest. I personally don't think it'll be a gateway for young fans getting into the longer form and tbh once Vince was gone I fast forwarded to the last few balls of both innings and guessed the result easily after about 30 balls
I think what's happened here is that The Hundred was supposed to happen last year, had a date sensibly fitted into the cricket season, but then of course cancelled, so its had to be squeezed in this year between international matches, hence colliding with the Royal London one day cup. Something else down to Covid
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I thought the 100 was here to stay? Irrespective of year.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:14 pm You're not pissed off that the 100 is screwing up Yorkshires Royal London team. Which is a much better tournament .. Leicester currently 310-5 with a few balls left. Gonna be a tough chase

Yorkshire (329 - 3) beat Leicestershire (327 - 7 ) by 7 wickets

So no, not pissed off :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yes I saw that, was much happier watching Yorks yesterday than the 100.. and I'm not a Yorks fan.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:25 am Yes I saw that, was much happier watching Yorks yesterday than the 100.. and I'm not a Yorks fan.
Harry Duke & George Hill homegrown talent & both only 20yo.

Very impressive.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:27 am Harry Duke & George Hill homegrown talent & both only 20yo.

Very impressive.
The only upside from the 100 is that the youngsters have to be played, and some are taking their chance. I very much like the look of Duke, Hill and Revis. Mind you, the Harry Brook I saw hit 62 from 31 balls in the 100, looked a completely different player than the one I saw get a 200+ against India for the England U19's. He is a very special talent, and no doubt we will soon lose him to the full England setup.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

How is Parkinson playing for the Northern whatevers tonight, when he played for Manscum whatevers last night ?
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:48 pm How is Parkinson playing for the Northern whatevers tonight, when he played for Manscum whatevers last night ?
Turns out it is his identical twin brother
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:25 pm Turns out it is his identical twin brother
Not that old scam ... :duno: ... :-D
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Ben Sokes to take 'indefinite break' from all Cricket with immediate effect and has withdrawn from Englands squad for the five test series against India.
The all rounder will prioritise his mental wellbeing and rest his left index finger which has not fully healed